Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NYC to Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how to use my staralliance frequent flyer mile to go from New York City to Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap. I'm thinking of redeeming miles for a business class seat. Has anyone done anything similar to this itinerary?

Thank you.

Jay
Old May 25, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Except for OZ (ICN-REP), there are no other Star Alliance flight to Seam Reap. You won't be able to get an itiniary from SGN-REP on *A. You can double back to ICN but that is just a waste of miles. It is better if you just buy a Vietnam Airlines ticket from SGN to REP instead.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I am actually going from NYC to Vietnam and Cambodia next month on a first-class award.

The only *A carrier that goes to REP (Siem Reap) is Asiana from Seoul. You have plenty of options from SGN. So perhaps you could do an open-jaw award NYC-ICN-REP/SGN-XXX-NYC. Then take a regional airline (e.g., Vietnam Airlines) from REP-SGN. Also, Silk Air (the subsidiary of Singapore Airlines) goes from SIN-REP, but you can't use a *A award for this.

I, of course, had difficulty finding an award seat, so I booked to BKK, on Air China JFK-SFO-PEK, continuing on Thai PEK-BKK. I am taking Bangkok Airlines from BKK-REP, then Vietnam airlines the rest of the way.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:07 pm

Which specific airline program holds your miles? The answer to that will have a VERY large effect on your options....

Getting to SGN is fairly straightforward. Only VN flies SGN - REP, but it's only 260 miles....just buy a local ticket. They fly the route 4x daily.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by MilesNPointsAddict
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how to use my staralliance frequent flyer mile to go from New York City to Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap. I'm thinking of redeeming miles for a business class seat. Has anyone done anything similar to this itinerary?

Thank you.

Jay
There a a few options. I didnt spend much time in SGN but spent a number of days in Hanoi and much preferred it to SGN. You can get to SGN on UA and then go on Vietnam Airlines (which I thought was a very nice carrier) to Siem Reap. Alternately, you might be able to go to either city in Vietnam from Tokyo on ANA or Frankfurt on LH. From there you could go to Siem Reap. Lastly, if those werent available you could try BKK on UA or ANA (or a combination. Then go Bangkok Air to Siem Reap, Vietnam Air to where you wanted to go in Vietnam and back to BKK for the return.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably fairly hard to get UA tix in biz on the route JFK-LAX/SFO-HKG-SGN. It's getting the LAX/SFO-HKG portion that will be tough.

You might find it easier to get a *A biz award for JFK-SFO/SEA/LAX/ORD-NRT-HKG-SGN. The NRT-HKG sector would be on ANA, the U.S. domestic and HKG-SGN on United, and the leg to NRT on United or ANA.
Old May 26, 2008, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Probably fairly hard to get UA tix in biz on the route JFK-LAX/SFO-HKG-SGN. It's getting the LAX/SFO-HKG portion that will be tough.

You might find it easier to get a *A biz award for JFK-SFO/SEA/LAX/ORD-NRT-HKG-SGN. The NRT-HKG sector would be on ANA, the U.S. domestic and HKG-SGN on United, and the leg to NRT on United or ANA.
You can also do JFK-NRT direct on ANA.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I haven't booked award travel to REP or SGN, but have had success getting C awards on TG between JFK and either BKK or KUL. TG is also the quickest trip by a fair amount. As others have mentioned, only OZ will get you to REP. Not sure what time frame you were considering but a quick check using the ANA tool shows availability for OZ JFK-REP in C departing 2/25/09, and for TG SGN-JFK in C returning 3/13/09. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.