Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

"Bmi bids for flights to India"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold

Saw this in TravelMole:

"Bmi plans flights to Mumbai and Bangalore after an agreement between the UK and Indian governments to allow extra flights between the two countries.

The airline wants to run a daily service to Mumbai and a six-times-a-week flights to Bangalore from next March. It would be bmi’s first long-haul services from London."

Full article at http://www.travelmole.com/news_detai...news_id=101817
Old Oct 7, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
BMI is dreaming ...

They are announcing an intention to match "plans" by VS and BA. Looks to be definite that there will be a hearing to determine route allocation, as the demand for routes is much higher than the increased frequency. Winter schedules are already underway, so I hope the process finishes quickly. VS started this nonsense of announcing routes without any approvals.

BMI has already clearly indicated that it does not have the equipment yet to tackle this route for winter as their planes are all allocated. They have the challenge of access to Heathrow for transatlantic and the related critical mass problems.

India is expected to be one of the fastest growing air markets in the world (pretty much neck to neck with China - which is currently much larger). The base is small but there has been massive growth within the star network to India. SQ is connecting a lot of unconnected dots (Amritsar, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, outside the usual metros Bombay, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, etc.). LH is flying daily to Bangalore starting Jan 2005 and has sought permission to fly FRA-HYD. IF BMI gets LON-HYD and LON-BLR routes, that will be a coup for Star.

I don't expect it though. They may get some limited frequency to BOM or DEL. I expect HYD or BLR to go to BA or VS which already have a presence in the BOM and DEL routes.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I believe AC will be doing the YYZ - BOM route as well, not sure if it s gonna be a direct one or via DEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.