Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is this the only way to get the suite upgrade to which Platinums are entitled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this the only way to get the suite upgrade to which Platinums are entitled?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:23 am

Platinum Upgrade

I've been reading some of these stories on here for some time, and while in the middle of a platinum challenge that I will have no problem reaching, it is definitely discouraging. My question to everybody is do you ever put additional notes in the reservation when making it online? I'm talking about the area where it states what time you will arrive and optional information. I realize this is probably the last place any front desk agent would look, but just curious if you put in there "platinum member, would prefer an upgraded suite upon check-in". Yes, i realize the upgrade is an amenity, and it should happen automatically, but it would be interesting to see if they even pay attention to that at all. Like, when you show up, before you even ask, they go "I see you requested an upgrade, but we are sold out of our suites tonight". Anybody want to test it out? It will take me another month to reach platinum, but i'll try it once I get there.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The Plat benefit isn't into any suite: it's for available select standard suites.

Available means ready (nobody ever asks for 4PM checkout, right?) at time of check in (although I have been notified a suite will be ready later if I care to wait) for the entire duration of the stay. Standard suites means a possible subset of suites (some typical types are explicitly excluded in the benefit T&Cs).

It seems the forum could do this thread weekly - and does, regrettably.
Regrettably, I don't think you read the post. There was indeed clearly a standard suite available, despite the lies.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Starwood needs to fix this problem. Up to when will platinums have to fight for a benefit?

And kudos to the OP for mentioning the hotel's name, some posters these days are too afraid to post the name.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This situation is unfortunate. Maybe if/when they go with the four coupons a year for guaranteed suites, it may get addressed. ( Hint Hint SPG ) I believe Hyatt does this now. Its such a hassle to "fight" for an upgrade. Like other posters I have had similar experiences and don't like being the squeeky wheel. As a result, I usually go for Starwoods where there is a high probably of success, eg Westin Diplomat; LAX Sheraton etc. Much of my other business now goes elsewhere.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tak
I think the suite has been pre-assigned to another platinum member, but the suite is still available for sale to walk in/paid customer until the pre-assigned platinum member checks in.

FD usually have the list of Platinums who will be upgraded.
Unfortunately, OP seemed to be not one of them.
But the hotel still can sell those suites until those assigned platinum members check in yet.
If no walk in paid customers are taking those suites, the hotel is just waiting for the pre-assigned platinum members.
In OP's case, since OP checked the availability and insisted on the upgrade, FD made strange excuses, and released one of the pre-assigned suites to the OP.

If SPG pre-assigns the suites a day in advance, the rule should not say the upgrade is based upon the availability at check in time.
Agree with this last statement and I think your hypothesis with the "pre-assigned upgrades" is probably accurate. But there-in lies the problem with how I see the upgrades are handled. The FD tells you there are no standard suites available at check-in (aka, you weren't pre-assigned anything), but yet as soon as you check in, voila, standard suites are available online. As most here prob do, in those cases I will almost always go back down, point this out and 99% of the time i will be immediately moved to said suite.

I think what's needed is a little more transparency into the methodology of "pre-assignments" (if such methodology exists) and, if pre-assignments actually take place, standard suites should not be showing up on SPG.com. It just creates a lot of confusion for the end user (and the FD, i would imagine) and usually leads to uncomfortable conversations all around - and general inconvenience and annoyance for the person who just checked in.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:23 am

Instead of arguing at check-in, checking for suites at the computer/phone when you get in your room, running down to front desk arguing again, simply send an email to customer service every time you have reason to suspect that your upgrade amenity is violated.

This is what Starwood Lurker has suggested over and over again in this forum, and probably the only way to make all hotels learn and follow the rules.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Exclamation Training thread

Now Westin Portland and the other SPG hotels will use this thread for training purposes.

General manager, GM: "Everyone, conference room in 5"
...5 minutes have elapsed

GM: "It appears that someone has not been briefed about our Platinum upgrade policy."

Westin PDX agent: "Sir, I am so sorry, I know we value our Platinum Guests and I totally..."

GM: "Value? Are you kidding me? They are the worst pain in the (*^*&@"

GM: "Did I not CC you the memo I received from SPG Corporate?"

Westin PDX agent: "I don't believe so, sir"

GM: "Well, I'll forward it to you after our meeting, but let me tell all of you right now, no suite upgrades for any SPG members. We can't afford to waste our housekeeping resources to clean suites for freeloaders"

GM: "Just do what the memo from Corporate says. When one of those Platinums show up telling you spg.com shows suite inventory, simply tell them:

Sir/Madam, although there are currently suites available showing on spg.com at the moment, the suites are not available because they are not cleaned, ready for occupancy, the dog hasn't eaten your homework yet [insert your own creative excuse] and therefore the suite is not available for upgrade. Since SPG T&C states that you receive an upgrade at check in, and the suite is not available when you check in, the upgrade is not available. And no, you may not wait for the suite to be cleaned. No, you may not wait until it becomes available "

Westin PDX agent "Clever. "

GM: "And if they give you any more problems, refer them to this thread on flyertalk:

"Upgrade to Best Available Room at Check-in" Redefined
"

Yup, that's how SPG rolls. @:-)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:39 am

How much did you have to pay Wikileaks for that memo?

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Now Westin Portland and the other SPG hotels will use this thread for training purposes.

General manager, GM: "Everyone, conference room in 5"
...5 minutes have elapsed

GM: "It appears that someone has not been briefed about our Platinum upgrade policy."

Westin PDX agent: "Sir, I am so sorry, I know we value our Platinum Guests and I totally..."

GM: "Value? Are you kidding me? They are the worst pain in the (*^*&@"

GM: "Did I not CC you the memo I received from SPG Corporate?"

Westin PDX agent: "I don't believe so, sir"

GM: "Well, I'll forward it to you after our meeting, but let me tell all of you right now, no suite upgrades for any SPG members. We can't afford to waste our housekeeping resources to clean suites for freeloaders"

GM: "Just do what the memo from Corporate says. When one of those Platinums show up telling you spg.com shows suite inventory, simply tell them:

Sir/Madam, although there are currently suites available showing on spg.com at the moment, the suites are not available because they are not cleaned, ready for occupancy, the dog hasn't eaten your homework yet [insert your own creative excuse] and therefore the suite is not available for upgrade. Since SPG T&C states that you receive an upgrade at check in, and the suite is not available when you check in, the upgrade is not available. And no, you may not wait for the suite to be cleaned. No, you may not wait until it becomes available "

Westin PDX agent "Clever. "

GM: "And if they give you any more problems, refer them to this thread on flyertalk:

"Upgrade to Best Available Room at Check-in" Redefined
"

Yup, that's how SPG rolls. @:-)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by googe
There was indeed clearly a standard suite available, despite the lies.
Unless you work for the hotel, or have somehow appropriated confidential information, I can pretty much guarantee that even if you know which suites are standard suites (and this is not a given), you have no idea whatsoever which of those are included in the upgrade pool.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
So maybe the it was the management that burned down the Grand Mauritian yesterday to prevent me realizing my upgrade next week?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unless you work for the hotel, or have somehow appropriated confidential information, I can pretty much guarantee that even if you know which suites are standard suites (and this is not a given), you have no idea whatsoever which of those are included in the upgrade pool.
Sure we do, ALL standard suites are in the upgrade pool, it says so very clearly in the T&Cs of the program.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jakpot
So maybe the it was the management that burned down the Grand Mauritian yesterday to prevent me realizing my upgrade next week?
LOL. Actually Grand Mauritian was our best upgrade of the year this summer, standard room to a huge two bedroom family suite. Was quite shocked to read about the fire! This hotel had decent Plat attention unlike pretty much everywhere I ever stay in the USA
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I've been reading some of these stories on here for some time, and while in the middle of a platinum challenge that I will have no problem reaching, it is definitely discouraging. My question to everybody is do you ever put additional notes in the reservation when making it online? I'm talking about the area where it states what time you will arrive and optional information. I realize this is probably the last place any front desk agent would look, but just curious if you put in there "platinum member, would prefer an upgraded suite upon check-in". Yes, i realize the upgrade is an amenity, and it should happen automatically, but it would be interesting to see if they even pay attention to that at all. Like, when you show up, before you even ask, they go "I see you requested an upgrade, but we are sold out of our suites tonight". Anybody want to test it out? It will take me another month to reach platinum, but i'll try it once I get there.
Not sure about others, but my suite upgrade success is over 80% for the year. No complaints from me.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Not sure about others, but my suite upgrade success is over 80% for the year. No complaints from me.
this really.

the only place i really haven't been upgraded since hitting plat is w new york, and they were sold out the weekend i was there.

i was upgraded to a marvelous flat in fll on a c&p stay, upgraded to an island luxury suite at the blue palace, upgraded to club level at westin astir palace, as well as several other in recent history.

i always have the iphone app ready to show the front desk, but truthfully i have never had to argue with someone about getting upgraded.

i will say this, i've never been upgraded when travelling for work.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The property in question has very few suites. I have stayed there handful of times. Maybe OP should have stayed at the nearby Nines or at the Sheraton by the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.