FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Two exciting new benefits added to the SPG® Credit Card from American Express (U. S.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1111131-two-exciting-new-benefits-added-spg-credit-card-american-express-u-s.html)

travelexpert Aug 1, 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 14392706)
On October 14, 2010, the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express gets even more rewarding with two new benefits.

New - It will be even easier to reach elite status. SPG and Amex will provide Cardmembers with five night credits each year. That means only 20 nights to achieve Gold status or 45 nights to reach Platinum status.

New - Cardmembers can also receive a complimentary third night when they use their Card to purchase a two night minimum stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide. This is an exclusive offer only available to SPG Cardmembers.

These two new benefits will replace the existing annual 50 percent–off Award. The annual membership fee for the Card will increase to $65 from the previous $45, but the first year of Cardmembership is still free. (Cardmembers will not pay the new annual fee until their next anniversary date.) Cardmembers should expect a letter detailing the changes including the new benefits in the next day or so.

Cardmembers will continue to enjoy access to best-in-class benefits such as earning at least 4 Starpoints per dollar at participating hotels and resorts, and the ability to redeem Starpoints for stays at more than 940 participating hotels and resorts in more than 93 countries and for flights on more than 350 airlines -- both with no blackout dates. Visit SPG.com to book reservations or redeem Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Well--at least one person participating in this forum thinks the changes are "exciting".....

Okto Aug 1, 2010 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II (Post 14405406)
So, 10 pages and I am actually quite lost in the vast sea of replies.

You're lost? People could say it louder, but not clearer. To summarize:

1. SPG advertises two "exciting" benefits when they are neither exciting, nor real benefits.

2. These "benefits" are used as cover for a 44% increase in the yearly fee, so almost everyone is calling BS on it.

3. SPG/AMEX could've saved themselves a lot of commentary by avoiding all spin and just announcing the fee increase. Often times, a "little something" is a lot worse that just "nothing".

dtremit Aug 1, 2010 11:39 pm

Sigh. While I'll probably keep the card due to the points earn, I am now getting rewarded with:
  • Gold status I won't use because I'm already Plat, as a reward for my $30k spend
  • 5 nights I won't use because I qualify on stays

I really wish SPG and AmEx could work together on a card that didn't offer less benefits to people who are already loyal to SPG. Offering a stay equivalent to the 5 free nights really doesn't seem like it should be so hard.

Add me as another person awfully curious about what Hyatt's card details will be.

d.

Starwood Lurker II Aug 2, 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 14405500)
Would you be able to explain why this new promo code is being restricted to only Sheraton hotels and resorts? This is an SPG credit card -- not a Sheraton credit card.

I will try. ;)

Thank you for reading carefully what I have written.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

AZ Travels the World Aug 2, 2010 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 14405589)
SPG/AMEX could've saved themselves a lot of commentary by avoiding all spin and just announcing the fee increase.

I'd like to think that's true, but maybe I'm a little jaded from being around here for a while.

Had the fee increase just shown up in a letter from AMEX, it would have quickly been posted here -- and been followed by plenty of commentary. A 50 percent increase in anything rarely goes without comment.

I do believe, though, that SPG would have fared much better had they not tried to spin it as "two exciting new benefits," which clearly they are not -- at least for the vast majority in this audience.

And my money is on the idea that he who posted the news of these 'exciting new benefits' could likely have predicted this reception. Let's keep in mind that the messenger in this case isn't always responsible for the message.

unavaca Aug 2, 2010 1:08 am

Originally Posted by BL1KITW (Post 14395145)
Offer valid at participating Sheraton Hotels and Resorts.

Offer is valid for reservations booked and completed by December 31, 2011.

Offer is only valid for a three-night minimum length of stay.

Only available for arrivals at Hotels on Thursday-Saturday using Promo Code ZHA.

At Resorts all days of arrival are available using Promo Code ZRA.

For every two nights paid receive one night free.

Advance reservations are required.

Promotion code ZHA or ZRA must be mentioned when making a reservation through the Customer Call Centers.

The complimentary third night must be used in conjunction with a full paid two night stay. There are no credits for any unused nights if the guest checks out early.

These offers are based on Starwood's best available unrestricted retail rates.

Advance purchase required.

Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Reservations cannot be changed, are pre-paid and non-refundable. If cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax.

Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability at time of reservation and do not include additional per room, per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes.

A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates. Blackout dates and other restrictions apply. Offer not applicable to groups. Not to be combined with other offers or promotions and subject to change.

Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors.

The bookies in Reno are giving 3-to-2 odds that the AAA rate will be a better deal.

:td::td::td::td::td::td::td::td::td::td::td::td::t d::td::td::td::td::td::td: Those are terrible rules. It's a promo code, which means I can't stack it with anything else and any reservations made with this code are non-refundable. Totally useless.

neech7 Aug 2, 2010 1:12 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 14392956)
most of us qualify on stays these 2 benefits mean nothing.

:(

How do you and others here possibly know that? I, for one, happen to qualify on nights. I have very few stays per year, but each stay was for 7 - 10 nights. Not everyone has the same travel/stay pattern.

And yes, :td: to the annual fee hike.

Keyser Aug 2, 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 14405460)
I hate to see FTers badmouth the Starwood Lurkers.

^^

benolaa Aug 2, 2010 1:34 am

Yawn! Not the response I would have expected after all of the benefits from the Hilton Surpass.

starflyer Aug 2, 2010 1:52 am

I am willing to skip the two new enhancements and continue to pay the old fee. How do I select that option?

DownUnderFlyer Aug 2, 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by starflyer (Post 14405930)
I am willing to skip the two new enhancements and continue to pay the old fee. How do I select that option?

:)

Keyser Aug 2, 2010 6:50 am

Originally Posted by starflyer (Post 14405930)

^^

sign me up for that option too....

nfg05 Aug 2, 2010 7:15 am

Would love that option as well.

ws8n Aug 2, 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 14406682)
Would love that option as well.

Same here. If not, will probably cancel this card.

I wish Hyatt will work with Amex, instead of Chase.

Most loyalty cards never have a card fee associated with it, and if they do, they usually waive it off for top-tier members (like Chase MP Visa for 1K members).

I'm not sure why they want to lower Plat qualification requirements. Is SPG forecasting a dwindling in Plat numbers due to the weakening economy?

hhoope01 Aug 2, 2010 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ws8n (Post 14406954)
I'm not sure why they want to lower Plat qualification requirements. Is SPG forecasting a dwindling in Plat numbers due to the weakening economy?

Possibly the fact that the Marriott CCs are already offering something very similar might have had something to do with it?

Also, given most of the responses here about not offering "stays", as well as nights, and the laments that the difference between 45 nights and 50 nights isn't much, may mean that there will be very little change in the number of Plats due to this additional "benefit". So I suspect a "dwindling" number of Plats doesn't have much to do with this change either.