Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 2000-2006 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 2000-2006 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: Coutts Silk Card, Hilton G,SPG Plat,Priority C Plat, Amex BA +,Kempinski P C,BA G,Virgin G, P-Pass
Originally Posted by EdV
Pete, I am happy to tell you the wedding we were in was nowhere near the pool. We were way over by the Ferdinand's the casual lunch / dinner restaurant. And ours didn't start until 6 I believe. We def were not having people kicked out of the pool area for us. And that's the way it should be. I don't see how that's treating your other guests in the hotel well when you let a wedding party have the run of the place. Thus, I can understand your frustration. That's why normally when I go to the Caribbean (or any warm spot, esp in winter) I ask if they have some sort of wedding scheduled that might limit some areas of the hotel. Good practice.

Thanks for the thought on helpig with the house but that's taken a back burner right now as I've got my eyes burning on a few condos in Boston.
I guess you were at one of the posh weddings then I saw them where you were, on the beach and by the pool, a bit like a sausage factory really Anyway, most only last a couple of years so it must keep them in business

I did ask the hotel why they never put up signs to say that the area of the pool to be used for the wedding would be closed at such and such a time, they said that just got guests annoyed and their anger built up during the day until they were kicked out, so they decided on the short sharp shock surprise of kicking them out at the very last minute, although it takes hours to set up for the wedding, most are at sunset with the meal after.

You get used to the way of the Island in the end, it is a very blinkered place with stale attitudes, but that is what makes it unique, it is just when you get rubbish food and rubbish service and they want London 5* prices that can bug you (not the hotel by the way, just general). The Island needs a constant influx of fresh people to give experience and new ideas, but unfortunately the local Camanians fall behind in all this and get bitter and angry, but lets face it, without tourism and banks, it is a deserted Island with nothing at all really. Racism is rife there against the expats, but if you want to live in such a pretty place you have to put up with it, no doubt it will change over time. I can see where the Camanians are coming from, but if they want to live the high life, then it comes at a cost of having those that can make it for them living there.

For a feel of the Island you can read the daily newspaper here :-

http://www.caymannetnews.com/

Go to 'todays newspaper' in the left hand column to get a scanned image of it, notice in the jobs section where it says only Camanians need apply

Last edited by amexpete; May 20, 2005 at 10:44 am
Old May 20, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: Coutts Silk Card, Hilton G,SPG Plat,Priority C Plat, Amex BA +,Kempinski P C,BA G,Virgin G, P-Pass
Spg50

I have just checked today and there are no SPG50 nights available from the 15th Dec 05 to 11th May 06 (peak season)!!

This may help and save time for someone who was thinking of taking advantage of their SPG50 rate during this period.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Westin Casuarina Grand Cayman Gold Upgrades

Hi,
I booked the Casuarina for 4 nights in early December, and I was able to get an excellent rate of $213 a night for an "Island View". What are the chances of a partial or full ocean view upgrade upon arrival? I am a lowly SPG gold, but, I figure that atleast puts me ahead of a few.

Also, does anyone have any tips/suggestions about this property?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
Originally Posted by s25843
Hi,
I booked the Casuarina for 4 nights in early December, and I was able to get an excellent rate of $213 a night for an "Island View". What are the chances of a partial or full ocean view upgrade upon arrival? I am a lowly SPG gold, but, I figure that atleast puts me ahead of a few.

Also, does anyone have any tips/suggestions about this property?

Thanks
i was there in June,so much more off-season. I'm Gold, was on award - got upgraded to full oceanview. wonderful room! decor very new and westin-esque (dark wood, neutrals, heavenly bed, good bathroom). great beach!
as for tips - across the street there's a diner and a great sports bar (we were there during world cup - the place was hopping and was our regular lunch spot. good food, good prices). i'd rent a car - cabs add up. it's about $10-15 each time to dinner and back, so you car will be more than paid for. good pool - huge! good buffet breakfast and not as much or a ripoff as usual at resorts (CY $15). you can walk to the Ritz - in the back towards the Lagoon side they have their "casual" restaurant - Periwinkle. Good food, seeting by the water, and prices were ok (NY level, but not NY Ritz level).
let me know if you have any specific questions. check out SPG50 - they had it when we were going, but chose to you points.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA, UAL, USAir, etc.
Westin Grand Cayman

Requesting input on Westin Grand Cayman... thanks. location. property itself. quality. things to do. all is welcome.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: NWA, AA, UAL, Starwood, Marriott
Stayed there last May. Great hotel, beautiful pool right on beach with jacuzzi's on both ends of the pool.. Service was great, nightly turndown with rum cakes. No great snorkling right off beach though. Rooms were nice, request an ocean view and high room, what a difference seeing the ocean! Sorry so short not much time, have fun.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:35 am

We stayed at the Westin GCM a few years back and had a fantastic time. The beach is about as good as it gets.

Not in you face service but good enough for me and if you are friendly too the staff thaey are friendly back.

Some good eating locations within walking distance.

I would go back first oppotunity I get.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:17 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I loved the pool and beach there - however the room really smelled bad.

Would return though - the beach was fantastic...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Here is my two cents given that it is just down the road from my home here in Cayman. I recommend the Westin to visiting clients all the time, the beach can't be beat and it also has Casa Havana which is my favourite restaurant in Cayman.

I have actually stayed at the hotel a few times and the opinions may be different depending on whether they are pre or post Hurricane Ivan which hit in Sept 04. The Westin took a big hit and lost a good part of the roof and subsequent water damage but all has been repaired and the main issue it faces now is sometimes a musty smell from the high humidity when guests leave there balcony doors open.

The swim up bar and pool are excellent and I have spent many an afternoon there, try the electric margarita!
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
Thanks for your review. We've thought about going there, but will consider other locations first!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.