Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort Fee does NOT earn me starpoints!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:38 am

Just say no!

Personally, I would rather have the government LESS involved in my life, not more. And I certainly don't want the government regulating my hotel costs thank you very much - it has already made enough of a mess in the airline industry.

There's a real easy way to avoid resort fees folks. DON'T STAY THERE! It's called consumer pressure. As long as enough people continue to stay and pay these fees, they are going to charge them. If enough folks stop staying at these properties, and let the offending properties know they are losing our business, then we might get change.

And enough of this nonsense suggesting resort fees being somehow unique to *wood. Pretty well all the majors have them. So you need to find creative ways to stay at places that don't.

Cayman - mentioned above - is case in point. DON'T STAY THERE. And don't stay at the Hilton or Marriott either if they are charging resort fees. Instead, stay at the Sunshine Suites across the road from the Westin. Bonus two-fer - you get a suite

Cheers,
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Flews
There's a real easy way to avoid resort fees folks. DON'T STAY THERE! It's called consumer pressure. As long as enough people continue to stay and pay these fees, they are going to charge them. If enough folks stop staying at these properties, and let the offending properties know they are losing our business, then we might get change.
It's worked well so far.

And enough of this nonsense suggesting resort fees being somehow unique to *wood. Pretty well all the majors have them. So you need to find creative ways to stay at places that don't.
I have not suggested that they are unique to Starwood. They are a problem throughout the industry, and the industry is refusing to police itself. They are mostly unique to the North American/Caribbean, though. Why is that?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
Originally Posted by sc flier
It's worked well so far.

I have not suggested that they are unique to Starwood. They are a problem throughout the industry, and the industry is refusing to police itself. They are mostly unique to the North American/Caribbean, though. Why is that?
it's not really unique to NA/Carib. Have you seen that many/most resort hotels in Asia have 10% service charge on the room rate? that's just resort charge renamed and 10% on room rate often higher than a fixed $ charge is. And in those cases, it doesn't even explictly include anything specific, such as internet, parking or other actual amenities.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by lerasp
it's not really unique to NA/Carib. Have you seen that many/most resort hotels in Asia have 10% service charge on the room rate? that's just resort charge renamed and 10% on room rate often higher than a fixed $ charge is. And in those cases, it doesn't even explictly include anything specific, such as internet, parking or other actual amenities.
I am fully aware of that, and I consider those to be an entirely separate issue. No, it's not just a resort charge renamed.

Edited to add:
Just as one example of the 10% service charge that is customary in many AP countries, here's info about how it developed in Nepal only a few years ago:
Nepal hotel workers claim victory: agreement on service charge implementation
Key Points of Service Charge Agreement:
* 200,000 workers and families benefit;
* From Jan 1, 2007 10% on all services in hotels and restaurants, except accommodation;
* From Jan 1, 2008 accommodation will be included in service charge.
* Of service charge collected, 68% share will go to workers, 32% retained by owners.

Last edited by sc flier; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:12 am
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
Just as one example of the 10% service charge that is customary in many AP countries
I've always just taken the service charge as "forced tipping" in cultures where tipping is (supposedly) not customary. It's too bad it doesn't all go to the employees.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Personally, I would rather have the government LESS involved in my life, not more. And I certainly don't want the government regulating my hotel costs thank you very much - it has already made enough of a mess in the airline industry.
And what part of in my message did you not understand?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by controller1
And what part of in my message did you not understand?
Well, since I was agreeing with your message, apparently none of it...?

Cheers,
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I would rather have the government LESS involved in my life, not more. ..,
Don't know about you but I am VERY thankful that the government finally stepped in and forced the airlines to quote all-in prices instead of bait and switch marketing of "base" fares ^^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...on-merged.html

The Department has prohibited sellers of air transportation from breaking out any other seller imposed fees, including fuel surcharges and service fees, and taxes imposed on an ad valorem basis.
I would love to see the same for hotels.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by azepine00
Don't know about you but I am VERY thankful that the government finally stepped in and forced the airlines to quote all-in prices instead of bait and switch marketing of "base" fares
Too bad they have no control over foreign carriers, so we'll continue to see base fares from them.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Too bad they have no control over foreign carriers, so we'll continue to see base fares from them.
Can't figure out this one - I hope the ruling regulates the fares advertized in US (or perhaps with US located origin or destination) even if they come from foreign carriers. I would not expect the government to put US carriers at a disadvantage by allowing foreign airlines market "lower" base fares instead of all-in on the same routes
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I hope the ruling regulates the fares advertized in US (or perhaps with US located origin or destination) even if they come from foreign carriers.
You can't do anything about the advertising because it's impossible to regulate what appears on the Internet. However, linking it to landing rights in the US could have some force...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Resort Fees are like airlines charging fuel surcharges. Make no sense to me.

It just hides the real room cost and makes the price seem lower.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dmgt
Resort Fees are like airlines charging fuel surcharges. Make no sense to me.
If you were in marketing it would make perfect sense because

Originally Posted by dmgt
It just hides the real room cost and makes the price seem lower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.