Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Any good properties with water slides and great pools for kids?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Figured this forum answers everything. Trying to think of a fun vacation place next year for the kids. The kids love the water activities at hotels more than beaches, so trying to find a hotel with water slides and other kid friendly stuff - they get bored after a while if they are "just swimming around". I know there are some great pools at resorts but I'm focused more on the kids activities vs. luxury setting for the parents.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: Club Awesome
Sheraton on the Falls in Ontario, it has an attached indoor water park which I think you get discounted tickets or room packages. Plus great views of the falls and all the things to do around the falls.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As I recall, both Sheratons in Calgary have slides. The Eau Claire has one, and the Cavalier has two or three.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Westin Maui and Sheraton Waikiki have kid friendly pools.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG-plat, AirMiles-gold
discostu's got the right idea for you! (any Simpson's fan on here) :-)

I've been many times. It's great for all ages. In fact two weeks ago we tried the Niagara Falls Great Woolf lodge - it was excellent but my kids gave Fallswiew waterpark a slight advantage as the hotel is right downtown Niagara close to all the cheesy but fun activities.
http://www.fallsviewwaterpark.com/

Westin Collingwood Ontario has a small water park operated separately from the hotel but right beside it. Suitable for younger children.

BuenaVista Resort in Orlando has a few pools, one has a few small slides.

Disney's Dolphin/swan has one slide that OK. My Children liked the fact they had mutliple pools which gave them variety.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:30 am

Sheraton Safari in Orlando outside of Disney has a pretty large one.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Westin Kierland, Scottsdale AZ

Adventure Water Park

A well-manicured desert landscape forms a lovely backdrop for the Adventure Water Park at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa where guests can enjoy more than 575,000 gallons of water fun, including a 900-foot lazy river for inner-tubing and a 110-foot-long water slide. Nearby, a separate children's play area features pop-jet water fountains, a shallow pool for small children and babies, and a sandy beach perfect for sand castles or volleyball.

Family-friendly cabanas around the pool are a comfortable spot for a shady nap, or try a soak in an outdoor hot tub. During the popular summer months, the pool area becomes a center of activity, with weekend “dive-in” movies on Friday and Saturday nights and live poolside music.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Westin La Cantera, San Antonio, Texas and Westin Kierland, Scottsdale, Arizona

Don't know how old the kids are. The Westin La Cantera and Westin Kierland have great features for a family.

La Cantera:
Club lounge, waterslide, shallow kiddie pool, fun shaped everyone pool with, I think, a waterfall, Westin Kids club, nature trail, fairly removed from town

Kierland:
Club lounge, waterslide, lazy river, large everyone pool, private adults pool, Westin Kids club, hiking path to Starwood Vacation Ownership, basketball courts, and when I've been there, they have a guy play bagpipes at sunset

-- CaptainG
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Adventure Water Park

A well-manicured desert landscape forms a lovely backdrop for the Adventure Water Park at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa where guests can enjoy more than 575,000 gallons of water fun, including a 900-foot lazy river for inner-tubing and a 110-foot-long water slide. Nearby, a separate children's play area features pop-jet water fountains, a shallow pool for small children and babies, and a sandy beach perfect for sand castles or volleyball.

Family-friendly cabanas around the pool are a comfortable spot for a shady nap, or try a soak in an outdoor hot tub. During the popular summer months, the pool area becomes a center of activity, with weekend “dive-in” movies on Friday and Saturday nights and live poolside music.
+1

we really enjoyed it and didnt have any kids along, so I take it any kid would enjoy it as well
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:11 pm

I second these recommendations. We've stayed at La Cantera a few times this year and our kids (3 and 1) always have fun. The Westin Kierland has a great pool setup too.

Originally Posted by CaptainG
Don't know how old the kids are. The Westin La Cantera and Westin Kierland have great features for a family.

La Cantera:
Club lounge, waterslide, shallow kiddie pool, fun shaped everyone pool with, I think, a waterfall, Westin Kids club, nature trail, fairly removed from town

Kierland:
Club lounge, waterslide, lazy river, large everyone pool, private adults pool, Westin Kids club, hiking path to Starwood Vacation Ownership, basketball courts, and when I've been there, they have a guy play bagpipes at sunset

-- CaptainG
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Sheraton Hua Hin Thailand. The lagoon room have direct access to the pool from the balcony/deck. Don't think that they have a slide.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
The 4-points in Bangkok has water slides in the bathrooms
Hurry though they might start charging resort fees if they become popular

Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I stayed at the Sheraton Cresent Hotel in Phoenix, and it had a pretty tall waterslide. I went on it several times and it's super fast! The pool area's decent. Plus, it's free!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. The kids are age 9 and 5. The youngest likes any slide but the oldest likes bigger ones.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by gowarty
Thanks for the tips. The kids are age 9 and 5. The youngest likes any slide but the oldest likes bigger ones.
Based on everything said here (and the information you provided including the age of your kids and your location), I would rank them as follows in North America:
1. Westin Kierland (Phoenix) - although can be quite expensive; points may be a good option)
2. Sheraton Cavalier (Calgary) - two slides (1 @ 166' long, 1 @ 100' long, pool, two hot tubs, kiddie pool - all indoor
3. Sheraton Crescent (Phoenix) - one outdoor slide @ 100' long but it depends on when you go as in winter, the water is quite cool
4. Sheraton Safari (Orlando) - one slide @ 75-100' long that ends in a snakes mouth IIRC, pool
5. Westin La Cantera (San Antonio) - one slide @ 40-50' long, pool area but I think your oldest child may be bored pretty quickly. The slide itself, for being so short, is pretty quick.
6. Disney Dolphin/Swan (Orlando) - one 50' long but interesting pools
7. Sheraton Eau Claire (Calgary) - one slide @ 50-75' long and pool (think Holiday Inn Express type) indoor, sauna
** Haven't been to Sheraton on the Falls in Ontario so can't comment.

I had my own kids (ages 7 and 13) help in the rankings. We've been to all of the properties listed except the Sheraton on the Falls. I think the real question is where you and your interests and budget want to take you. The other thing to consider is what time of year you would be traveling as, unless the WXX is excellent in winter, the pools in Phoenix and Orlando can be quite chilly as they are predominantly outdoor. We've been to Phoenix and Orlando over X-Mas break on several occasions, and although they have waterslides etc, they weren't overwhelmingly popular with our kids as the water was quite cold. Temperatures at the time were in the high 70's or low 80's respectively.

Cheers - and have fun,

Singlepoint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.