Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Europe Airpass coupons- individual flights, or one-day segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Let us say (which is true) that I am going from Glasgow to Malaga in one day. It involves 3 flights. Does that mean I have to purchase one coupon, or three coupon? Is each coupon a flat rate, or related to distance flown?

Let us say, that I am going from Malaga to Frankfurt (I am thinking about this one). There are at least 2 options - Malaga-Munich-Frankfurt or Malaga-Madrid-Frankfurt. Would the rates of the European airpass coupons be identical, or not, for the 2 scenarios?
Old May 10, 2004, 12:54 pm
Suspended

The flight coupons are based on distance flown. That would be considered 1 coupon, even though you take 3 planes.

FYI if you checked out the t&c's on the star-alliance website you could easily find the answer to this question.

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html
Old May 10, 2004, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Thank you, for the answer.

PS-I had checked out the Star Alliance web site's FAQ on airpasses, and I did not find the answers to my question.

Another question: if a flight(s) using the coupon is cancelled, or a connecting flight(s) is (are) missed, so that the (involuntary) re-routing covers a longer distance that covered by the coupon(s), does one need to buy additional coupons. Conversely, if the re-routing covers a shorter distance that what was booked with the Airpass coupons, could one get a refund on the difference?
Old May 10, 2004, 3:13 pm

The above post was a little too cut and dried - it depends entirely on the flight being direct or not for that reply by MapleLeaf to be valid. While it is true that the EuroPass coupons are mileage based, they are mileage based per direct flight. If you require three flights with different flight numbers to get from A to B, then you need 3 coupons. You would pay the mileage base per coupon for the miles required on each individual segment.

If, however, it was one flight number from A to B with 3 intermediate transits, then 1 coupon is required with the total mileage between A and B being the one counted to determine the coupon needed.
It's the same principle as the NthAm airpass where a single flight number requires one coupon.

For your Malaga-Frankfurt scenario:
AGP-MAD = 267 mls EuroPass2 @ USD100.00
MAD-FRA = 883 mls EuroPass3 @ USD125.00
TOTAL USD 225.00

AGP-MUC = 1154 mls EuroPass4 @ USD150.00
MUC-FRA = 187 mls EuroPass2 @ USD100.00
TOTAL USD 250.00

The other options are
AGP-BCN = 476 mls EuroPass2 @ USD100.00
BCN-FRA = 679 mls EuroPass3 @ USD125.00

AGP-FRA = 1128 mls EuroPass4 @ USD150.00 (LH fly this nonstop).

Cheers/Regards.
Old May 11, 2004, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

We may go across the transatlantic on Air Canada's Aeroplan award tickets. Here is Aeroplan's answer about getting the airpass, with award tickets:

Unfortunately, the Star Alliance European Airpass cannot be sold in connection with bonus program tickets, Aeroplan rewards, other awards or industry discounted tickets. Should you require more details regarding eligible fares for this Airpass, please call the (blanked out, special SuperElite number). Your cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Aeroplan - Customer Service Representative
www.aeroplan.com
Old May 11, 2004, 6:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
We may go across the transatlantic on Air Canada's Aeroplan award tickets. Here is Aeroplan's answer about getting the airpass, with award tickets:

Unfortunately, the Star Alliance European Airpass cannot be sold in connection with bonus program tickets, Aeroplan rewards, other awards or industry discounted tickets. Should you require more details regarding eligible fares for this Airpass, please call the (blanked out, special SuperElite number). Your cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Aeroplan - Customer Service Representative
www.aeroplan.com

Anyways, rather than argue with a brick wall at Aeroplan, Just say thank you to them and keep quiet until your transatlantic ticket has been issued, AND you have a ticket number.
Once that happens contact LH/OS/BD/SK depending on the first operating carrier on your itinerary. (BD would probably be the best bet anyways IMO.) Tell them that you wish to purchase a European Airpass, in conjunction with international ticket number xxxxx which confirms you are coming into Europe on an intercontinental flight operated by a star carrier.
I'm pretty sure this would work.

Best of luck! Tell us how it goes.

Last edited by AJLondon; May 12, 2004 at 5:20 am Reason: removing incorrect info.
Old May 11, 2004, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It may be in the T&C that it must be in association with paid intercontinental flight on *A.

From www.staralliance.com

Each city may only be visited once, except for change of flights only
This Airpass is available only to residents of countries outside Europe
It is sold only in conjunction with travel to/from Europe from/to outside Europe on services of Star Alliance carriers
Only one Airpass can be purchased in conjunction with each intercontinental ticket to/from Europe
Certain restrictions apply regarding the type of ticket used for the intercontinental flight to/from Europe
Some other minor restrictions may apply. Please consult with any Star Alliance member reservation office or your travel agent
(emphasis is mine)
Old May 12, 2004, 3:37 am
Patron

Fare is not applicable in connection with award tickets

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Well, that is not official policy AFAIK.
Ticket conditions are crystal clear:
Fare may only be sold in conjunction with restricted First / Business & Economy class carrier fare and Star Alliance First / Business & Economy class RTW fares from points outside Europe to / from points in Europe.
Not applicable in connection with bonus program, other award, ID or free tickets.

Old May 12, 2004, 5:19 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Patron
Ticket conditions are crystal clear:
Oops, sorry about that. I'll edit the incorrect info in the post.

The reason, I mentioned the process described earlier was because a friend recently (two months ago) got the European Airpass issued thru BD using the process I described. He was travelling on a SK award from BKK.
Old May 12, 2004, 5:45 am
Patron

Originally Posted by AJLondon
The reason, I mentioned the process described earlier was because a friend recently (two months ago) got the European Airpass issued thru BD using the process I described. He was travelling on a SK award from BKK.
I feel pretty confident that this was not the only European AP sold that way...

Old May 12, 2004, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you absolutely, definitely want to fly *A between GLA and AGP, have you considered alternatives?

AGP is primarily a leisure market and just about every low cost UK operator flies from various points in the UK to AGP, which means that fares can be very competitive. There are even a couple of LCCs operating direct flights from GLA to AGP, Globespan and Air Scotland, although I do not know much about either). Otherwise, Easyjet, among others, can fly you GLA to STN and STN to AGP (do factor in substantial gap between flights in flying with European LoCos as they are strictly point-to-point)

Spain is not terribly well served from the UK by *A. Even if you do not want the LCCs, BA has very competitive fares out of LON. So you could get a very cheap BD flight from GLA to LHR and a cheap BA flight from LHR to AGP on GB Airways.
Old May 13, 2004, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
do you want to finish in FRA or Glasgow?
expedia is pretty good in giving decent fares for multi city returns ie GLA-AGP , FRA-GLA is about £160
then buy the AGP-FRA for anoth £70

obviously most of these won't be on * but worth a look.
Old May 13, 2004, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

We will be coming from Canada (YOW, probably via YYZ or YUL) to Glasgow - one week at a timeshare near Glasgow, then Glasgow to Malaga, one week at a timeshare near Malaga, then Malaga, to Canada (YOW, probably via YYZ or YUL).

No problems booking the transatlantic portions of the routing. The problems that I am still trying to deal with include booking GLA to AGP segments, and AGP to appropriate European departure city to Canada (whereby one can travel to AGP to YOW, all in one day - therefore, the possible cities include Munich or Frankfurt).

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; May 13, 2004 at 9:36 pm
Old May 14, 2004, 3:49 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
just wondering have you been to Glasgii?
Old May 14, 2004, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may also want to have a look at Spanair (JK) route network. Spanair (and BMI) have cheap one way fare that might ultimately work out cheaper than an air pass.
If MAD is a suitable return point, JK fly AGP-MAD. If not, you can fly from MAD to LHR on BD.
In theory, JK and BD has a one-way through fare from AGP to LHR for 60 Euros + tax, but you will need to search quite a bit to find availability. The next fare up (at 86 Euros + tax) might be easier.
In the other direction, however, the only daily BD LHR-MAD flight leaves too early to allow for a connection from GLA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.