Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do cash & points options seem so scarce?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Why do cash & points options seem so scarce?

I am new to SPG, and looking at availability I see that some properties have no Cash&Points offerings (Westin Awaji, St Regis Osaka, Miyako Tokyo), and others are only offering Sun-Fri or Sun-Thurs. Finally, none are offering Dec 30, 2011.

Is this the end of the Cash&Points program, or do they just delay updating that option until a few months ahead?

It appears in Japan that 1 starpoint=1 to 3 yen in value (USD$.015-.045), depending on the day of the week/category.

Cat 3, 7,000pts 13,000-26,000yen
Cat 4, 10,000pts 10,000-20,000yen
Cat 6 20,000pts 23,000-36,000yen

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Oct 7, 2011 at 12:22 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Welcome to SPG! Sorry to break the news to you, but cash+points is by no means a regular option for many hotels. In fact, in my experience, it is not available for a given hotel and date considerably more often than it is available. So it's good to keep checking a given property if you want to stay there on C+P, but don't count on it necessarily becoming available.

If you definitely want to go to a given hotel but C+P isn't available for when you go there, you can book a room as a revenue or pure points stay, then keep monitoring to see if C+P opens up.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
In my experience, I have found if you call the hotels Director of Revenue, they can pull some strings. They have in the past either opened up inventory or had me book a date that they said it was showing availability and then call back and have them change the dates on their end.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.
I understand it appears to be a case-by-case situation, but interesting to hear that it might be requestable.

I was surprised NOTHING (in Japan) was listed for C&P after Dec 30th though.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
C&P is a VOLUNTARY program and NO hotel is required to offer it...ever. I have found that only a few hotels in NYC even occasionally offer the C&P option.

For example, you will get this message if you want C&P at the St. Regis, Four Points Times Square, Four Points Chelsea, or Four Points Soho Village: "This hotel does not currently participate in Cash and Points."

At most of the others in NYC, it is seldom made available, although I have been able to book it at the Westin Times Square during non-peak periods.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Thanks for the tips.
I understand it appears to be a case-by-case situation, but interesting to hear that it might be requestable.

I was surprised NOTHING (in Japan) was listed for C&P after Dec 30th though.
The C&P rates generally don't get loaded until 90 or so days in advance. However this depends on the revenue manager at each hotel. Some properties don't load them until 2 weeks before (and only if they thing they won't sell out).
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdraco
The C&P rates generally don't get loaded until 90 or so days in advance. However this depends on the revenue manager at each hotel. Some properties don't load them until 2 weeks before (and only if they thing they won't sell out).
That would explain a lot. Also makes booking the C&P more of a challenge unfortunately. Just when I was starting to get excited about it being a great deal
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
It must vary quite a bit as I booked C & P at the Sheraton Kauai about 7 months out
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta, United, SPG, HHonors, Hyatt
The last C&P stay I had with Sheraton Taipei was about one month ago, and I booked it way back in February to get in with Category 3 rates. What a deal!

But when I needed to extend my stay, I couldn't get C&P from Sheraton Taipei when I asked the hotel. I was calling from my room though, didn't ask the Director of Revenue.

I then stayed at Westin Taipei for a few nights on C&P. When no more C&P was showing available on the website, I had this good luck that the GM came to the Club Lounge that night and I mentioned it to him. The next day I saw a few more nights with C&P on the website and I booked them. In the end I gave all four of my Platinum Thank You cards to Westin Taipei for this.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bdraco
The C&P rates generally don't get loaded until 90 or so days in advance.
That's very hotel-dependent. I often get C&P six to ten months out, and rarely see it open up if I don't see it on an initial search.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just booked C&P for Capetown in June 2012 (which is slow season there).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Success

Got the Sheraton Ho Chi Minh for Jan 2012 for 4,000+$60. Rates are from $240 (277 with tax), so my points are getting a decent ($.05/pts) bang for their buck.

Unfortunately the it won't be the nicer Towers, unless they let me [pay to ?] upgrade. Still it is where I want and when I want, so I am happy.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Got the Sheraton Ho Chi Minh for Jan 2012 for 4,000+$60. Rates are from $240 (277 with tax), so my points are getting a decent ($.05/pts) bang for their buck.

Unfortunately the it won't be the nicer Towers, unless they let me [pay to ?] upgrade. Still it is where I want and when I want, so I am happy.
You can call SPG and ask what the SPG5SS rate gets you there. If it is in the Towers, then ask how much it will cost you (likely a few more points and possibly a few more dollars).

For example, a points stay at a at a resort I'm going to next May is 20,000 points per night. C&P is 8,000 points plus $150. C&P and SPG5SS is 11,250 points plus $175.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I think the issue is that the hotels haven't loaded C&P rates at all for 2012. For example, I am looking at a number of properties for C&P that don't have a single available date in 2012 loaded for C&P, though there is ample availability for 2011 and has been throughout the year.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nyc1978
I think the issue is that the hotels haven't loaded C&P rates at all for 2012. For example, I am looking at a number of properties for C&P that don't have a single available date in 2012 loaded for C&P, though there is ample availability for 2011 and has been throughout the year.
I agree.. C&P availability has been extremely rare these days. I realize the hotel can opt out .. but it's gone from widely available to significantly less available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.