Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Will United MP still be around in 2005/2006?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

we are in a bit of a quandary and hope that someone on Flyertalk will be kind enough to help.

Having always flown qantas, we are now flying *alliance around the world in Jan. We will fly just short of 25000 miles on the alliance.

Our aim is to use these pts for Fiji on a family holiday. Currently we have our United MP linked to our booking and thought that was a good move as they only require 20000pts for an award b/t SYD & NAN. However, we won't be able to take the Fiji trip until the end of 2005 at the earliest and possibly even well into 2006.

Should we look at earning pts with another airline instead? Maybe TG as they give a threshold bonus after 10000 pts of 3000pts. That will give us over 27500 pts and then we can purchase an extra 2500pts for US$50 to get us over the 30000 pts required for the Fiji award.

I know it's a bit of an awkward question so appreciate any replies and opinions.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
A lot of things can change by 2005/6...

For example, even if MP is still around, the SYD-NAN award may cost more than 20k miles..., and so on.

I guess what I am trying to say is that FFPs are in flux, both in terms of earning and redeeming points, even if the carriers themselves are on relatively solid ground.

Since you won't be doing your RTW until January, I would suggest you look at what the programs look like at that time and then make your decisions accordingly.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
In my amateur opinion, yes. UA will be alive and kicking through 2006. And your award booking would, in all probability, be honored even if UA kicks the bucket. 25,000 miles per person, to be frank, is not worth worrying about. Unless your family is very, very large.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cAAl
In my amateur opinion, yes. UA will be alive and kicking through 2006. And your award booking would, in all probability, be honored even if UA kicks the bucket. 25,000 miles per person, to be frank, is not worth worrying about. Unless your family is very, very large.
Well, we are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids. We'd prefer to go to Fiji via FF pts rather than paying for 6 tickets if possible.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Is your RTW in economy or a premium cabin. This may be a factor.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

It's in economy - H.

Our aim is to get the tickets to Fiji, we don't want status. Just concerned that we may not be able to get the award tickets and trying to hedge our bets as to which airline ff program will get us there.

I researched the different airlines and UA does what we require but the concern is that since the award dates are so far in advance, we should maybe deposit the miles somewhere else. I was hoping that Flytalkers, with their combined wisdom and possibly inside knowledge would know and advise.

25,000pts each will be 150,000pts all together so while it seems little, it's the fact that it could represent 6 free tickets for another family holiday for all six of us without having to purchase them with real dollars, which makes it valuable.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sydney; Oct 16, 2004 at 4:06 pm
Old Oct 16, 2004, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sydney
Our aim is to get the tickets to Fiji, we don't want status. Just concerned that we may not be able to get the award tickets and trying to hedge our bets as to which airline ff program will get us there.
Understood. And as you mentioned, you have initially chosen UA, as that will allow you to accomplish that (assuming you can get six award seats on the same flights).

...the concern is that since the award dates are so far in advance, we should maybe deposit the miles somewhere else...
Or as you noted in the OP, that UA may not be around at that time...

I was hoping that Flytalkers, with their combined wisdom and possibly inside knowledge would know and advise.
We do not know with any certainty that UA will be around into 2006. Likewise we do not know with any certainty that it will not be around... There is no inside knowledge about that...

It comes down to your risk tolerance (or aversity). My suggestion earlier was to take a look at things at about the time that you will start your trip. By then there may be clearer indication as to the future of UA, or changes may have been announced in the redemption level that favor one choice over the other... There may even be a third choice.

The only thing I would add at this time (knowing there's six of you), don't think of it as an all-or-nothing proposition.

You could really "hedge your bets" by having one parent and two kids credit to MP and the others to TG. This way you know that best case, you buy up miles for half the family; worst case, you buy up miles for half the family and revenue tickets for the other half (assuming redemption level stay at current levels, which I wouldn't bet on for 2006 travel).
Old Oct 16, 2004, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The chances of getting six award seats on the same flight seems slim to me. I think the best you could hope for would be to get two to four award seats and have to pay for the others.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I suspected there was no easy answer.

The idea of crediting half the tickets to one airline and the other half to another is quite brilliant. I hadn't thought of that and will go that route I think.

I will do as you suggest and see the status of the airlines and their programs in January.

I also acknowledge that the chances of getting six award tickets on the one flight is slim. That is why I rang UA a while ago and asked them. At that time the CSO looked up award tickets and said that she found a number of flights that had at least 6 award seats at the approximate time of year we would be travelling, in 2004. Having said that though, I still don't expect to all get on the same flight via that method.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and opinions.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
(assuming redemption level stay at current levels, which I wouldn't bet on for 2006 travel).
Yeah. Maybe they'll go down. Wouldn't that be a treat?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:19 am

Yeah. Maybe they'll go down. Wouldn't that be a treat?
It would be more than a treat. It would be a reversal of FFP history.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 8:42 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
The Australia to South Pacific award is one of my favourites, and a really is a good deal when travelling from Perth.
However, Virgin Blue now operate from Sydney to Nadi and round trip fares online are as low as AUD420.20 (approx USD300) round trip, plus tax.
You may want to keep this in mind when calculating the value of buying tickets compared to using your miles.

120,000 miles would also be worth a business class round trip ticket from Australia to Europe, which would have far greater value. (Although I do realise the miles would all be in different accounts.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.