Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which airline *A F award LH MUC-SIN-DPS or TG FRA-BKK-DPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline *A F award LH MUC-SIN-DPS or TG FRA-BKK-DPS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Question Which airline *A F award LH MUC-SIN-DPS or TG FRA-BKK-DPS

Hello all, would really appreciate your thoughts on an upcoming *A award itin.

I have a *A award in F from DEN-DFW-DPS, with an Atlantic routing. I'm looking to optimize the experience in the air and in the lounges. I currently have:
1).
LH F DFW-FRA
LH Biz FRA-MUC
LH F MUC-SIN
SQ Biz SIN-DPS

2).
But I noticed this alternative is also available:
TG F FRA-BKK
TG Biz BKK-DPS

3).
I can't tell on the ANA tool if SR is available, but would that be a better option from US-Europe or beyond?

Which itinerary do you think better and why?
Since I'm arriving into FRA in LH F, would I be able to use the LH FCT even if I'm departing on a different *airline?

Thanks for any assistance!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Where2next?
Hello all, would really appreciate your thoughts on an upcoming *A award itin.

I have a *A award in F from DEN-DFW-DPS, with an Atlantic routing. I'm looking to optimize the experience in the air and in the lounges. I currently have:
1).
LH F DFW-FRA
LH Biz FRA-MUC
LH F MUC-SIN
SQ Biz SIN-DPS

2).
But I noticed this alternative is also available:
TG F FRA-BKK
TG Biz BKK-DPS

3).
I can't tell on the ANA tool if SR is available, but would that be a better option from US-Europe or beyond?

Which itinerary do you think better and why?
Since I'm arriving into FRA in LH F, would I be able to use the LH FCT even if I'm departing on a different *airline?

Thanks for any assistance!
What about FRA-ZRH and then ZRH to BKK or SIN on LX.

Another option is to keep checking availability on the FRA-SIN flight with SQ.

TG is a decent option, but they are know to switch aircraft with old F cabin. Also, you can't use the FCT in FRA, but you can connecting to LX or LH.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:49 am

Well, I think the LX product to Asia is inferior to both LH & TG - so that is not an option I would choose.

If you can get availability, you may try to fly LH/F on FRA-BKK or FRA-SIN, which will allow you to use the FCT in FRA. From BKK or SIN, you can take TG or SQ to DPS.

Between SQ & TG, I personally favour TG - but that is a personal preference, since I think SQ is generally overrated.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:22 am

Well, I think the LX product to Asia is inferior to both LH & TG - so that is not an option I would choose.
I'd love to know on what basis you find LX's F product inferior to both LH and TG. Especially compared to LH.

You can't use the FCT because they must be able to give you a limo service from the FCT to your departing flight, which they can't do with TG. However, you can use the FCL which offers all the same facilities of the FCT without the limo transfer, if you arrive into FRA on LH F.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by stargold
I'd love to know on what basis you find LX's F product inferior to both LH and TG. Especially compared to LH.
As would I.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:36 am

I personally rate the LX and LH F product very similar. I pesonally dislike the missing privacy on the 747 in F when travelling alone.
TG seats are better than LH/LX as long as you get the new seats (check the TG forum - some discussion there).
SQ seats on the new 777 are even better, but almost impossible to get. Their seats on the 747 are a bit dated, but still good.

So for me i would look for:
777 on SQ as a first choice
If that is not available i would look at LH,LX *(first) and TG (second) and SQ (third) but would avoid the 747 on LH when travelling alone and pick the best schedule on any of these 4 airlines.

Also the FCT in FRA is a great experience, but then BKK and SIN is a 747. And have an extra connection flight on LH to MUC or ZRH just for the FCT is likely not really worth it.
The F lounges in MUC and ZRH are ok, but don't warrant a detour.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:48 am

On second thought, I would fly OZ from LAX or ORD to ICN, then ICN-SIN on SQ F, then SIN-DPS.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:54 am

I have taken all of the above airlines. IMHO LX has a fantastic first class service.. I really think you should consider it... the food is wonderful and the Cuvee Louse Pommery Champagne is great....
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'd take TG F, cutting out a connection. Ground arrival in BKK will be nice, have the golf cart take you to the F lounge.

HOWEVER since your profile says you're a UA 1K I'd guess you're using UA miles -- and you may find that TG Europe - Bangkok in premium classes is being filtered and that you can't book it even though ANA shows availability. TG F Europe-Asia is one of the original-blocked routes from the early days of *Net blocking.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Actually all of these airlines are just fine in F. My preference would be LH/LX (equal to me), then TG F. With TG the FRA route is usually safe from equipment change- not so much MUC. Alternatively, the OZ F product is also very nice. Recommendation: Take whatever you can get if using UA miles...
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Thanks folks for the input- I really appreciate it.

Although I've flown LH LX and SQ F in the last year, I'll try to take a combination of LX/LH on my outbound trip. I currently have SQ on my return, and have been in the T3 lounge, but not on the F side.

I haven't flown TG F, and must admit that the BKK lounge is tempting- the hint of a spa lounge would appeal to any girl

Thanks again and happy travels!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Where2next?
I currently have SQ on my return, and have been in the T3 lounge, but not on the F side.
Don't let the SKL F at SIN T3 sway you in any way or form whatsoever. The 2nd time I was there, I barely stayed for 20 minutes since it's such a boring lounge, preferring to look around the shops while waiting for my flight.

The TG lounge at BKK, however, is much more compelling - though still not enough to have any difference in whether I want to fly one airline over another.

Assuming availability, just choose the flights that you know you will enjoy once onboard, rather than bring lounges into the equation - they might be impressive, but still nothing more than waiting rooms with food at the end of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.