Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

MS & ET for Star ? mixed messages from LH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....e=4%2F5%2F2007

Lufthansa will ..... we will introduce our new first class on time on our A340 fleet by 2009," Executive VP-Marketing and Sales Thierry Antinori told ATWOnline. ......Separately, Antinori said Star Alliance signed an MOU with both EgyptAir and Ethiopian Airlines for bilateral cooperation. "But that does not mean both carriers will be members of the alliance," he cautioned.

I know that ATW can be a bit hit and miss... but both MS and ET have been mentioned in the past as potential Star members ... your thoughts please ?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
your thoughts please ?
I'm wondering when LH will finally be done searching every jungle and desert for new *A partners...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I know that ATW can be a bit hit and miss... but both MS and ET have been mentioned in the past as potential Star members ... your thoughts please ?
ET would be good - I'm a bit cold at the idea of MS though.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH signed an agreement with ET for feeder services to their FRA-ADD service. MS has tight agreements with OS for a long time, and now with LH, feeding them pax into VIE and FRA.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I'm wondering when LH will finally be done searching every jungle and desert for new *A partners...
Yeah I hope they stop this in EU except maybe for VS. However at least ET, an Indian, South American and Australian carrier would be good.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
...well, I'd hope they'd look in the jungles of South America and the deserts of Australia
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like this was signed in Jan:

http://nazret.com/blog/index.php?tit...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA, SQ, AC
Talking star expansion

Star really needs to get moving on expansion - it is being left behind by some of the others, expecially Skyteam.

In Africa, they need ET and MS (though MS needs to improve punctuality and service). The new IC/AI merge airline in India would be of benefit to most Star Travelllers, expecially since AI has some important LHR based rights that STAR doesn't serve (eg to NYC), plus some interesting sidelines (BHX-YYZ).
ET has undergone route rationalisation in the last year or so and now connects with a variety of star hubs without random stopovers in FCO.

As for Central/South America, i think UA's recent tie-up with TACA Group signals its impending membership. Now that RG seems doomed with the GOL takeover, maybe someone should put the pressure on AR to join - not exactly a fantastic carrier, but will stop ONEWORLD's claim of being the best in South America (posted 31/1 - the day RG left)

Someone should also look at getting a Carribean Carrier (former BW for example) to sign on as a regional member.

And is everyone forgetting Russian - with BD's codeshare with UN taking off, and OS working with AirUnion (particularly Kras Air) these two are prime membership targets... and there is little overlap between the two.
On top of this, what about S7 joining to enhance services to the russian far east - an up and coming business market.

The only thing left would be a GULF carrier - Emirates would be fantastic but this is highly unlikely. QR seems a great option with its DOH base!!

Your ideas!!!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
http://nazret.com/blog/index.php?tit...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Europe's second-biggest airline, and African carrier Ethiopian Airlines agreed to sell seats on each other's flights to expand their networks.

The companies signed a so-called code-sharing agreement today at the sidelines of an aviation conference in Vancouver. The accord will take effect by mid-year, Lufthansa Chief Executive Officer Wolfgang Mayrhuber said.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:39 am
MMM

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
never,.. I hope.

i hope they never stop. MOre options the better ! If you don't like those airlines , just don't fly them.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
http://www.abtn.co.uk/TAM_could_be_t...lliance_member

TAM, the Brazilian airline which took over the Varig operation from Heathrow, has signed a memorandum of understanding with Lufthansa. Varig was a

Initially, Lufthansa and TAM are instituting codeshare flights on national and international routes. Additionally, they are pondering the possibility of optimising their flight schedules, pooling their frequent flyer programmes and offering mutual access at each other’s airport lounges.
EDITTED to add:
A harder look (since Search didn't find anything) shows me this has already been mentioned.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695514
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MMM
i hope they never stop. MOre options the better ! If you don't like those airlines , just don't fly them.
Well, I used to think like that but if it continues especially in Europe then there will not be competition and Star will start acting as a monopoly. We need to throw 1W and Scary Team a few bones here and there.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:51 am
MMM

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
true

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Well, I used to think like that but if it continues especially in Europe then there will not be competition and Star will start acting as a monopoly. We need to throw 1W and Scary Team a few bones here and there.

,..true,... but they also need to help themselves a bit.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by MMM
Yeah, right. So what are we supposed to do? Walk? Swim?

Everybody knows that new *A members mean more codeshares, hence a reduction of flights operated by the airlines we actually do like to fly. And it also means more *Gs flooding lounges and competing for awards on the carriers the new *Gs like, which usually are the carriers we like.

"More" isn't always better. Saying that is quite naive.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
LH along with Miles&More has interests in LX, LO, OS, OU, JP and even 30% of BD to mention just the StarAlliance Carriers.

SK has interests in JK, KF and 20% of BD,

so that, in my view only leaves 3.5 independent Star Carriers in Europe.
I worry more about the number of pies LH has it's fingers in and less about the StarAlliance network as a whole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.