Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

>£3000 for LHR-SYD in C? Really???!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

>£3000 for LHR-SYD in C? Really???!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by bmi Gold
Thanks all.

In the end - I think it cannot be done for under £3000 which is the absolute limit of my budget.

Seems I am going to have to fly EK. Y to DXB and then C from there. Bargain at £1200, but means bmi Gold becomes bmi Silver

Ho hum.
I take it it's too late to think about award availability from SIN-SYD? A few weeks ago, LH had a £1600 fare LHR-SIN in business, which coupled with an award trip in whatever class you could get would still come in under £2000, even with miles+cash (assuming you use DC miles) plus net you 28000 status miles which would be a big chunk towards requalifying for *G.

Not sure if that's still possible, though - the fares were difficult to find, and as I say, it was a few weeks ago. I'll have a look...

Actually, scratch that - LH fares now seem scary for those dates, although there is still SQ Y award availability SIN-SYD and vice versa.

Last edited by Avenarius; Nov 2, 2006 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bmi Gold
Seems I am going to have to fly EK. Y to DXB and then C from there. Bargain at £1200, but means bmi Gold becomes bmi Silver

Ho hum.

DISASTER! Now even that fare is gone.

I think it is going to have to be Y all the way. At least *A I suppose so will earn some miles, but Y for 24 hours each way!

Any tips for an op-up? Which airlines, which flights???!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I keep seeing availability on your dates on OS, LHR-VIE-KUL-SYD and v.v. for £2960.40 on ITA. Here is the fare info for when you ring up Austrian:

Code:
Fare (A1): 	OS LONSYD CR2OS5U fare (rules) 	£1675.00
Fare (A2): 	OS SYDLON JR2OS5U fare (rules) 	£1045.00
Tax: 	     Australian Passenger Movement Charge 	AUD 38.00
Tax: 	     United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge 	£13.00
Tax: 	     United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty 	£40.00
Tax: 	     Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge 	AUD 42.76
Tax: 	     Austrian Passenger Security Charge 	€16.00
Tax: 	     Austrian Passenger Service Charge 	€14.58
Tax: 	     OS YQ surcharge 	€200.00
Total for 1 adult passenger: 	£2960.40
Their new business seats are pretty nice I gather.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I keep seeing availability on your dates on OS, LHR-VIE-KUL-SYD and v.v. for £2960.40 on ITA. Here is the fare info for when you ring up Austrian:

Their new business seats are pretty nice I gather.
On the OPs dates, the OS flights are showing:

[KVS Availability Tool 2.5.0/Platinum - Apollo: ITN/US-TNT]
Code:
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
FRI  17 Nov 2006

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -------------------------------------------------- 
OS        458    LHR  06:15     VIE  09:35     32S  0    C9 D9 J9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 G9 V9 W9 S9 E9 K0 L0 T0 O0
 -> OS    1      VIE  10:50     SYD  16:55 +1  777  1    C0 D0 J0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 G4 V0 W0 S0
[KVS Availability Tool 2.5.0/Platinum - Apollo: ITN/US-TNT]
Code:
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
SUN  26 Nov 2006

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------- 
OS        2      SYD  18:40     VIE  06:10 +1  777  1    C0 D0 J0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 G1 V0 W0 S0
 -> OS    451    VIE  07:05 +1  LHR  08:40 +1  32S  0    C0 D0 J0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 G9 V0 W0 S0 E9 K9 L9 T0 O0
Maybe ITA is not updated?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:46 pm

I have found something hyper-complicated that goes LHR-IST-VIE-SIN-SYD-SIN-VIE-LHR on your dates. It comes to just over 2000GBP. If you are interested, post here - but it is quite long and there is an overnight in Istanbul.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:02 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Maybe ITA is not updated?
Sigh. I checked Amadeus and you're right. Bummer.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
I have found something hyper-complicated that goes LHR-IST-VIE-SIN-SYD-SIN-VIE-LHR on your dates. It comes to just over 2000GBP. If you are interested, post here - but it is quite long and there is an overnight in Istanbul.

Interested?! Would almost kill for that kind of thing - and I've never been to Istanbul!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The problem is not the outbound from London to European transit points but rather from those places TO asia and australia.

We're trying to find seat availabilty for 17-19NOV outbound only. Most airlines have ZERO availability in their higher fare buckets, C and (sometimes) D. OP is trying to look for discounted Business Class seats which are mainly in the fare bucket of J (and sometimes D)... and those are near impossible to even find.

SQ/LH/SK don't even have availability in their normal fare buckets of C and D on their main trunk routes from LHR, CDG, FRA, CPH onwards...

I looked through my mainframe CRS, Sabre, and trust me, I couldn't find any availability much in C class, hardly any in D, or J class. As OP could not deter from his main departure times ie evening of 17th Nov onwards and return by the 27th, there was not much choices to work with.

What is going on? Mass migration of something we don't know about?

One alternative was NZ via AKL but even then the takings were slim there.

There are some seats available in Y class.. but again, the slimmings are thin and beggars can't be choosy anymore.

Wonder why OP didn't use the services of a TA in London? Would have been a lot easier.

* And OS wants to pull out of Asia and Australia because they aren't making money ???

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 3, 2006 at 2:12 am
Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To bmi Gold

SQ has seats in economy class on 17th NOV at 615pm.

*SQ 319 F0 P0 A0 Z0 C0 J0 D0 S9 Y9*LHRSIN 1815 1455‡1 744 0
E6 B9 M9 W2 H7
*SQ 221 F0 P0 A0 Z0 C0 J0 D0 Y9 B9* SYD 2040 0715‡1 744 0
E6 M9 H7 W2 Q5

It's just all premium class availability on any airline, any route from Europe to Asia or Australia are sold out !
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:09 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What is going on? Mass migration of something we don't know about?
The ASHES.

The first test starts later this month.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:07 pm

Stupid married segment logic! It seems that if the OP was not travelling ex LHR, he could find C class seats on the VIE-SYD-VIE flights! However, the airline refuses to sell C seats to LHR-VIE-SYD vv passengers.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid married segment logic! It seems that if the OP was not travelling ex LHR, he could find C class seats on the VIE-SYD-VIE flights! However, the airline refuses to sell C seats to LHR-VIE-SYD vv passengers.
What married segment? You can't even book VIE to SYD (or MEL) as there is no space on any day from 17-22NOV. Doesn't matter where he originates from!

OS 1 C0 D0 Y9 B0 M0 H0 Q0 G0 S0 VIESYD 1050 1655‡1 772 1

But ...hold on, if OP is still interested...

JL has space on the evening of 17th via KIX to SYD. But he'd have to contact a UK agent to get special J class fares to SYD.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 3, 2006 at 5:23 pm
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:48 pm

What married segment? You can't even book VIE to SYD (or MEL) as there is no space on any day from 17-22NOV. Doesn't matter where he originates from!
OS1 was showing C1 for me this afternoon on 17-Nov (now it is showing C0. )The return was showing C1 for SYD-VIE and C0 for SYD-VIE-LHR. Now its showing C2 for SYD-VIE-LHR and C3 for SYD-VIE.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OS1 was showing C1 for me this afternoon on 17-Nov (now it is showing C0. )The return was showing C1 for SYD-VIE and C0 for SYD-VIE-LHR. Now its showing C2 for SYD-VIE-LHR and C3 for SYD-VIE.
Which was why I told OP to hire services of a travel agent. That agent will keep monitoring fares and availability and will grab last seat when one turns up. But I guess he prefers to do things himself and use FT, which in effect is nothing wrong, but by the time we tell him availability and stuff, that ONE last seat available can disappear in 10 seconds!

C'est la vie !
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:59 am

Which was why I told OP to hire services of a travel agent. That agent will keep monitoring fares and availability and will grab last seat when one turns up. But I guess he prefers to do things himself and use FT, which in effect is nothing wrong, but by the time we tell him availability and stuff, that ONE last seat available can disappear in 10 seconds!

C'est la vie !
I wish I could find a TA that did that Ioften email TAs itineraries that I want to be ticketed, but I often get an email back saying that it's full even though there are seats available in the respective class that I want.

I give them everything, from the GDS they should use, to the fare class. I even make sure that there are no POS issues but they seem to not be able to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.