Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Capetown from USA via London (SA) or FRA (LH) in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite

I'm traveling to CPT solo in mid-February, will be a paid business class fare; cheapest routes (because of company contract w/United) will be UAL to either LHR or FRA, then on to CPT via either South African or Lufthansa. C class in either case. Never having flown SAA, I have no basis for picking it vs LH. Which carrier would you choose? Is SAA business class as good as LH, or UA? Overnight flights in both cases, too...

Thanks for sharing your experience
ST

Last edited by SportsTech; Jan 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm Reason: added info
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
SAA is so far above and beyond LH that it's not even funny, at least in seat quality, which is all that matters to me in a biz class product.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:24 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
SA via LRH without a doubt. The SA hard product is excellent, the bed is 180 degree flat and not 'slopey' as the LH one.
SA via FRA would require another connection in JNB (since they dropped the direct FRA/CPT flight in October). JNB is a pain and (still) has baggage handling 'problems'.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Great info, thanks for the advice

SAA it is! I may have to stop in Johannesburg on one end or the other, so I guess that will help me pick FRA vs LHR (not a fan of Heathrow, but not a fan of extra connections, either

I'll go IAD-LHR-CPT on the way out and back if I don't need to go to JNB, or CPT-JNB-FRA-IAD if Johannesburg is a requirement.

Any advice on carry-on restrictions w/SAA? My rollerboard won't (quite) fit in the LHR measurement cage - all but one wheel will get in. But I hate to check luggage for a short visit like this unless its absolutely necessary...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:31 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by SportsTech
SAA it is! I may have to stop in Johannesburg on one end or the other, so I guess that will help me pick FRA vs LHR (not a fan of Heathrow, but not a fan of extra connections, either

I'll go IAD-LHR-CPT on the way out and back if I don't need to go to JNB, or CPT-JNB-FRA-IAD if Johannesburg is a requirement.

Any advice on carry-on restrictions w/SAA? My rollerboard won't (quite) fit in the LHR measurement cage - all but one wheel will get in. But I hate to check luggage for a short visit like this unless its absolutely necessary...
I cannot remember off the top of my head what the official rule on hand luggage is with SAA (I think it is 2 pieces with max 8 Kgs each for C, but you better check on flysaa.com). My own experience (and observation) is that they give C passengers very little uphill about this, so - as long as you are not pushing the limit too hard - you should be OK. There is plenty of overhead locker space in the C cabin on the A34X's.
Remember though that airports also have their own rules (viz BAA for LHR in your post). Again South African airports - in my personal experience - are not too strict.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
have done both saa much better seat BUT I have always found LH to be less expensive..not sure if its applicable in your case....make sure you have plenty of time to transfer in lhr if you end up having to check in luggage...dont forget that if you go via jnb to capetown you will have to go through immigration there ie you cant check your bags through to capetown; there is a 7/8 min walk between terminals if you can fight your way past the builders...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by irish mark
have done both saa much better seat BUT I have always found LH to be less expensive..not sure if its applicable in your case....make sure you have plenty of time to transfer in lhr if you end up having to check in luggage...dont forget that if you go via jnb to capetown you will have to go through immigration there ie you cant check your bags through to capetown; there is a 7/8 min walk between terminals if you can fight your way past the builders...
In JNB from Int arrivals to Dom departures is now very easy (that bit of the new terminal is complete). The information about having to collect luggage, clear customs and re-check the luggage is true (and the wait for the luggage can be long, so the warning to allow plenty time is certainly valid!). I would allow at least 2 hours.
I have not done the reverse (JNB Dom arrivals to Int departures) for quite some time. The reports are that this is still 'builder infested' Also, the Int check in in JNB is a complete circus. If you really have to go via JNB in one direction, I would choose the incoming leg.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
defo agree last time i was there (nov 08) the domestic terminal was much nicer to get around that the international; its quite new..there is also a hotel right at the airport...if you want to get a nice meal and have time to spare....if you are getting a charter up to the kruger area be carefull as some dont fly from the main terminals..ie federal air...and they will have weight restrictions (although they do have a left luggage area)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Again, thanks to all for the directives and directions. The plan is now looking like IAD-LHR-JNB-CPT-LHR-IAD, on UA where possible (company contract) and SAA otherwise. I plan to spend a couple days in the JNB area (is it feasible/reasonable to go to Kruger Park one night and return the next night?), then fly to CPT. Any thoughts on intra-SA filights? I gather SAA and BA both fly the route, but imagine there is at least one domestic competitor?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Again, thanks to all for the directives and directions. The plan is now looking like IAD-LHR-JNB-CPT-LHR-IAD, on UA where possible (company contract) and SAA otherwise. I plan to spend a couple days in the JNB area (is it feasible/reasonable to go to Kruger Park one night and return the next night?), then fly to CPT. Any thoughts on intra-SA filights? I gather SAA and BA both fly the route, but imagine there is at least one domestic competitor?
For 'intra SA' do you refer to the JNB/CPT trip or a possible one-day sidetrip to Kruger?
I have no experience with the latter, so I'll leave that to others.

JNB/CPT is served by SA and BA and by three LCC's: 1 time, Kulula and Mango. I however would have thought that - as part of an intercontinental *A ticket in C- it would be better value to stick with SA (I do the same in Europe: the add-on - in C - for LHR/ZRH for instance is less than any other regular fare).
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
OK, along these lines, who has the better Y seat, SAA or LH? Flight would be JNB-FRA. And, yes, I cringe at the thought of being stuck in a Y seat for that long. But is it at all bearable on either of the airlines?

Additionally, I'm considering TK IST-JNB on the inbound? Any thoughts on TK int'l Y seating?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
GS? Y? WHY?

Can't you burn an award? Or at least get an upgradable fare on LH?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by stevenshev
GS? Y? WHY?

Can't you burn an award? Or at least get an upgradable fare on LH?
Thanks for the genuine concern, stevenshev. I would really appreciate help in finding a logical way around the Y journey. Here's the deal...

I'm looking at award travel for me +1 to align with an already set trip by a friend during peak travel time (new years-ish). I realize the relative great value of C awards (N.America-Africa), but C awards are not to be found as of now. And I have a ton of SWUs, so I thought I would do Y award via Europe and at least use SWUs to upgrade the TATL flights on UA metal.

Also, perhaps inconsequential, we were hoping to do a multi-day stopover in Europe (AMS, most likely) on the way.

Any thoughts? I know I'm missing something. Help me save my legs.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:37 pm

Dates for each leg (including Europe stopovers (and where)) and US origin city, please. Feel free to PM me, if you'd prefer.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Any thoughts? I know I'm missing something. Help me save my legs.
Last year when I booked a flight through JNB around late Dec/early Jan, SA opened up a lot of availability for award C within a month of travel. Before that, it was all 0s.

Did you try the TP flight? It's not immediately intuitive, but they seem to have better availability there than on the SA or LH flights in C.

MS has an iffy C product, but if there's nothing else then they're an option. Of course, whether you'd rather take Y on an SA nonstop or C on MS connecting through CAI...

Also, I have never personally had success finding availability as an award, but it's theoretically possible to connect IAD/ORD-GRU-JNB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.