Wiki Posts
Search

*A lounges at BRU and WAW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
*A lounges at BRU and WAW

Will be flying on LOT from BRU to WAW then ORD, got to love the long way to Chicago.

I see that Brussels has a SAS and BMI lounge ( I am *A Gold/ UA 1K) and some contract lounges. Thoughts on whats best?

Warsaw looks to only have one lounge so thats easy.

Also this is my frist Business flight on LOT any thoughts? I have read some reviees and feedback that city short hops are ok or actually good servece, while I have read bad reviews on long haul waw-ord type of flights.

I also see from time to time at ORD a LOT 767 with LOT body paint and markings but the tail fin is painted AIR ITALY....merger?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
The SAS lounge has slightly better food (cold meats, bread, vegetables and fresh fruit) but drinks (no spirits and beer on tap) are not as good as the bmi lounge. bmi lounge has only biscuits and nuts. There are internet PCs in the SAS lounge. SAS lounge is non-smoking whereas the bmi lounge has a smoking area.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there a Star Alliance lounge in Krakow? How's the lounge in WAW? or is it the airport-operated one?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there a Star Alliance lounge in Krakow? How's the lounge in WAW? or is it the airport-operated one?
There is one airport operated lounge in KRK which is used by all airlines for their gold card holders and business class passengers.
*G have access when flying e.g. LH, OS or LO internationally.
Keep in mind that the lounge can not be accessed if travelling on a domestic flight to WAW.

At WAW there are three *A lounge in the transit area.
They are all pretty much identical and most people (including me) probably wonder why they have as many as three lounges in that tiny terminal building.
I have only been to the Ballada lounge which is located on the very right after passport control, it's the only lounge with a view which is why I went there.
They all have lots to drink (incl soft drinks and lots of alcohol) but just snacks to eat.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UK flyer
The SAS lounge has slightly better food (cold meats, bread, vegetables and fresh fruit) but drinks (no spirits and beer on tap) are not as good as the bmi lounge. bmi lounge has only biscuits and nuts. There are internet PCs in the SAS lounge. SAS lounge is non-smoking whereas the bmi lounge has a smoking area.
Unfortunately, heading to WAW you won't have access to the SAS lounge. BRU has two completely separate concourses, A and B, with separate entrances to security.

Belgium is a member of the European common travel area, known as Schengen (after the small town in Luxembourg in which the treaty covering this issue was signed). Passengers flying to other countries in the Schengen zone do not need to go through immigration (though do need to show photo ID at check-in). Passengers flying to countries that have not signed up to the Schengen treaty (including the UK, Ireland and the more recent entrants to the EU, such as Poland) do need to go through Belgian exit immigration checks.

In order to keep things simple, flghts going to Schengen countries arrive and depart from Concourse A (no immigration or customs, on departure or arrival). Flights going to other countries use Concourse B (immigration and customs checks).

All the destinations served from BRU by SAS are signatories to the Schengen treaty, so SAS have their lounge in Concourse A (as do Lufthansa - their lounge is technically a contract lounge but they will admit *Gold members with Lufthansa boarding passes). You'll be heading to Concourse B , so you'll have to use the BMI lounge. It isn't bad at all (much quieter than the terminal, nice view of the apron, Belgian beers available, OK drinks selection). Main negative is a lack of food (there are nuts and cookies on offer and that's about it). There is wifi but you have to pay for it. Lounge staff are generally very nice.

After check-in you'll go through exit immigration into the shopping area. Do any shopping you need or want to do here, then head for the gate area and the security checkpoint. There are very few shops after the security check, and you can't easily get back into the shopping area, so this is the last proper chance to buy Belgian chocolate or other delicacies!

Once through security you'll see some airline desks off to your right and then a couple of elevators going up to the airline lounges (if you reach Gate B3 then you've gone past them). Once you get upstairs there are staff who will direct you to the BMI lounge.

Can't comment on LOT's long haul product, but on short haul Business Class is not bad at all. Enjoy!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jacob_m
There is one airport operated lounge in KRK which is used by all airlines for their gold card holders and business class passengers.
*G have access when flying e.g. LH, OS or LO internationally.
Keep in mind that the lounge can not be accessed if travelling on a domestic flight to WAW.

At WAW there are three *A lounge in the transit area.
They are all pretty much identical and most people (including me) probably wonder why they have as many as three lounges in that tiny terminal building.
I have only been to the Ballada lounge which is located on the very right after passport control, it's the only lounge with a view which is why I went there.
They all have lots to drink (incl soft drinks and lots of alcohol) but just snacks to eat.

an you access the *A lounge when departing on domestic flights from WAW?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by House
...the European common travel area, known as Schengen (after the small town in Luxembourg in which the treaty covering this issue was signed).
Almost. The Agreement was actually signed aboard a ship on the River Moselle, near Schengen.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
an you access the *A lounge when departing on domestic flights from WAW?
Not if you're flying domestically as the lounges are in the international transit area.
The domestic terminal does not have a lounge, actually it's embarassing even calling it a domestic terminal as it's only a large room really.

However if you're connecting in Warsaw from an international flight to a domestic flight you may be able to access the lounges in the international departure area after arrival.
I'm not sure if it works and they accept it, but it may be worth a try.
If you're travelling with checked luggage your luggage will be automatically transferred to your domestic flight (if through-checked of course) and customs clearance will take place at the final destination.
So there is no need to rush to the baggage reclaim anyway.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Lufty contract lounge is slightly better than bmi I think. At least there are computers there. You have to go through supermarket-style gates (turnstiles) before you can get in. Strange.

I find bmi lounges utterly boring. In order of lounge preference I'd say SK, LH then BD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.