Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

first experience with Shanghai Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I had my first experience with Shanghai Airlines, booking a flight from SHA to HND. After calling the 24 hour reservation line in China, the reservation agent informed me that I would have to go to the office to complete the purchase. The agent's English was very good and I did not have to repeat anything to her.

At the Shanghai Airlines' ticket office, the agent scrambled to find the one English speaking member of their staff. Her English was good as well. Booking the ticket took longer than expected. When I presented my UA Mileage Plus card asking for it to be added to my ticket, they got confused. The agent tried to get me to sign up for the Shanghai Airlines frequent flier program. I explained that I wanted the mileage credited to this account. They made a few phone calls and seemed to have added it alright. I'll keep an eye out to see if it posts.

I fly out this Saturday, I'll follow up with a trip report. So far my experience with this Star Alliance member has been OK. They are an average Chinese airline, but not up to the same level as an ANA or Singapore Air.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I don't even know what their routes are !
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
And why don't you just go to their website and find it out?

http://www.shanghai-air.com/PublicInfo-en/SMAP.aspx
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by wee_willy
They are an average Chinese airline, but not up to the same level as an ANA or Singapore Air.
And they never will be. They are a regional airline serving the domestic market plus a few regional international routes. As a local and of the line carrier they are in a different market than the other Star Alliance heavyweights.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And they never will be. They are a regional airline serving the domestic market plus a few regional international routes. As a local and of the line carrier they are in a different market than the other Star Alliance heavyweights.
I second that. With the delivery of 9 B787's and possible order of A330, FM do not want to be just a regional airline. Several Europe and US routes are in the works. I would love to see them fly to VIE after OS Shanghai exit.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I fly out this Saturday, I'll follow up with a trip report. So far my experience with this Star Alliance member has been OK. They are an average Chinese airline, but not up to the same level as an ANA or Singapore Air.
Duh, of course they are not up to the same level as ANA or SQ! You're comparing an airline that's been barely 20 years in business with a couple that have been around for almost 60 or so years each?

I think all things considered even an "average" chinese airline's domestic service is on par, if not better, with/than your home career, UA's domestic service.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
Duh, of course they are not up to the same level as ANA or SQ! You're comparing an airline that's been barely 20 years in business with a couple that have been around for almost 60 or so years each?

I think all things considered even an "average" chinese airline's domestic service is on par, if not better, with/than your home career, UA's domestic service.
Yes, I didn't expect them to be SQ or NH, the comparison was bad. However, I disagree that an airline's age has anything to due with quality of service. Virgin Atlantic was founded in the mid-80's.

UA and Shanghai Airlines do share on thing in common, their websites are both pretty bad.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Here's a route map. http://www.shanghai-air.com/PublicInfo-en/SMAP.aspx

As was mentioned earlier, they fly mostly domestically with some international flights around eastern Asia (Japan, Korea, Vietnam...). They fly a very convenient route from SHA to HND. This way you don't have to travel to PVG and NRT (both an hour outside the city) to fly from Shanghai to Tokyo.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:59 pm

Here's a route map. http://www.shanghai-air.com/PublicInfo-en/SMAP.aspx

As was mentioned earlier, they fly mostly domestically with some international flights around eastern Asia (Japan, Korea, Vietnam...). They fly a very convenient route from SHA to HND. This way you don't have to travel to PVG and NRT (both an hour outside the city) to fly from Shanghai to Tokyo.
Both are at LEAST an hour outside the Shanghai and Tokyo. Unless you take the Maglev but then that still doesn't bring you quite in to Shanghai.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Yes, I didn't expect them to be SQ or NH, the comparison was bad. However, I disagree that an airline's age has anything to due with quality of service. Virgin Atlantic was founded in the mid-80's.

UA and Shanghai Airlines do share on thing in common, their websites are both pretty bad.
humm come to think of it you do have a good point! EK is another example of a good young airline... I think the reason Virgin and EK are so good in so short of a time is because of the experienced people they hired to run the business so at the end of the day experience does count but these days you can just simple buy that experience I guess
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Wow, that was a good laugh... I realize UA has some issues but I've been on a fair number of flights with Chinese airlines and none of them are as good as United.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
60 years? LOL!

Singapore, the country, is just over 40+ years old. SQ is younger than that.

ANA was set up in the 1950s.

Also, what's age got to do with anything about airlines? Emirate or jetway has short history, but are pretty good airlines.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Singapore, the country, is just over 40+ years old. SQ is younger than that.
From SQs page: "From a single plane to an internationally respected brand, almost 60 years of innovation and service has propelled the growth of Singapore Airlines to become one of the world's leading carriers with an advanced fleet."

F.R.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
From SQs page: "From a single plane to an internationally respected brand, almost 60 years of innovation and service has propelled the growth of Singapore Airlines to become one of the world's leading carriers with an advanced fleet."

F.R.

I believe SQ (formerly Malayan Airways) came to existence before Singapore's independence.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jplus
I believe SQ (formerly Malayan Airways) came to existence before Singapore's independence.
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl

F.R.
Using the same fact, was it Malaysian Airlines that is 60 years old or Singapore is 60 years old?

MSA ceased operations in 1972, when political disagreements between Singapore and Malaysia resulted in the formation of two entities: Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines System.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.