FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED] PROMO: SPG Getaway Free (Earn May-July 2011) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1205830-now-expired-promo-spg-getaway-free-earn-may-july-2011-a.html)

DukeFlyer Apr 16, 2011 8:13 pm

I think this is a great promo! I'm just bummed that I won't get to take advantage of it as for the first time in years, I won't be travelling the next 2-3 months. I'll be glad to be at home, but free nights in the Maldives would be nice.

Rebelyell Apr 16, 2011 8:15 pm

My wife does the traveling these days and I manage her travel and points. I'd love to have her take advantage of this and other SPG offers, but its almost impossible in the South. Starwood has one property in Rogers, Arkansas, one in Biloxi, Mississippi, four in Alabama (Huntsville and Birmingham) and several in New Orleans. That's it. She goes to N.O. a lot, but that's her only chance.

Build some more hotels Starwood!

Bravada04 Apr 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Not impressed.

First and foremost........any promo is good because it is a bonus !! But everyone has their wants and needs and this definately is the worst promo in the last 3-4 years that I can think of. :td:

Simply just my opinion which ...........I know means nothing:o:

If a guy earned free nights before you could use them anywhere ........now they are defined to ONLY resorts :confused: Oh and yes the wonderful resort fee:mad:

Cripes.........I might have to start using my Wyndham Rewards:p - I'll rack those up and stay at any new Wingate Inns which are superior to any Four Points.

jyzhu Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

i've been on flyertalk for the last two weeks, daily, trying to find out what the q2 promo was, and the weekend that it was announced, i am off-line for a full 48 hours. a watched pot never boils, apparently.

i am a big fan of these free night rewards - i think it prevents point dilution and does not accelerate the number of platinum members there are within spg while at the same time forcing people to explore properties that spg owns that they may not have gone to before. i know for people on flyertalk, there's a sense of accomplishment by hording points (i am definitely one of them with over half a million spg point unused), but this promotion will force me to actually explore a vertical of great spg properties that i otherwise might have ignored.

thanks spg, and i will be maximizing my hotel stays over the promotion period for this!

sent Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Aaargh! We have 4 European SPG stays booked for our summer vacation that straddles the end of July to early August. Only one of those stays will be completed by August 1! :mad:

We do have a stay booked earlier in July but it was booked through a convention so I don't know if I'll be getting stay credits for it. I could hotel hop for an upcoming Toronto trip to get at least one free night out of this but I need to study the list of resorts and see if this is really going to work for me.

myperks Apr 16, 2011 9:13 pm

at most 2 free nights during this period. most likely one. :(

Originally Posted by sent (Post 16231586)
Aaargh! We have 4 European SPG stays booked for our summer vacation that straddles the end of July to early August. Only one of those stays will be completed by August 1! :mad:

We do have a stay booked earlier in July but it was booked through a convention so I don't know if I'll be getting stay credits for it. I could hotel hop for an upcoming Toronto trip to get at least one free night out of this but I need to study the list of resorts and see if this is really going to work for me.

you know what that means, right? your other 3 stays might fall into the promo-less "gap" period... ;)

points_maniac Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Great promotion!

I think this is a great promotion. I am planning to rack up 7 FRNs and use them for nights hat would cost me 20K each otherwise. The way I am looking at it this promo is worth 140K points to me, much more than I got through the Q1 promo, and also much better than a promotion that restricts me to weekend stays.

ariyo15 Apr 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite (Post 16224167)
While I would have preferred free weekend nights redeemable at any property, this is IMO the best Q2 promo of all the programs. I'll just need to find the time to make it to a resort location (or two :D) before year end.

Though I'm usually very skeptical (and am never able to advantage) of stay-based promos, I'm absolutely loving this one! I have at least nine - though I may be able to squeeze it out to 12 - stays in the promo period. Why am I so excited...??

Because in November I have a five-night reservation (as part of my honeymoon) at the new W Retreat/Spa in BALI!!! WHOOOHOO!! If I can knock that expense from five to three (or even two) nights, that would be awesome!!!!

THANK YOU WILLIAM! Sorry for being such a nuisance in the "when is it coming" thread :)

flo0816 Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am

Great, that means I would get zip for a planned 4 week luxury collection stay??? Who comes up with such a crappy promo. I guess Hilton it is then.

chicaloca453 Apr 17, 2011 1:22 am

Originally Posted by flo0816 (Post 16232136)
Great, that means I would get zip for a planned 4 week luxury collection stay??? Who comes up with such a crappy promo. I guess Hilton it is then.

You also could maximize it. Get your wife a SPG number and check in and out daily but tell them you want to keep the same room. Rotate reservations between your account and her account. It's a tiny hassle to go by the desk and re-key every day but minimal to the benefits earned. Then you end up with 28 stays total aka 9 free nights. It does work. We do it with Hyatt all the time.

Downunder girl Apr 17, 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 16225261)
I always wind up having 2 or 3 stays during the 2 week dead zone. Last year there was a 1000 point / stay bonus for FT members. Would have been nice to get that this year too.

Yes that was awesome! Looks like that is not going to happen this time, although perhaps we can remain slightly hopeful ;) (hint, hint)!

I have about 10 stays in the dead zone :( and the last promo didnt work for me either because the hotels I was staying at for Q1 did NOT participate.

Great promo if it works for people, a bit disappointing if not.
However, thank you to Starwood Lurkers for keeping us well informed ^ :)

eponymous_coward Apr 17, 2011 2:22 am

Originally Posted by bradj (Post 16231364)
Exactly what Hilton Promotion are you talking about between April 15-May 1? If you spend every night in a Hilton you will earn enough points with the current 1000 bonus points a night promo to earn 1 free night at a category 2 hotel. If your really chasing promo's to earn free cat 2 nights at Hiltons then go for it. Personally I think the best promo during this window is with Hyatt.

Hilton has a triple miles deal with VS, and miles are stackable with points. VS offers 1K miles normally, so that's 3K miles per stay. VS miles convert to HHonors at 1-1. So that's 4K points+what you normally get, not 1K (or you could just take VS miles).

I will be using Point Stretcher to redeem at either a level 3 (Millennium Hilton Bangkok) or level 5 (Conrad Bangkok), depending on how fast the VS transfer posts.

TrojanHorse Apr 17, 2011 7:04 am

I think what irks me the most is that the Four Freaking Points Ventura is a resort but there are NONE, ZERO, NOTTA in austrailia..

bradj Apr 17, 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 16232305)
Hilton has a triple miles deal with VS, and miles are stackable with points. VS offers 1K miles normally, so that's 3K miles per stay. VS miles convert to HHonors at 1-1. So that's 4K points+what you normally get, not 1K (or you could just take VS miles).

I will be using Point Stretcher to redeem at either a level 3 (Millennium Hilton Bangkok) or level 5 (Conrad Bangkok), depending on how fast the VS transfer posts.

I see.. However 11 nights with the Hyatt promotion yields 25000 points which is enough for any Hyatt property. The 4k you get from the VS transfer on 11 nights only yields 44000 points, not bad but I place a higher value on 25000 Hyatt points. I hadn't seen the VS promo however. Thanks.

bradj Apr 17, 2011 7:11 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16232849)
I think what irks me the most is that the Four Freaking Points Ventura is a resort but there are NONE, ZERO, NOTTA in austrailia..

Australia
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort
Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa Gold Coast
Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa