FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1111131-two-exciting-new-benefits-added-spg-credit-card-american-express-u-s.html)

pinniped Jul 30, 2010 9:28 pm

+1 on that...I think everyone's smart enough to see this as a basic 44% fee increase with nothing in return.

Hard to say whether I'll abandon the card - it has been very good to me and continues to be my primary-spend card in the absence of a truly unique offer (e.g. the BA 2-for-1 awards and my periodic HHonors Amex flurry to keep at least Gold status over there).

broadwayblue Jul 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles (Post 14393980)
Will $30,000 spend still earn Gold status?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 14393984)
Yes.

Best regards,

William

William, any chance $300,000 spend will now earn Platinum? I'd happily pay the extra $20 for that feature. :D

sc flier Jul 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 14395758)
I can't believe there are that many 45-night Golds. If someone is one, then they don't know the meaning or value of status anyway.

So what's the current cutoff point at which most Golds would determine that they are "so close" that it warrants booking a few more nights? If it's 44 nights this year, will it not be around 39 nights next year?

A resort fee is in no way a "restriction".
:rolleyes: You're right; "no restrictions" does not mean "no nickels and dimes." So how about "no restriction" on available room types?

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 14394137)
If you have both SPG Personal and Business cards, will you get 10 nights total credit or still only 5?

From the letter:
"Upon opening your Card Account and by February 15th in each subsequent calendar year it is open, you will receive from Starwood credit for 5 nights toward your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card account. Credits are limited to one annual 5 night Elite status credit per Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card account. You will not receive additional Elite status credits if you have multiple Card Accounts. Credits and status are subject to the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program."

Q: Will all existing cardholders receive credit for 5 nights in 2010?
A: Yes. All cardholders will receive 5 nights credit on or around Oct 12, 2010. (See post from SL II on or around post #414.)

czj48 Jul 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Looking at my card, I have been a Starwood/Sheraton Amex member for fifteen years now.

When I got it there was no annual fee at all and gold status was an automatic perk that came with it.

Year after year, I have watched as a fee was added, and then periodically increased, at the same time as regular category inflation among the hotels.

Every time, there was the usual marketing spin on the sole topic on the table: you are going to pay more and get less for your loyalty and you are going to like it.

High value high volume travelers will carry and use the AMEX Platinum Card.

Brendan Jul 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Oh-so-thank-U, BL1KITW for Post #50. I agree with Posts #11--15 that this "benefit" is worthless, esp. since the B2G1 stays are non-refundable.
I intend to cancel when my annual fee is billed in late November. I almost did last year.

sc flier Jul 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 14395990)
Oh-so-thank-U, BL1KITW for Post #50. I agree with Posts #11--15 that this "benefit" is worthless, esp. since the B2G1 stays are non-refundable.
I intend to cancel when my annual fee is billed in late November. I almost did last year.

So if you were considering a 3-night stay in a studio suite at the Westin Riverfront Resort on 8/9 - 8/12/2010, which of the following rates would you book now and why?
  • $199 DAILY "Book Now And Save - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed"
  • $249 BAR "Best Available Rate"
  • $199 AAA
  • $166 Z3H ($249 + 3rd night free)
  • $179 (For the sake of argument, let's suppose this is the best corporate rate.)

pvd2mco Jul 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Someone at AMEX slipped up! $45 to $65 is only a 44% increase. The increase was supposed to be 50% like last time when the annual fee went from $30 to $45. I guess they will make up for this error in a couple of years by raising it another 54% to $100.

thomas199023 Jul 31, 2010 4:49 am

I wish we had a SPG AMEX at all in the Netherlands (or Germany). William, any plans you know about for this in the future?

Keyser Jul 31, 2010 4:55 am

the increased fee sucks....

the 5 nights credit is of no use to me since i make plat quite easily....

the 3rd night free at sheraton would have been great if it was not prepaid....

i don't really see anything positive about these 2 new benefits....

sfozrhfco Jul 31, 2010 5:15 am

Why not just be honest and say we are taking away the SPG 50 and raising the annual fee? Corporate spin offering a "new benefit" like the 2 for 3 Sheraton deal is really ridiculous as the Z3H/Z3R is available for the same price and is not limited to Sheratons which I still rarely use.

For our corporate card, we are earning hundreds of thousands of starpoints which makes the $65 worth it. For others that I have gotten to switch to SPG Amex, it may be far less worth it now.

nologic Jul 31, 2010 6:02 am

I think if they just followed the logic and gave 2.5 stay credits...I think people would be more appreciative and accepting of the fee increases.

starflyer Jul 31, 2010 6:15 am

Time to bring back the Freddies, adding a new category of "Biggest Benefits Loss Spun As An Enhacement". Not saying this SPG change would win the award, but I sure think it would qualify for voting in the category. :td:

zachary Jul 31, 2010 6:27 am

This cinches the deal for me. I'll be switching off with my wife each year from now on and avoiding the annual fee while still collecting *points. There's no way this card is worth $65/year to me. Up to now, I've paid the fee to avoid having to change credit card numbers annually. But this is too much.

I emphasize that the card's not worth the new price "to me"; it may still be worth it to others.

travelinfoo Jul 31, 2010 7:09 am

I agree with everyone else re: no real new benefits. The B2G1F would be good if ANY SPG hotel, not just Sheraton, and no advance pay. The 5 nights spot is useless, I get my Plt primarily via stays.

Very unhappy about the increased annual fee. I got a personal & business card w/recent promotion. Will get rid of the business card come renewal time and debating on whether to keep the personal one.

Brendan Jul 31, 2010 7:11 am

Scflier #66, I would book the $179 corporate rate. It's worth $13 a night extra to me to keep my cancellation privileges!
Also, the present Z3H is already available to everyone, so the "new" ZRH is nothing new nor special!