Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

$500 Surcharge to fly SQ from LAX-SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First

Just bought a *A business class RTW, but airline wanted additional $500 if I flew LAX-SIN (on the way to BKK; TG direct was waitlisted) on a
A340, not even A380.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding these surcharge rules?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Just bought a *A business class RTW, but airline wanted additional $500 if I flew LAX-SIN (on the way to BKK; TG direct was waitlisted) on a
A340, not even A380.
Erm ... how about the comprehensive *A RTW rules found in the *A Useful Reference Links sticky at the top of this Forum?

cheers,

Henry
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Had run a search in the forum using search "surcharge" before posting my question, but search came out negative, but thanks.
Originally Posted by henry999
Erm ... how about the comprehensive *A RTW rules found in the *A Useful Reference Links sticky at the top of this Forum?

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:36 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just avoid flying SQ. I used to do 2-3 business class returns between Europe and Australia per year with them but their surcharges, service and other behaviour has made me move my business to other carriers.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
A340, not even A380.
Yes, there are surcharges on Star Alliance RTW tickets if you fly on any of SQ's 777-300ER, A340-500 and A380 services which have the new Business Class seatings. You will also end up paying a surcharge for flying on ANY of Air Canada's 777-300ER and 777-200LR services too!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:54 am

Do the same surcharges apply to non-RTW award tix? I am about to book a trip to BKK and DPS that involve a lot of SQ flights, but may need a backup plan if surchages are involved.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by State fan
Do the same surcharges apply to non-RTW award tix?
I believe the surcharges are only for revenue tickets. They handle the award ticket issue by restricting or eliminating award inventory.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75

cheers,

Henry
Then it needs to be updated as the sticky says:
Please note SQ A345 flights SIN - LAX/EWR will no longer be allowed on the RTW with effect from sale on/after 01DEC06

whereas the OP says "Just bought a *A business class RTW" and he is charged a SQ surcharge on LAX-SIN.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Do the same surcharges apply to non-RTW award tix? I am about to book a trip to BKK and DPS that involve a lot of SQ flights, but may need a backup plan if surchages are involved.
ASFAIK on SQ 777-300ER (77W), A380, and A345 are not available for awards in anything other than Y.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ulyparis
Then it needs to be updated as the sticky says:...
'The sticky says' ??? If, as we may assume, you are referring to the *A Useful References Links sticky mentioned above, then I would note that 'the sticky' contains dozens of threads with hundreds of messages, many of which are left in place merely for historical interest. To pluck one line out from those thousands of words, without context, is not particularly helpful.

OK, let me spell it out for you. In the *A Useful Reference Links sticky at the top of this Forum there is a section headed *A RTW. The second item in that section is

> *A RTW rules - from NZ (effective 1 May 2008) and
> *A special (economy) RTW rules - from NZ (effective 1 May 2008)

to which the keeper of the thread has appended the following note in bright bold red letters:

> For the latest rules use the link above

Why? He explains:

> (other versions of rules included for completeness/comparison with
> discussion threads, and so I don't lose the links to alternate sources)

It can't get much clearer than that, surely? And when one studies that latest posted version of the rules, one finds nothing about SQ A345s and 'RTW with effect from sale on/after 01DEC06'.

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:29 pm

Aircraft surcharges apply to 77W, A380 and A345 only.

BKK and DPS are not served by these a/c.

Don't know about fuel surcharges though.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 9V-SIA
Don't know about fuel surcharges though.
Fuel surcharges usually depend on the ticket issuing carrier, not the operating one. YMMV so.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
'The sticky says' ??? If, as we may assume, you are referring to the *A Useful References Links sticky mentioned above, then I would note that 'the sticky' contains dozens of threads with hundreds of messages, many of which are left in place merely for historical interest. To pluck one line out from those thousands of words, without context, is not particularly helpful.

OK, let me spell it out for you. In the *A Useful Reference Links sticky at the top of this Forum there is a section headed *A RTW. The second item in that section is

> *A RTW rules - from NZ (effective 1 May 2008) and
> *A special (economy) RTW rules - from NZ (effective 1 May 2008)

to which the keeper of the thread has appended the following note in bright bold red letters:

> For the latest rules use the link above

Why? He explains:

> (other versions of rules included for completeness/comparison with
> discussion threads, and so I don't lose the links to alternate sources)

It can't get much clearer than that, surely? And when one studies that latest posted version of the rules, one finds nothing about SQ A345s and 'RTW with effect from sale on/after 01DEC06'.

cheers,

Henry
Thank you, got it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.