Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

"Best" *A Business Class from NYC-Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Looking at redeeming some UA miles. Without concern for schedules, flight layovers, etc, which *A airline do you believe has the best on the ground or best in the air service/seats in business class flying from NYC-IST, ATH?

If one can point me to a generic thread concerning best *A business class for US to Europe that would also be appreciated!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
SQ Jfk-fra
Old Jun 23, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcmike
SQ Jfk-fra
Totally agree!^ If not, LH and LX are pretty good, although not great. Not sure about SK, but that's also an option as well.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
And I really responded to the title of your thread and didn't get into the nitty gritty, but I would stick by the SQ JFK-FRA, and then connect on LH to IST or ATH. I haven't tried Turkish's business class yet, and they aren't quite in *A yet, but it might be a consideration for IST later on if you didn't want to switch planes.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
My ranking would be:
1.) SQ
2.) LH
3.) LX
4.) SK
Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
My ranking would be:
1.) SQ
2.) LH
3.) LX
4.) SK
I can second that. Having said this, I found the SQ service to be very "sterile" lately. A trained smiles will make you trained offers and trained conversation. Flawless but cold.
With LH you risk getting some mediocre service but you also have a chance for someone who really cares.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

My ranking would be:
1.) SQ
2.) LH
3.) LX
4.) SK
Thanks all, thats what I presumed. I almost booked SK, as I was just curious about trying something different than LX and LH. In the end I will most likely ticket to LH, I have a nice itin on hold until I work out a few other details.

As an aside, I had tried TK in the past and wasnt all that impressed, at leas then the J seats were old cradle style and service was not up to the par of any of the carriers above.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Thanks all, thats what I presumed. I almost booked SK, as I was just curious about trying something different than LX and LH. In the end I will most likely ticket to LH, I have a nice itin on hold until I work out a few other details.

As an aside, I had tried TK in the past and wasnt all that impressed, at leas then the J seats were old cradle style and service was not up to the par of any of the carriers above.
Having not flew SK since introduction of new seats, but prior I would prefer them over LX, maybe not LH or SQ, but flew LX to Montreal and was not to impressed by quality onboard their A330. Think they have better seat & IFE on their 340s.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:09 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
My ranking would be:
1.) SQ
2.) LH
3.) LX
4.) SK
I would have tried to avoid FRA, so that would exclude SQ. LH with transfer in MUC could be nice. I rate SK C above LH C both intercontinental and definately intra Europe.

What about OS? Nice lounge in Vie, not sure about connection to IST.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:50 am

Ditto the vote for SQ to FRA.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
With LH you risk getting some mediocre service but you also have a chance for someone who really cares.
Agree on trend in tone on SQ, but seriously question the chances of LH service being "caring" in any way. Still prefer SQ.

Depending somewhat on departure airport, LH food has taken a nosedive since 9/11. SQ food is hands-down fresher, better prepared etc.

(I have more points with LH/miles&more than any other program, so far.)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chriscross
I would have tried to avoid FRA, so that would exclude SQ. LH with transfer in MUC could be nice. I rate SK C above LH C both intercontinental and definately intra Europe.

What about OS? Nice lounge in Vie, not sure about connection to IST.
I too would be interested to see how the new OS Business Class rates compared to LH and LX or even SQ on the JFK-FRA route.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

I got an op-up on SK going ORD-CPH last October, don't know if it was the new C seats. It was obviously much better than E on the way back, but from what I have seen SQ would be better. I'd venture to say that it is on par with LH, so you might give it a try. In E LH and SK are on par and compared to E+ on UA are very cramped.
On SK C is the highest class.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH Miles and more, DL Skymiles
Have you considered the all C flights run by Privatair for LH and LX?

LX goes from EWR to ZRH, not sure where the LX flights go, one I think to DUS.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for SQ. ^
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Outbound SQ for better ground service (but certainly not better in flight service from my European perspective) and inbound LH via MUC or LX via GVA. Ground service of SQ in FRA is nothing but a madhouse and both, GVA and MUC are good airports to connect (However, don't know whether Swiss takes you from GVA to IST)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.