Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

5 days before expiration, convert to which program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

I've got five days before my 57,xxx starpoints expire. I live in HNL, so a one night stay to extend life would be pretty expensive. And don't have an SPG credit card.

The problem here is that I will be accepting on a new job overseas which I don't know where I will be assigned to, so I don't know where I will travel from or to.

I have most of my miles with BA, a pretty good chunk at United, and small amounts with AA and Delta.

I'm leaning towards transferring to Star Alliance, either ANA, Aeroplan or US Airways (none of which I have membership with nor have flown on, but am considering because the transfer rate of 1:1 is better than United/Continental's 2:1), but wondering if you folks think *Alliance is the best general program to go with.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by dougouolo
I've got five days before my 57,xxx starpoints expire. I live in HNL, so a one night stay to extend life would be pretty expensive. And don't have an SPG credit card.

The problem here is that I will be accepting on a new job overseas which I don't know where I will be assigned to, so I don't know where I will travel from or to.

I have most of my miles with BA, a pretty good chunk at United, and small amounts with AA and Delta.

I'm leaning towards transferring to Star Alliance, either ANA, Aeroplan or US Airways (none of which I have membership with nor have flown on, but am considering because the transfer rate of 1:1 is better than United/Continental's 2:1), but wondering if you folks think *Alliance is the best general program to go with.

Thanks.
go dine at one of the HNL properties will get your points extended. for 57k+ starpoints, i would probably do something to keep it in the account...

EDIT:
link to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...hout-stay.html

Last edited by myperks; Jan 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm Reason: added link to info thread
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Agree with dining out at a Starwood hotel restaurant. Note: not every restaurant server or even restaurant manager knows how to credit the points. Just confirm with the front desk staff if there's confusion. And make sure to verify that the points register within a day or two.

Also, phone SPG. Tell them that OMG, you just realized that your Starpoints will expire; ask if they can waive the expiration deadline by a few weeks or months.
1. Worked for me.
2. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm sure you know, but just in case... you don't need to turn over all your points, you just need some qualifying activity in the account.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you just need activity to keep your points in good standing. You could always punt and just get a magazine subscription or do a points donation. It's not a great redemption, but I think it's less than 2,000 points.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vandalby
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you just need activity to keep your points in good standing. You could always punt and just get a magazine subscription or do a points donation. It's not a great redemption, but I think it's less than 2,000 points.
That's incorrect. the activity needs to come from a hotel or CC.

The hotel dining thing is probably the easiest.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:53 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Cash and points stay or points only stay would also keep the account alive.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks, didn't know about the dining option and that's what I'm gonna do.

I don't think spending points on stays is considered an eligible activity. I remember a couple of years ago that it wasn't for me.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by dougouolo
Thanks, didn't know about the dining option and that's what I'm gonna do.

I don't think spending points on stays is considered an eligible activity. I remember a couple of years ago that it wasn't for me.
You are correct. Glad you didn't follow my recommendation blindly.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Cash and points stay or points only stay would also keep the account alive.
No.

The ONLY ways are:

1) a pay stay.
2) a $10 and above dining at a restaurant onsite that is owned by the property, not a 3rd party outfit.
3) own the SPG CC.

It is well explained by the Lurker in the link posted a few posts above.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Happy
No.

The ONLY ways are:

1) a pay stay.
2) a $10 and above dining at a restaurant onsite that is owned by the property, not a 3rd party outfit.
3) own the SPG CC.

Thanks.

It was also already corrected 2 posts up. I got told.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Happy
No.

The ONLY ways are:

1) a pay stay.
3) own the SPG CC.

Shouldn't this be "use the SPG CC"? If there's no activity on SPG, they won't know that you have the CC.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by freeloader
That's incorrect. the activity needs to come from a hotel or CC.

The hotel dining thing is probably the easiest.
Thanks, I stand happily corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.