Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits denied during stay. . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum
Benefits denied during stay. . .

Hey there all!

Perhaps one can help clarify some things for me.

Earlier this month, I stayed at the Sheraton New York, and did the cash and points option. Things were a bit hectic I'd say, as I was given a double room, when I was the only one traveling, and had to wait until the next day to be given a King. I was given Club access to compensate for the inconvenience. However, when I tried to request a 4 P.M. checkout, the receptionist at the front desk said "for this room number?" I told her that I had the SPG AmEx credit card and that my SET number should show that I'm a Corporate Preferred member. The receptionist said that I wasn't entitled to such privilege.

So, instead of being able to enjoy the room and city for a while longer (I stayed there for a total of 3 days) every time I was a minute late past 12pm, the phone would ring and ring and ring.

So, I guess my question is, after redeeming points for the stay, and being denied a widely-advertised benefit (they had availability, they just said I didn't have such a privilege with my credentials), should I write a letter to complain/critique?

Anyone have a similar experience?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:40 am

When I have an issue like that I ask to speak with the general manager and if need be call Starwood in his or her presence for assistance. That usually works.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by phansy
Hey there all!

Earlier this month, I stayed at the Sheraton New York, and did the cash and points option. Things were a bit hectic I'd say, as I was given a double room, when I was the only one traveling, and had to wait until the next day to be given a King. I was given Club access to compensate for the inconvenience. However, when I tried to request a 4 P.M. checkout, the receptionist at the front desk said "for this room number?" I told her that I had the SPG AmEx credit card and that my SET number should show that I'm a Corporate Preferred member. The receptionist said that I wasn't entitled to such privilege.

So, instead of being able to enjoy the room and city for a while longer (I stayed there for a total of 3 days) every time I was a minute late past 12pm, the phone would ring and ring and ring.

So, I guess my question is, after redeeming points for the stay, and being denied a widely-advertised benefit (they had availability, they just said I didn't have such a privilege with my credentials), should I write a letter to complain/critique?

Anyone have a similar experience?
Originally Posted by mshaikun
When I have an issue like that I ask to speak with the general manager and if need be call Starwood in his or her presence for assistance. That usually works.
  1. You should have been given the room type booked, period. However, you accepted a double and lounge access for the inconvenience. The real issue here is why wasn't you room type ready when you arrived?
  2. You SPG AMEX has nothing to do with late check out. Unless you were trying to show you were brand loyal. However, that would me little to the person at the desk. You should have been given late checkout, period.

I agree with mshaikun handles things, that what I do. When that happens I whip out my blackberry and take a picture or start video recording. I like to have proof.

phansy, you should have asked for a manager as soon as you were denied late check out. Why didn't you ask for a manager? Not that you should have had to, to begin with!

I suggest is that you call CCS and explain the situation as you have done here. Obviously there needs to be some retraining. Hopefully, you have the name of the person who denied late check out.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
You should have been given the room type booked, period.
I thought on a C&P award, bedtype was "best effort" and not guaranteed.

I do agree that the hotel seemed to handle the situation very nicely by offering something else in place of the bedtype (i.e. Club Access). Personally, when traveling alone, if I had a choice between a double bed or a club access, I wouldn't have to think more than a second to answer that one.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Unfortunately correct.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
...You SPG AMEX has nothing to do with late check out. Unless you were trying to show you were brand loyal. However, that would me little to the person at the desk. You should have been given late checkout, period....
The SPG AMEX is what gives the Corporate Preferred status, which has the 4 pm checkout as a benefit. The front desk probably doesn't know that though...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:12 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thor17
The SPG AMEX is what gives the Corporate Preferred status, which has the 4 pm checkout as a benefit. The front desk probably doesn't know that though...
Actually, that would be Preferred Plus status, not Corporate Preferred...but probably 100% spot on regarding the rest.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec

Earlier this month, I stayed at the Sheraton New York
Sadly, this far into your post, it is quite clear where things went wrong
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by dtremit
Sadly, this far into your post, it is quite clear where things went wrong
No kidding - I think I've had less than a handful of SPG stays since working in NY and being treated like cr@p at the NY sheratons. I earned Gold annually before that (and did again this but with spend not stays, not that I use it much). There are better programs that have treated me much nicer since then.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01

I do agree that the hotel seemed to handle the situation very nicely by offering something else in place of the bedtype (i.e. Club Access). Personally, when traveling alone, if I had a choice between a double bed or a club access, I wouldn't have to think more than a second to answer that one.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unfortunately correct.
I stand corrected my apologies for posting incorrect information! I totally forgot this was a Cash & Points stay!

Originally Posted by thor17
This is what I meant by irrelevant. The Desk doesn't care that you obtained status via that card.

In any event, I hope phansy should contact CCS.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum
Thanks everyone. I do feel cheated out from the past stay. I saved up 12k points to use it with C&P, and as a student, that took a while! :-)

I do plan on writing, but not sure what they would be willing to compensate me for. I do know I'm going back to NY in the next 3 weeks, so if they are willing to correct themselves, and compensate me well, I'd def give them another chance.

Otherwise, I'll dip into my Gold Passport Platinum ;-)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:30 pm

I personally wouldn't expect much - however, the time I did follow-up with the front desk management after having been denied a late checkout, they offered 2500 starpoints as a means to rectify any inconvenience I may have experienced. YMMV.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Thanks everyone. I do feel cheated out from the past stay. I saved up 12k points to use it with C&P, and as a student, that took a while! :-)

I do plan on writing, but not sure what they would be willing to compensate me for. I do know I'm going back to NY in the next 3 weeks, so if they are willing to correct themselves, and compensate me well, I'd def give them another chance.

Otherwise, I'll dip into my Gold Passport Platinum ;-)
  1. Pick up the phone and contact CCS.
  2. Avoid the property, their are better choices in NYC
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)

I'd consider you getting the Club access as pretty good compensation. Not sure what you're expecting as compensation for a 4 pm checkout?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

CheapElite!

I will CALL :-)

AS for Club access, it was very limited. Consisted of a continental breakfast until 11am, then they closed down the club until about 1-130pm, then they opened it, but there were no munchies of any kind until 5pm or so when they did light apps until about 8pm, then they cleaned everything, and was just open (again, no munchies) until about 11pm.

So nothing special about the club lounge. All it had was a sitting area, and 2 outdated computers. Nothing more :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.