Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

30,000 point bonus for new SPG AMEX - deadline is (extended to) 7/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30,000 point bonus for new SPG AMEX - deadline is (extended to) 7/31

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by tendi07
And lastly- does SPG or Amex, have online banking ( I cant think of the proper word for it right now), like Chase does? I currently use my United Mileage Plus Visa for everything and I like being able to see everything that's going on in my account online with Chase's online banking.
It should have option online to enroll your card and see your statement and activity as well as ability to pay the card just like Chase.

Regarding date , Delta amex had month end as statement closing date for me not sur eif it can be moved or not.

Thanks,

Dracs
Old Jul 3, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, CO OnePass, SPG Amex, US Airways
Thanks everyone who replied to my questions! Excuse my ignorance in my earlier posts, it was late at night when I wrote them...
thanks again!
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
I just signed up for this!

My GF submitted an application last week before I knew about this promo and was accepted. We need to call and see if they'll give her this promotion.

I really hope so.

Any thoughts on our chances to get the promo changed considering we still haven't received her card yet?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:38 am

Instant approval for the personal card. No clue of the CL yet, but should be getting it soon I hear.. Thanks!

Anyone know if there are any problems signing up for a business card in addition when we aren't actually a business? I know people say you can do it just fine by putting in your social, but is it against the AMEX rules? Will they cancel one or both cards? Or maybe fail to give you your bonus points?

Side note: Anybody know about the AMEX "audits?" I hear AMEX doesn't care what your actual income is and will only look at your most recent W2? The reason I ask: I just graduated law school and my income will be much higher after I take the bar at the end of this month. For now I put down my current income (supported by a W2 and student loans), but, for future reference: Can I immediately put down my increased income once I begin my job, or do I need to wait over a year to have a W2 that will support those numbers to be safe?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ejh25
I just signed up for this!

My GF submitted an application last week before I knew about this promo and was accepted. We need to call and see if they'll give her this promotion.
She can try but the chances are slim to none based on others experiences.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:46 pm

I have a AMEX Gold Premier Rewards and average about 2k a month so I dont think I am going to reach the 30k yearly threshold to get the bonus 15k miles. I also have a Delta AMEX that I dont use anymore, but has about 15k miles on it.

I've been looking for a way to maximize airline miles for some upcoming travel my wife will have to do for school. This would be for a few domestic economy flights over the next few years as well as one to Europe. At the same time we are applying for school loans as well, so I dont want to mess much with our very good credit by applying for all sorts of CC's. I am working on, and ultimately would like to get to where we put as many normal monthly expenses on one card and pay it off every month.

This card seems to be highly spoken of on this site, so I am interested in it. However, I am confused how the rewards are considered better than the Gold PR since it only earns 1 point on everything but starwood hotels (which I wont be staying at much,or at all in the next few years) and the Gold PR earns 2X on gas and groceries (a pretty big part of what we spend), 3X on travel (which we are trying to avoid paying for now, so not really much of a benefit). I read about some info about converting the starpoints to miles, which went right over my head. Will it convert better than 1 point for everyday spending and 2X for groceries?!? Also, I think I pay $175/yr for our Gold PR and this is $45/year which is quite a bit of savings...Oh, Im confused....
Please advise, as I'd like to take advantage of this while there is a good promo like this going on.

Last edited by barnburner; Jul 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, CO OnePass, SPG Amex, US Airways
Here I am again with one more question- If I just got this card with my husband as an authorized user, could he get his own SPG card during this promotion (he's never had one before, and he's got excellent credit as well), adding me as an authorized user to his account? Then after we meet the spending requirement, it'll give us total of 60 000 Starpoints ( I plan to combine mine 30 000 and his 30 000 into my account after both bonuses post).
Does this sound realistic? Has anyone done it this way?

Thank You!
Old Jul 3, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tendi07
Here I am again with one more question- If I just got this card with my husband as an authorized user, could he get his own SPG card during this promotion (he's never had one before, and he's got excellent credit as well), adding me as an authorized user to his account? Then after we meet the spending requirement, it'll give us total of 60 000 Starpoints ( I plan to combine mine 30 000 and his 30 000 into my account after both bonuses post).
Does this sound realistic? Has anyone done it this way?

Thank You!
Have you read all of this thread??????? Same question has been asked, and answered, a couple of times.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:43 pm

My wife and I just signed up for this card at the beginning of June. Ouch.

I realize that technically we didn't "lose" anything, since I had no way to know it was coming, and if this had never happened I wouldn't be the wiser, but it still hurts.

I sent a secure message asking about getting in on the new deal instead, but was refused. The agent did give me 3,000 points as a courtesy, which was nice. I asked him if 6 more emails might get me the remaining "lost" 17000 points, but he declined.

The funny thing is that since I handle everything, I sent the secure message for my wife as well, and I just cut and pasted the same message to save time. The same guy responded to both messages (and she got the 3000 points as well). I wonder if he noticed the cut and paste...
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
thanks for the info

SPG is my main card and took the opportunity to apply for my wife. Have a happy 4th
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:40 am

I applied on the 30th and was approved....my card came in the mail through FedEx yesterday...amazing!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Frontier Ascent, Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by barnburner
I have a AMEX Gold Premier Rewards and average about 2k a month so I dont think I am going to reach the 30k yearly threshold to get the bonus 15k miles. I also have a Delta AMEX that I dont use anymore, but has about 15k miles on it.

I've been looking for a way to maximize airline miles for some upcoming travel my wife will have to do for school. This would be for a few domestic economy flights over the next few years as well as one to Europe. At the same time we are applying for school loans as well, so I dont want to mess much with our very good credit by applying for all sorts of CC's. I am working on, and ultimately would like to get to where we put as many normal monthly expenses on one card and pay it off every month.

This card seems to be highly spoken of on this site, so I am interested in it. However, I am confused how the rewards are considered better than the Gold PR since it only earns 1 point on everything but starwood hotels (which I wont be staying at much,or at all in the next few years) and the Gold PR earns 2X on gas and groceries (a pretty big part of what we spend), 3X on travel (which we are trying to avoid paying for now, so not really much of a benefit). I read about some info about converting the starpoints to miles, which went right over my head. Will it convert better than 1 point for everyday spending and 2X for groceries?!? Also, I think I pay $175/yr for our Gold PR and this is $45/year which is quite a bit of savings...Oh, Im confused....
Please advise, as I'd like to take advantage of this while there is a good promo like this going on.

Yeah, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. The 30K offer was enough to get me of the fence and get the SPG Amex. I will be able to transfer SPG points to American Airlines, and the GoldPR doesnt really have any good hotel transfer deals unless your a big Holiday Inn Fan. I plan on keeping both cards, using GoldPR for Gas, Groceries and Flights, everything else on my new SPG.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Does anyone still use this card to buy $1 coins from the Mint?
I usually don't spend $1,000 in 3 months on credit cards, so I would like to confirm if I fall short of the $1,000 spend that I could buy some coins to meet the minimum spend (say $250-$500).
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Does anyone still use this card to buy $1 coins from the Mint?
I usually don't spend $1,000 in 3 months on credit cards, so I would like to confirm if I fall short of the $1,000 spend that I could buy some coins to meet the minimum spend (say $250-$500).
How about prepaying Internet, phone bill months in advance sound? or probably gift cards for your grocery store?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I was using mine for mint purchases up until around March or so when I got a call from AMEx telling me that if I continued to purchase coins on it, that they "may" cancel the card. I've decided that it wasn't worth the chance that they cancel my card, so I've found other ways to "spend" the money on it.

Plus, now that the Mint charges show up specifically as dollar coin purchases on the statement, I wouldn't recommend it. Before, everything bought from the Mint showed up the same. Now, the dollar coins have their own category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.