Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
For those with questions regarding the best timing for applying for a Platinum or Gold status match, this is the policy to keep in mind for your individual determination:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Not to worry, I'll bite on this offer and report back. I was planning to do a couple of mattress runs over the next few months anyway, this might make my life easier.

Got an automated reply saying they will get back to me in 48 hours.

Hope so, I am traveling on Sunday and checking into an Aloft property Sunday night.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
This does not affect me but I wouldn't word the policy change as advanced notice.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by planeluvr
This does not affect me but I wouldn't word the policy change as advanced notice.
Indeed. There is about as much advance notice on this as there is on seven day a week lounge access ... I don't think we have yet heard the final, official word on that and it's already April 1 in places.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I guess this is how they'll prevent a flood of last minute status match requests.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phlashba
Is it a "status match" or a "challenge"? By my definition these are two very different things.
Today's policy is a one-time status match to Platinum. No stays required, just proof of existing equivalent status (presumably MR Plat, HH Diamond, or HY Diamond...but there may be others that count).

Tomorrow's policy is a challenge. Sounds like it'll be X EQN in Y total days. Sounds like the one-time restriction is gone. As with most airline/hotel challenges, your status in other programs becomes moot.

Although FT'ers love to debate whether these things are good or bad for the program, my hunch is that they alter the total ratio of Platinum paid nights to total available rooms by such a miniscule amount that it's barely measurable. There is no "status dilution" because of matches or challenges.

For every person who asks for a challenge, there are a thousand Plats out there who have no idea what the challenges are - they just keep staying at Starwoods using their corporate rate like they always have. Your odds of actually getting a worse room as a "real" Plat because "fake" Plats received upgrades are so close to zero it's hardly worth discussing.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if SPG plans to charge for that, like AA with their challenges...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:47 pm

It could be worse, people. On April 1, I'd expect a massive devaluation of starpoints at the least, or maybe a complete cancellation of the SPG program effective immediately.

Or maybe no "Q2" promo.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by barelyelite
It could be worse, people. On April 1, I'd expect a massive devaluation of starpoints at the least, or maybe a complete cancellation of the SPG program effective immediately.

Or maybe no "Q2" promo.

After what Southwest just did to their loyalty program, I don't think the annual April 1st bump of that old "All FFP's are canceled" thread will come off quite so funny!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by azepine00
I wonder if SPG plans to charge for that, like AA with their challenges...
Airline and hotel loyalty programs are different, can you name one hotel loyalty program that charges for a status challenge?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Any member wishing to apply for a Stay Challenge beginning April 1, 2011 can contact them at [email protected] in order to request consideration.
I was hoping the misspelled email address was some sort of easter egg that would get me lifetime platinum status for submitting a query. No such luck; it just redirected to the correct spelling of liaison.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
April fool joke....
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I applied at 5:30 pm and my account showed Platinum status by 5:40 pm.

Thank you for the heads up.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
Glad to see SPG is keeping its ranks from becoming bloated ^
There is no evidence that the ranks had become bloated.

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Since SPG is matching Hyatt just in about every department (including this one, the status challenge instead of a match), you think they'd already match the free breakfast for Platinums part, but of course, no.
Good one ^.

Thanks William for this news on todays date!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phlashba
Is it a "status match" or a "challenge"? By my definition these are two very different things.
I would suggest your read the first post there is no ambiguity there.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I applied at 5:30 pm and my account showed Platinum status by 5:40 pm.

Thank you for the heads up.
1) Can you tell us what information is required for the challenge ?
2) How to maintain platinum status ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.