Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best of Europe - What are your top European Starwood Properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Best of Europe - What are your top European Starwood Properties?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
anyone bagged the free weekend night in any of these hotels? too bad i dont have an upcoming trip to Europe and all the sensible choices I have for my 2 nights is Westin Tokyo or W HK.....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Elciego - Marqués de Riscal- hell of a drive - but once you're there - WOW!
Madrid - Westin Palace...location
San Sebastian - Hotel Maria Cristina

from service, employees remembering your name, to letting you slide on things here and there, to the go ahead, its on the house, I love the OS properties!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for starting this thread, SD1K. I've picked up on a few great properties I wasn't previously aware of.

Can't really add much about many properties, but nevertheless my two cents worth:

Austria, Vienna, Bristol: Nice, classic hotel. Got upgraded to an incredible suite, even as a lowly Gold, albeit perhaps because my wife and I were celebrating a special occasion and I let the hotel know in advance.

France, Paris, Prince de Galles: This one has gotten mixed reviews here at FT and at Tripadvisor, but we liked it. We had what was probably the most basic room, but it was fine, nicely appointed and large enough. Great location as well.

Hungary, Budapest, Le Meridien: Sleek, stylish hotel in a great location. Very good staff and service. Ask for an upper floor room overlooking the small park nearby, as it offers the best views.

Netherlands, Amsterdam, Pulitzer: While I think the hotel is a bit over-rated--it could use a refurbish and I found the service uneven--I still would not hesitate to stay there again. Its lay-out makes it a unique property in a fantastic location. And the two-level suites are fun if you don't mind the steep, narrow in-room staircase.

Poland, Krakow, Sheraton: While the hotel is fine, and threw in a free breakfast as part of an award stay a couple of years ago, I mainly recommend it because I like the city so much. A smallish university city with lots of history, architecture, sights and character, as well as a fantastic central square.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:42 am
In Memoriam

Park Lane

Whenever in London, I stay at the Park Lane.

However, I have heard wonderful things about the Meridien, and will probably give that a try on my next visit.

wwbgd
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
I would jet away to Europe just to spend another weekend at the Grande Bretagne in Athens.

Next would be the E&R Venice

Both had fabulous customer service and locations. Perfect for a getaway weekend.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Some really good ones have left Starwood, so its hard to say. From your list above SD1K, I agree with:

Blue Palace
Grand Bretagne
Danieli
Roma St. Regis
Westin Palace Madrid
Hotel Maria Christina
Hotel Des Indes

And I would add the Hotel Eden in Roma

Also check out this site... http://www.luxurycollectionspas.com/...ntinent=Europe

Lastly, I am waiting to be invited to some great parties at the new W's in London and Paris!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My favourites:

Milan: Le Meridien Gallia (closed now). Handy location, and good upgrade for me. Sheraton Diana Majestic wasn't bad either.

Paris: Prince de Galles. Nice location (near Arc de Triumph). I like its traditional decor.
Westin (better rooms) close behind, also good location, better if going to Palais Garnier. Had a very impressive upgrade despite being on free night.

London: Park Tower. Great location, and no 'horrible' rooms, although nothing particularly outstanding about the rooms. Services at the reception can be a bit distant but never rude.

Warsaw: Le Meridien Bristol. Excellent service and terrific location near the Opera House.

Athens: Grande Bretagne. Beautiful hotel, great view of Acropolis from the restaurant, lovely service (impressed that the manager recognised me and greeted me by name), great upgrade.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:18 pm

We liked Bristol and Goldener Hirsch in Austria. LM Monaco was nice despite the occasional mixed review. My favorite was des Indes in The Hague.

Here's my review of des Indes. Hotel des Indes
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Here are my fave five:

Le Meridien Split - A pleasant surprise. Wonderful location on the azure waters of the Adriatic. Nice pool and spa. Just a short drive from Split which is charming. Great upgrades for platinum's too

Sheraton Lisbon - Incredible Design - ultra modern - almost like a W. Great buffet breakfast. Cool rooftop bar (indoor). Nice outdoor pool and gift for plats.

Sheraton Stockholm - Excellent position in the centre of Stockholm. A fully stocked lounge for platinums too. Wonderful ikea-esque room. Spacious, bright and lots of wood!

Le Meridien London - The best and most central location in London... you're right in the heart of it! A superb lounge for platinum's with free alcoholic beverages and spirits all day long. Decent breakfast and the most refreshing, large, indoor poo.

W - Istanbul - Again, a decent location away from the major tourist sites but in a pleasant, modern, up-and-coming area. THe rooms are unlike any other W in the world. This is truly East meet WWWWest!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Le Meridien London - The best and most central location in London... you're right in the heart of it! A superb lounge for platinum's with free alcoholic beverages and spirits all day long. Decent breakfast and the most refreshing, large, indoor poo.
That's just what some people want after a decent breakfast!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:19 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by sc flier
That's just what some people want after a decent breakfast!
I was trying to think of something clever to say, but that is just perfect.

Sitting here giggling my head off and wondering at what age I'll finally grow up. A classic FT blooper
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:52 am
Suspended

Le Meridien London - Decent breakfast
If you are refering to the lounge breakfast, its perhaps the weakest breakfast I have ever seen anywhere.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mario33
If you are refering to the lounge breakfast, its perhaps the weakest breakfast I have ever seen anywhere.
you do know that you can order food in the lounge as well????its not just what is kept on the counter....if there is no menu at your table then you can ask for one....

i found their breakfast to be quite nice....
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
W - Istanbul - Again, a decent location away from the major tourist sites but in a pleasant, modern, up-and-coming area. THe rooms are unlike any other W in the world. This is truly East meet WWWWest!
i'm really looking forward to staying at this property towards the end of the year....
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:09 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=SanDiego1K;14295175]

Great idea San Diego !

Austria
Salzburg - Goldener Hirsch, wonderful 15th century inn in the heart of the Old Town (was a little disappointed by our tired room)
Near Salzburg - Schloss Fuschl (one of our best Starwood experiences)

Vienna - Westin Bristol, old world luxury, across from Opera House (didn't stay there but the manager gave us a lengthy personal tour and was extremely gracious )

Vienna - Imperial Hotel, old world luxury, grander than Bristol (only time Starwood Europe ever really let us down on a room)Vienna -

Le Meridien, contemporary design in a great sightseeing location
(didn't stay there but my Viennese friends recommend-especially the showers)

France
Paris - Prince de Galles - 2009/10 reports of indifferent service, but location is great - across from Tuilerie Gardens and near Louvre (have always treated us like kings- also has a good concierge staff)

Greece
Athens - Hotel Grande Bretagne, wonderful 5 star city hotel on Syntagma Square (On my list of great reservations we had to cancel bc of work

Crete - Blue Palace, an hour drive from Heraklion airport. Beautiful resort set into the hills with an amazing view overlooking the sea and other islands. Unique rock beach. Great treatment of Platinums. (see above- still dreaming of the vacation we didn't take)

Italy
Florence - Westin Excelsior, great platinum upgrades facing square and river
(THE best concierge team I've ever encountered- love the location)

Rome - Westin, very good service for a Westin. Old world decor.
(Great upgrade and nicest gift a hotel has ever given us- a beautiful book on Rome with vellum overlays)

Venice - Westin Europe and Regina, for the view if you get a room with a terrace/balcony fronting the Grand Canal (better view than Danieli) (my son loves this hotel and has gotten great upgrades)

Venice - Danieli, grand old palace hotel (have stayed here at least 5 times-LOVE this hotel- they put us in the Royal Suite for our 30th anniversary)Venice -

Gritti Palace, grand old palace hotel (Very nice- but we actually prefer the Danieli)

Netherlands

Amsterdam - Pullitzer, unique hotel layout, amazing location on the canal and the upscale Jordaan neighborhood, improved 2010 plat benefits
(Wonderful, charming hotel. We loved our room)
Airport Hotel Upgraded us to a lovely suite

Spain
Barcelona - (There were no Starwoods when we stayed there)Madrid - Westin Palace, old school Westin, but great location near museums
(another "lost vacation")

Seville - Alfonso XIII, commissioned by King of Spain in 1928 to be Europe's most luxurious hotel; great location close to all the major sites.
(See above)

UK - England
London - Sheraton Park Towers, one of the most beautifully designed hotel rooms in the Starwood chain. (Always treated well here- on 4 or 5 visits)

I love the treatment that Plats get in Europe- especially on Points.

These are jewels in Starwood's crown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.