Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Coming to New Castle Delaware?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 7:06 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sheraton Coming to New Castle Delaware?

interesting article. Looks like was originally built as a Radisson in the 90s... never opened...

FDW
Old May 24, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Marriott Silver; United PremExec; DL&Skybonus; Amtrak Select+
interesting - the wilmington,de area could definitely use another SPG property. philly airport is just too far...

seems like hersha hospitality is well-suited to complete this property, but honestly in this economic condition, i'm not bullish that this will complete at a reasonable time.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:54 am

Now it's official...

"Sheraton New Castle Hotel - Opening August, 2011"
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by ehud
Now it's OCT 2011...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Nov 17. But not bookable so who knows.

The building also has a history behind it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3ttMoA&cad=rja

According to the court filings, the plan was approved for a 118,805 sqft property in 1990. The architect somehow designed a 156,000 sqft plan. The project was put on hold due to economy downturn and the plan was dusted off shelves in 1998 and approved without the mistake being caught until 2000 when construction was almost complete. Certificate of occupancy denied. OOPS.

There seems to be bad blood between the County and the owners since the County indicated they will issue a C/O as long as the original owners have no interest in the property.

I think the owners declared bankruptcy since they couldn't operate or sell the building without a C/O.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 19, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Member

Property page online:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ropertyID=3676

On the page:
Hotel Opens November 17. Taking Reservations December 15.

We open our doors on November 17, 2011, and are accepting reservations for stays on or after December 15, 2011.

Confusing they open Nov 17 but won't make reservations until Dec 15.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:37 pm

Hotel was originally planned to open in time for the 2000 Republican Convention in Philly. In fact, several delegations were booked there and had to scramble when the hotel was barred from opening. Hard to imagine that it sat for so long.

I wonder if there will be more than its fair share of annoyances and problems due to it stagnating for so long.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
There seems to be bad blood between the County and the owners since the County indicated they will issue a C/O as long as the original owners have no interest in the property.

I think the owners declared bankruptcy since they couldn't operate or sell the building without a C/O.
The owners were the Capanos Brothers.

There was no way the County was going to allow the Capanos Brothers get away with anything on any deal, especially since Tom Capano was convicted and given the death sentence of murdering Anne Marie Fahey, the Governor's appointments secretary.

The murder of Anne Marie Fahey and the hotel that couldn't get C/O was the talk of Wilmington, DE. for many years. I'm glad the empty building is finally going to be occupied.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Couldn't find a thread on this property so I figure I post my experience on this one.

Stayed here earlier last year as Gold. No upgrade.

Just stayed this time as Platinum on Saturday night. Was upgraded to Deluxe on Club floor. Hor d'oeuvres served in the lounge. Access to soft drinks/water/coffee machine 24 hours.

Lounge didn't serve breakfast on Sunday (Easter) and we were given a breakfast buffet coupon for the grill in the lobby.

Rooms are the newer Sheraton design. Water pressure extremely weak on the 5th floor.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Couldn't find a thread on this property so I figure I post my experience on this one.

Stayed here earlier last year as Gold. No upgrade.

Just stayed this time as Platinum on Saturday night. Was upgraded to Deluxe on Club floor. Hor d'oeuvres served in the lounge. Access to soft drinks/water/coffee machine 24 hours.

Lounge didn't serve breakfast on Sunday (Easter) and we were given a breakfast buffet coupon for the grill in the lobby.

Rooms are the newer Sheraton design. Water pressure extremely weak on the 5th floor.
You are being too kind, this hotel is not worth it. Go to the Westin, much much better experience.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:48 am

In comparing the new Westin to this Sheraton its worth pointing out:
Westin is brand new but still has some kinks:
Restaurant not open, staff unsure of processes, elevators get confused

There is no lounge at the Westin but the Sheraton has a small but well stocked one

There are a few suites at the Westin, but more Platinum guests than suites so far, so upgrades are possible, but not certain
Sheraton is largely junior and deluxe suites, so if a suite is important then Sheraton is the way to go

Menu at Westin is definitely less good than Sheraton

The point about water pressure being bad at Sheraton is dead right though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.