Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A Award To Papeete

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

*A Award To Papeete

I was thinking about planning a vacation to Bora Bora this fall and was wondering if anyone has ever successfully booked a *A award to Papeete? It looks like Air New Zealand is the only *A partner that flies from the US to Papeete. It looks like they fly direct from LAX a couple times a week and I'm sure there's the option of connecting through Australia. I tried to do a little research on seatcounter but couldn't get it to show award availability on Air New Zealand, even after entering the airline twice. I'm not familiar with the ana search tool so haven't tried that but just wondering if anyone has had any experience in the past.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'll move this to the Star Alliance Forum so the world travellers there can assist you.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hi Time2Travel! I have a booking for a 2 business class award tickets in August for SYD-AKL-PPT and back. Well, one leg back is in economy.
So yes, you can get award tickets. But you need to book them well in advance. NZ does not fly LAX-PPT on their own metal anymore. It is a codeshare with Air Tahiti Nui. So you need to fly from LAX to AKL or SYD and then connect.

Having said this, there currently is still availability in Y for many dates in August and September for AKL-PPT and for LAX-AKL. So should be no problem booking this as long as you have time and are flexible with the dates.

Just one note. Sometime UA restricts award inventory for their members. So even so people of M&M and other Star Alliance programs might be able to book flights, UA Mileage Plus members might not.

Enjoy Bora Bora. It is supposed to be really nice (and expensive).
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:52 am

Tried in June to secure 4 tickets in either class for AKL-PPT in December. I knew it was late but no harm in trying. To my surprise it was actually possible - one of the legs even in C. However due to other schedule issues I has to move the return date forward with one day - and that messed things up.

Take at look at this one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781490
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Hotel advice...

For what it is worth, try and avoid the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort...looks great in the photos, but I've never had poorer service, shabby accommodation, lack of interest from staff and management, and an overpriced stay in all of my travels. Even two complaint letters went unanswered. I found a previous guests' used band-aid stuck to the writing desk in my end of pier, overwater bungalow (tasty!), pillows were musty and damp, room was dusty and dirty, very worn. Waitresses were barefoot in the top restaurant, which was very expensive. I watched honeymooners sharing main courses as they were so horrified by the prices. Other properties have opened since I was there last year, do be sure to check them out!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:33 am
glg

In case it's not obvious, you have to go LAX-AKL-PPT, the former LAX-PPT flights are gone. That's a long way out of the way...
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
and AKL-PPT only a couple of times a week - not terribly convenient
Old Jan 27, 2008, 8:40 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Unfortunately this is one destination the SkyTeam has a leg up on. AF flies from LAX to PPT. But those seats are almost impossible to come by, from what I'm told.

As for the Bora Bora resort, it was at one time *THE* resort of the island. But since major chains like Sheraton, St. Regis, Ritz, Intercontinental have built there this one has not kept up with the times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.