Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Who should I fly OZ or UA and which plane do you prefer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat

Hi I need some help deciding what carrier to take for my Holiday this December. I have scowered the boards, and just think that I could use a little more advice then I see on the various threads. I wanted to know what people think of OZ and which UA F cabin they prefer. I have taken UA F once from LHR-SFO on a 747 and loved it, and C on a 777 but never F. The other issue, is that our final destination is Phuket and will have to make a few connections so that has me wondering too.

SFO-KIX on a 747 in F on UA (this will offer the least amount of connections at 2) fly to SIN/BKK/or ICN and then onto HKT. There is a possible forced stay over on this trip, just to ensure travel in F or C.

SEA-NRT on a 777 in F on UA (this will be 4 connections probably) SFO-SEA-NRT-BKK-HKT with a 55 minute connection on NRT, this bothers me as any hiccup could screw this up. Do I have to go through customs in NRT?

LAX-ICN on a 777 in C on OZ (also 2 connections) SFO-LAX-ICN-HKT

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old May 5, 2008, 1:30 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Very little difference between 747 F and 777 F on UA. I wouldn't go to 4 connections just for one plane type...
The forced overnight is also not that great though.
Is this miles or revenue booking? If miles, I'd go with the OZ itin as it's the best compromise between schedule and comfort. If revenue, I'd stay on UA for the bonuses.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:26 am

Just took OZ from ICN-LAX. One word... sensational..
Old May 5, 2008, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a huge difference in F on UA, although I give the 777 the slight edge for the more spacious feel. I would rather save the miles and do OZ C if possible, as their C product is almost comparable to UA F.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:13 am

OZ C would be my choice as well. If you can get OZ F on LAX-ICN (by November, all F will be new seats), that would the best option. To keep you in all F cabin, try to find LAX-ICN-HKG/PEK/PVG-BKK-HKT. ICN-HKT is on old 763 so it will have old style business class and is not worth flying.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Very little difference between 747 F and 777 F on UA. I wouldn't go to 4 connections just for one plane type...
The forced overnight is also not that great though.
Is this miles or revenue booking? If miles, I'd go with the OZ itin as it's the best compromise between schedule and comfort. If revenue, I'd stay on UA for the bonuses.
It's non-rev (using miles) and do want a farily straightforward trip, my wife is not much into MR's so I'm trying to keep it at a minimum. I don't mind UA C of F for INTL, but I was not sure if OZ was better.

Originally Posted by RTW4
Just took OZ from ICN-LAX. One word... sensational..
What made it so great?

Originally Posted by brahms77
OZ C would be my choice as well. If you can get OZ F on LAX-ICN (by November, all F will be new seats), that would the best option. To keep you in all F cabin, try to find LAX-ICN-HKG/PEK/PVG-BKK-HKT. ICN-HKT is on old 763 so it will have old style business class and is not worth flying.
I would LOVE to do OZ in F. But I don't even see it as an option in Dec from LAX. I only looked on the ANA booking tool, and it showed all C config for that route on the 12:30 AM on a 777. Also thanks for the routing info, I'll look into it.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: TG, OZ, KE, JL,mh
Wink Beauty or the Beast

One and only one option. OZ no doubt. They go outta their way to be attentive and of service. All are knockout beautiful. Vs. the battle axes of UA. Is there any choice? Not in my mind.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:33 am

Why are you ignoring NH and TG?

We are also going to Phuket area in december. I chose to take NH to NRT and then TG from NRT-BKK-HKT. You can actually even make the last flight to HKT if you take the 455pm flight on TG from NRT to BKK.

Everything I read suggested that NH C was as good if not better then UA F, so why waste the miles. You could aslo do lAX-BKK on TG. BUt I was in this exact same scenario slmost (flying from ORD instead) and I chose NH C class.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
F >> C. Period.

F >> C. Period. OZ C may be nice, but it isn't F.

OZ F food & Service > UA food & service.

UA F Suite > OZ F sleeper seat. (Unless you get new OZ F suite, but I don't know if any of them are out there yet.)

For F, I would take OZ unless the mileage program bonuses are important. Their F seat, while dated, is still quite nice.

For C:
OZ new C > UA old C > OZ old C.
OZ 777 may have new C, OZ 747 is eventually to be upgraded to their new C.
Avoid OZ old C. Think UA old old business, with limited legroom and seat recline.

OZ C service is consistently good; nothing special about OZ C food (except perhaps for their Korean selections, but I wouldn't know because I usually OD on Korean food while I am in Seoul, so I pass.)
Old May 7, 2008, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice!!

Originally Posted by 1kBill
F >> C. Period. OZ C may be nice, but it isn't F.

OZ F food & Service > UA food & service.

UA F Suite > OZ F sleeper seat. (Unless you get new OZ F suite, but I don't know if any of them are out there yet.)

For F, I would take OZ unless the mileage program bonuses are important. Their F seat, while dated, is still quite nice.

For C:
OZ new C > UA old C > OZ old C.
OZ 777 may have new C, OZ 747 is eventually to be upgraded to their new C.
Avoid OZ old C. Think UA old old business, with limited legroom and seat recline.

OZ C service is consistently good; nothing special about OZ C food (except perhaps for their Korean selections, but I wouldn't know because I usually OD on Korean food while I am in Seoul, so I pass.)
This wis an award ticket and the 777, and 747 are on the route around the dates I want to travel, but only thr 777 had availibility and it appears to be all C. So I think it's a new plane. That would be my first choice.

Originally Posted by hindukid
We are also going to Phuket area in december. I chose to take NH to NRT and then TG from NRT-BKK-HKT. You can actually even make the last flight to HKT if you take the 455pm flight on TG from NRT to BKK.

Everything I read suggested that NH C was as good if not better then UA F, so why waste the miles. You could aslo do lAX-BKK on TG. BUt I was in this exact same scenario slmost (flying from ORD instead) and I chose NH C class.
The reason for asking about OZ and UA, was because it was the only options available at the time of travel in Dec. I personally want SQ for the whole trip but that was very very hard to get. Secondly I have only flown NH once in C on a 777 NRT-SFO 1 1/2 years ago, and I was underwhelmend, buy the product and the service. It might have been because I did an all SQ trip and the service was so outstanding, that their service in comparrison felt like the difference between UA F and US F. I'm a big guy 6' and 260 and the seat was just not comfortable, and most of the crew in C didn't speak English and I don't speak Japanese. Anyhow, I hope your trip is WAY WAY better. When are you going we're there Dec 22-30th.

Anyhow, when I went to book, the OZ flight was blocked w/ UA miles. But...the sliver lining, was that I did get UA to KIX in F and then SQ all the way to HKT in C (no F avail) and then SQ from HKT to DPS and then back to SFO, one seat in F and one in C. Hate to pay the extra miles, but it's just the way it it.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
sorry for the very basic question but I'm looking at C award in Oct and Asiana is the main availability. How/where are you finding whether the planes are old or new config? I've seen on their website the schedule listing the plane type, but not an indication as to the configuration.

Apologies to add on to this thread on a slightly different tangent.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
sorry for the very basic question but I'm looking at C award in Oct and Asiana is the main availability. How/where are you finding whether the planes are old or new config? I've seen on their website the schedule listing the plane type, but not an indication as to the configuration.

Apologies to add on to this thread on a slightly different tangent.
The only way I was able to tell, was that the OZ flights I was looking at were 777 and it only showed C awards on the ANA bboking tool. It didn't even show any other options for awards. Also, I believe when you look at their web site it showed the same too. I'm not at all familiar w/ OZ, so I'm not sure what they fly to LAX...but in Dec 08 I see see two options a 777 and a 747, the 747 looks like it's a 3 class plane.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:46 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The soft product of OZ is very good with excellent service, great food and drinks. C is very comfortable but if you can get into F then even better. Just make sure there is no 747 with the old C seat in there.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Always OZ instead of UA, unless the OZ C flights is operated by the dated 747s, as DownUnderFlyer mentioned already.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Always OZ instead of UA, unless the OZ C flights is operated by the dated 747.
Ive got an upcoming flight from BKK - ICN on a 767. I've not seen anyone talk (good or bad) about this plane. Any info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.