Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Your Best and Worst Stay of 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
What's Your Best and Worst Stay of 2011?

I know people post upgrade successes, but what were your best and worst stays of 2011 and why? For me:

Best:

St. Regis Beijing in April of this year. Was upgraded to a really nice suite, no questions asked. They met me at the airport and walked me through Customs and picked me up in a chauffeured car at a private airport entrance. The breakfast buffet was quite a spread and the property was beautiful.

Worst:

Westin Kanaapali (Maui) in February. My room was given away despite numerous calls to the property to let them know I was going to arrive at 8:30 p.m. I booked an ocean view room but received a room looking at a parking lot. I immediately checked in, saw that my room for 6 nights was not what I paid for, and immediately checked out. No effort to remedy the problem. Waited 45 mins to check in w/ no dedicated Platinum/Gold reception desk and one person working the front desk. Overwhelming and crowded property and didn't get a relaxed vibe from it. Went up the road to the Ritz Carlton.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:13 pm

Best : August Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa , Gold Coast

Hotel full owing to a conference , yet SPG found me a room with points (10k) at the last minute when no bookings available on spg.com. Upgraded to Royal Suite ($2000/ night). Nice bottle of red waiting. Would have loved to have stayed longer.

Worst : January Le Meridien , Taipei

Upgraded to Exec Suite on Top floor. Great room but Hotel had many service issues that management struggled with. I had the boardroom booked, for a series of meetings , that comes off the Lounge but at the last moment they said it had been double booked. What was it being used for for the whole afternoon...staff training.
Hotel has potential but is being micro managed. GM (Daven) simply did not care.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
Worst: Was at a very respectable non-Starwood hotel in Beijing. A lot of travel really messed up my back, so figured I'd get a massage. Did not want to go to a questionable place, so seeing how the hotel was well known and all, I went down to the hotel spa. They said they could send someone to my room if I wanted. I agreed. A girl came to the hotel and quoted prices with and without "happy ending". "Umm, I really just wanted a massage, no happy ending". "Oh, then I'll send another girl". What the hecK . The other girl came, started the massage and then asked me if I wanted to turn around and get the "full treatment" for only 500RMB more. I asked her to leave and she suggested doing it for 400RMB more. Hehe, no, I really only wanted a massage but no more.

No issues with people's lifestyles, but that soured my experience at that hotel.

BEST: All other experiences were fairly good. Nothing stood out.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
BEST:

I unfortunately did not have any over the top stays this year. In the past, great experiences at Scottsdale @, Hoboken W and Toronto Sheraton.

WORST

Every stay at the Meriden 4 points (3)
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
BEST:

Grosvenor House Dubai, but I'm hoping the St. Regis Punta Mita will be the best for my stay in a couple of weeks.

WORST:

Sheraton Jumerah Beach Resort.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Best - Le Merdien Shanghai - stayed 4 nights on C&P and 1 night using AA miles. Brought 7 guests to the lounge during happy hour. Although I was only supposed to bring one or two guests, the staff was very courteous and only charged me for 5. Also, Le Meridien Shanghai now provides breakfast downstairs instead of just at the lounge. Much better spread.
Close 2nd - W Austin. - Stayed here using C&P. My room was not ready for a long time, and someone smoked in the original corner suite. We ended up being upgraded to a 2bdrm penthouse suite which wasn't even available for booking yet during the first month of the hotel opening.

Worst - Sheraton Wilmington Delaware. Horribly old hotel, horrible lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
BEST:
St. Regis, Osaka.
Friendly, helpful, and unobtrusive staff. Great location (direct subway access), impeccable rooms (got always an upgrade) with a great view. Felt really at home there.

WORST:
4 Points, Dornbirn, Austria.
Had a 'discussion' over a 4pm platinum late check-out, that I was denied. Endless emailing (plat concierges, lurkers) afterwards over the plat benefit fine print. Not so much the actual subject of the argument annoyed me, but the attitude of the hotel: I never received any email from the property afterwards (as was promised by a plat concierge), nor any direct apology from them (not to speak of points). Never again.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Best: St Regis Mexico City, excellent hotel with fabulous recognition for Platinum guets

Worst: Westin Indianapolis: no upgrade, no late check out, awful attitude all around
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:18 am

Best: toss up between W Hoboken, W Hong Kong & 4 PTs Santiago, Chile. All had great service & great plat recognition.

Worst: Sheraton wall centre in Vancouver. Spent 20 min arguing for a late checkout. When I pointed to the t&c's, the manager used "well we are a conference center", which they were not.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
WORST. Tie between smelly moldy mildewed suite at LC Laguna Resort in Bali and TWO different airport properties that decided not so send the shuttle to fetch me during a holiday period and then tried to lie about it. One property did the right thing and apologized (and I suspect suspended or fired the employee when they were able to check that their shuttle never entered the airport around the time I called for it) while the manager of the other never bothered to contact me, either before my 4pm check out or later).

BEST. I was treated very well at Westin Tokyo, Singapore St Regis, and W Hong Kong, especially on my third stay there. Nice suites that I suspect were above the select standard category.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Best: St. Regis Princeville
Worst: probably Westin DFW
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:37 am

Best: St. Regis Rome--great staff, upgraded to a very big suite--all on award stay.
Worst: No comparison-- the Westin Edmonton has no rivals
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Best *wood Stay 2011: The Royal Hawaiian - Honolulu
Worst *wood Stay 2011: Sheraton Wall Centre - Vancouver
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Platinum Elite
Red face

I loved my stays, in particular, at the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport! That is one outstanding hotel!! I'm really looking forward to an upcoming stay at the Westin Dulles Airport! If my memory serves, that is another excellent hotel!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
BEST: Sheraton Pretoria, simply an outstanding property.
WORST: Sheraton Congress, Frankfurt...........for so many reasons..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.