Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

U.S versus Cdn RTW Prices and Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

The rise in the Cdn$ in 2007 has created a big difference between U.S and Canadian prices for Star RTW tickets.

According to the last worldwide price comparison I downloaded from this forum a 34,000 mile CSTAR is $9,013 in the U.S. and Cdn$12,126 in Canada. Since the currencies are virtually at par that's a huge price difference.

In planning a C class RTW later this year, can I buy a U.S.$ priced RTW in Canada? Can I buy it in U.S$? Can I buy it for an itinerary starting in Canada or must the itinerary start in the U.S.? Or if I want U.S.$ prices must I buy it from a travel agent in the U.S.?

I'd appreciate advise from RTW experienced BMs on this or if its already been address the link would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:30 am

If you start in Canada you pay at least the Canadian price, where ever you buy. The rule is simple, if you buy in another country than the one where you start your itinerary you always pay the higher price of the two countries in question.

Originally Posted by jimmac
The rise in the Cdn$ in 2007 has created a big difference between U.S and Canadian prices for Star RTW tickets.

According to the last worldwide price comparison I downloaded from this forum a 34,000 mile CSTAR is $9,013 in the U.S. and Cdn$12,126 in Canada. Since the currencies are virtually at par that's a huge price difference.

In planning a C class RTW later this year, can I buy a U.S.$ priced RTW in Canada? Can I buy it in U.S$? Can I buy it for an itinerary starting in Canada or must the itinerary start in the U.S.? Or if I want U.S.$ prices must I buy it from a travel agent in the U.S.?

I'd appreciate advise from RTW experienced BMs on this or if its already been address the link would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"if you buy in another country than the one where you start your itinerary you always pay the higher price of the two countries in question.'

Not so fast--Canada is an exception to this rule (unless they recently changed this)- see bold face below.

"15. Sales Restrictions
D. When travel originates in one country and the ticket is sold in another country the fare will be that applicable from the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the Bankers Selling Rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than the lowest applicable Star Alliance RTW fare from the country of sale. Where no Special Economy RTW fare (YRWSPCL) exists apply the lowest applicable Star Alliance RTW fare (RWSTAR1/2/3). Exception: not applicable for sales made and/or travel originating in Canada."
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Having said that, if you want the cheapest price, you buy it starting from the country that offers the cheapest price, e.g. Australia. Of course you need to get to that country somehow so it may not be any cheaper (but you will earn more points with the added trip to the originating country). Getting to the US from Canada is fairly cheap, time efficient etc. so you could buy a US start RTW at US prices in Canada.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The Canadian exemption is still alive and kicking ! I will start an ex-ARN CRWSTAR1 in two weeks time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.