Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Have you ever purchased the night before when you wanted very early check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

We want to get into our hotel room around 9-10 am - I contacted the hotel and asked about a very early check-in, and as expected, was told the only way this could be guaranteed was if we purchased the room the night before.

I know this is what they will always say...but what has been your real-life experience with NOT paying for the extra night and getting in early?

This will be at the Sheraton Weehawken in New Jersey, and arrival will be on Sunday morning the 4th of July. We'll be getting off a cruise ship early that morning in Bayonne, and want to sit in our room and watch the Yankees game at 1:00 then the fireworks over the Hudson that night. She also pointed out that since it is a holiday weekend an early check-in might be even more problematic since many people will have booked for the weekend.

I think I know what our decision will be - but just thinking aloud and seeing if you think we'll be doing the right thing by reserving the 2 nights. Cash & Points makes it a little more palatable, but it's still tough to swallow a double expense.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
If you want to guarantee a room, you get the night before. I've done this often when traveling internationally.

I wouldn't expect to be able to get into my room early on July 4th because it requires that someone has checked-out early and the room has been cleaned or that they aren't full. I'm not sure you can guarantee either of those things.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: KF Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold Ambassador
I've arranged with hotel for check-in at 8am but its subject to availability.

I'll book if I was checking in at ~2am but for 9-10am, I'll check with hotel
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
For 9AM I would never do it, for 2AM I sometimes do. If you're SPG Elite they normally have a room by 10 AM at the latest. I have often had them at 6 AM. I havew only been Platinum a few weeks but 3 out of 3 early arrivals have had rooms, at roughly 6 AM each time.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
pig out on the ship....then get to the hotel about 10-10:30....good luck...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I would never do it for that late in the morning. Some resorts have given me trouble about checking in really early, but in a normal Sheraton if they have room they'll let you check in early in my experience.

And if it wasn't ready until a little later (I would think noon at the latest if you had platinum status) you could always just watch the game in the hotel bar.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I often take the HNL-SFO red-eye landing at 4:00am, so often book the previous day - check-in over the phone, and get a couple more hours of sleep before work.....
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

The hotel bar! Why didn't I think of that! And yes, it could stretch to a little later if we mosey off the ship. And it's not like we'll need to sleep, we'll be wide awake, unlike those of you arriving in the wee hours. Looks like a nice esplanade to walk along the riverfront there.

We'll stick with the one night and hope for the best.

And we only have very lame status, not even Gold - it's something called SPG Plus, and I don't even know what it means, but I know it's not anything, really.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
FYI- The Macy's fireworks are usually on the East River, and you might not see them from the Jersey side of the river. Last year they did move the fireworks to the Hudson, but that was for a special occasion.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, but I've got confirmation that they ARE going to be over the Hudson again this year.

See posts #10 and #12 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...fireworks.html
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Even if you don't check-in, most hotels will hold your bags and take them to your room when your room is ready. Whenever I'm traveling to a tropical spot, I pack a bathing suit in my overnight bag, check my bags in, and then head for the swimming pool.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
it's something called SPG Plus, and I don't even know what it means, but I know it's not anything, really.
It gets you guaranteed late checkout, and a possible room upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we travel a lot, so I'm not concerned about the mechanics of it:

My biggest concern is that it is a 3-day holiday weekend, this hotel has a front row seat to the biggest fireworks display in the country, and we're arriving that day. I just don't know if my fears are unfounded that most people will be staying put that day...so I think my unspoken fear is not JUST that we won't be able to get into our room early that day, but that the hotel may be overbooked completely - and they may "walk" us to a less desirable location.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:44 pm

To answer the question, yes I have bought the night before in order to guarantee my room for an early arrival.

In fact, Mrs. Flews and I just did it in January when we knew we would be tired and wanting our room immediately after 24 hours of travel to Australia.

FWIW, I also have a theory buying the night before enhances my chances for a suite upgrade - ie: law of averages = fewer rooms/suites are available in the morning because folks have not yet checked out. I have not been disappointed in this regard.

Cheers,
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We want to get into our hotel room around 9-10 am - I contacted the hotel and asked about a very early check-in, and as expected, was told the only way this could be guaranteed was if we purchased the room the night before.

I know this is what they will always say...but what has been your real-life experience with NOT paying for the extra night and getting in early?
If you want the room early, pay the night before. If you want to risk it, don't pay for it. Simple, no?

IMHO, I would pay if I really needed the room early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.