FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1111131-two-exciting-new-benefits-added-spg-credit-card-american-express-u-s.html)

Sabai Jul 31, 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 14393650)
Uh oh. Is this website being built by Starwood's web "gurus" or (hopefully) AmEx's web professionals? ;)

In either case, it is preferable to having Goober and Jethro at Delta.com take a crack at it.

MileKing Jul 31, 2010 7:16 am

$20 annual fee increase and no real benefits. As we've moved most of our spend to the Schwab 2% cashback card, it will be very difficult to justify keeping the SPG AMEX at this point.

skye1 Jul 31, 2010 8:03 am

Would have also preferred a 2 or 3 "stay" credit bonus vs. a 5 "night" credit bonus, and such would, IMHO, have justified the fee increase.

I can see how those in favour of Platinum Lite (earning Plat via stay credit bonuses, double stay credit promo's, etc.) would not like this, whilst those who earn Plat via 25+ "actual" stays may disagree...who knows.....

It is a galant effort at dressing up a fee increase as good news.

Kudos to the Lukers for keeping FT in the loop. I'm sure it's not easy to keep bringing up SPG promo's only to see all the fallout from them, thread after thread :).

KingBraden Jul 31, 2010 8:33 am

I expected to see a bigger reduction or increase in fees. Unfortunately, I think rewards cards are going to lose their luster very soon.

sc flier Jul 31, 2010 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 14397208)
Scflier #66, I would book the $179 corporate rate. It's worth $13 a night extra to me to keep my cancellation privileges!
Also, the present Z3H is already available to everyone, so the "new" ZRA is nothing new nor special!

Poor choice based on an assumption! Anyone else have an opinion?

KENNECTED Jul 31, 2010 9:18 am

I'm with others. I know revenue is down and increasing fees is a way for AMEX to thin the heard without having to cancel cards themselves.

However, I wish they would have been given us the choice of "stays" over "nights". Maybe 3/4 stays instead of "five" nights.

KingBraden Jul 31, 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 14397697)
I'm with others. I know revenue is down and increasing fees is a way for AMEX to thin the heard without having to cancel cards themselves.

However, I wish they would have been given us the choice of "stays" over "nights". Maybe 3/4 stays instead of "five" nights.

My guess is the fact that so many people want stays over nights is the reason they gave us nights. If people are typically re-qualifying via stays, then the desire would be to push them toward nights, even if it comes at the cost of stays.

singletraveler Jul 31, 2010 10:05 am

Increase in fee is too much. Don't care for the 3 nights for 2 offer at all. And I've been Gold for years with Amex Platinum and get NOTHING extra for that.

Will drop the card after many years with the next renewal. $65 is too much for an annual fee without some serious benefits.

mahasamatman Jul 31, 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 14397520)
Poor choice based on an assumption!

What assumption? Your original list showed already existing rates, so it doesn't really even belong in this thread. If you had asked about the ZHA rate, it would have been different.

money_opp Jul 31, 2010 10:22 am

:td: $65 annual fee with little added face value benefits.. I would rather switch to the new priority club visa with similar fee but a free night anywhere in the world each year.

Eastbay1K Jul 31, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 14395931)
+1 on that...I think everyone's smart enough to see this as a basic 44% fee increase with nothing in return.

Actually, a reduction of benefit. The SPG50 was actually useful from time to time. I don't remember the last time I spent 3 nights in a row in a Sheraton. I know the OP was just the messenger of the propaganda, but $65 for the pleasure is getting to the "should I reconsider the card?" level. :td:

Starwood Lurker Jul 31, 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 14395957)
William, any chance $300,000 spend will now earn Platinum? I'd happily pay the extra $20 for that feature. :D

No, hell has not yet frozen over.

Best regards,

William

broadwayblue Jul 31, 2010 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 14398153)
No, hell has not yet frozen over.

Best regards,

William

Thanks. Was worth a shot. ;)

psyflyer Jul 31, 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 14395957)
William, any chance $300,000 spend will now earn Platinum? I'd happily pay the extra $20 for that feature. :D

+1!

There is nothing exciting by these "two exciting new benefits". They are quite dreadful and it seems like this is their way to justify the fee increase. :td:

ETA: Might be time to switch to the AMEX Plat . If a new SPG to AA bonus transfer comes I might ditch the card and transfer out of SPG. $65 and reduced benefits might just do it for me. Enough at least to consider the options. SPG is great but not that great.

broadwayblue Jul 31, 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by psyflyer (Post 14398204)
+1!

There is nothing exciting by these "two exciting new benefits". They are quite dreadful and it seems like this is their way to justify the fee increase. :td:

Well, Hilton Amex offers Diamond for higher spend...and only 2x more as opposed to the 10x I had asked about for Platinum SPG.

The only thing worse than having fees increased is when they tell you that you are getting more when you really aren't. If they simply came out and said the annual fee was increasing that would be one thing. But for them to spin it under the guise of "new benefits", particularly when one isn't really new and the other only effects a small % of cardholders, is really just insulting. I know that's how marketing works these days...but it's really a shame we're all treated like idiots. I would have expected better from SPG/Amex. I mean this isn't Capital One or Discover.