Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

"Reasonable" *A Premium Fares (trans atl) - UK-SLC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*LG (fwiw!;-)

Hi

Just thought I'd see if anyone has suggestions for reasonably priced routes to get from UK (any LON, BHX, MAN) to SLC.
I have been going there for many years and got v fed up with the lousy UA route via ORD (rubbish service, lots of delays, etc. etc.)
So, last year I managed to work a routing that wasn't offered by any of the standard engines - mixed airlines, etc. I did LHR-LAX direct with NZ (PE out, BIZ back, EXCELLENT service), then booked LAX-SLC with UA and SLC-LAX with Delta (I know they're not *A) but managed to book via Expedia. Used this routing twice and it worked well, however NZ have rocketed up their fares and the same routing now would cost > £500 more!
So, any other creative routings? Esp. now the 'open skies' might have opened up some new routings... (the only direct Intl flight to SLC I am aware of is Air France, PARIS to SLC - no good for *A boy, looking for miles to retain Gold!! ;-)

I hope one of you creative FT's has some ideas on this!?!

Many thanks

David
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
You did not indicate how much you are willing to spend, but you might want to look into SK's business class fare DUKBIZ LHR-SLC with a base price of GBP 2.323.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Assuming you don't want to double-connect, I don't see how you do it other than NZ, UA or US. Double connecting could introduce lots of options like several LH options, even an SQ option via their JFK/FRA flight (US flies JFK-SLC I think... the *A Timetable shows SLC-JFK on US but no JFK-SLC). For those routes, the first connection is Europe-based. Double connects would also open up AC options, but you still end up having to get a last leg on US or UA. That leads to a double connect both within N. America.

There are a lot of US options out of LGW to various places that US also flies to SLC. I don't know about connection timing but US flies to both LGW and SLC from: CLT, LAX, and PHL. CLT and PHL should certainly have less delays than an ORD.

Not sure US is an improvement over UA on service... especially in light of the continuous roll out of the new Biz product on UA. And if that entices you, don't overlook going via DEN to perhaps avoid some of the ORD-type delays. One downside, is that some DEN-SLC flights are on a CRJ, but it looks like there are also CR7, 733 and 319 flights as well that would keep you in a premium fare class.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*LG (fwiw!;-)
Thanks for that, I'll have a bit more a dig into US. As far as UA and their new Biz rollout, can you suggest a good place to find plane/route info? Might be worth giving them another shot!

As far a budget I don't really want to spend more than £2K.... Fell nicely below that with NZ, etc. last year, but their prices have REALLY gone up...:-(

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.