Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

How do connecting flights work and how much time do I need?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Hello! I am looking for help because I am not well versed in this topic (I have never flown alone before)
I am searching for a return flight from Vienna to Lisbon (or multi-city based on the price) from the end of June till beginning of the August- haven't booked one yet due to certain things.
I found a flight through Swiss Air Lines which is from Vienna to Lisbon with 1 hour stop in Geneva. If the airbus number is the same and it's operated by the Swiss, does it mean it's the same flight?
And if the return flight is operated by Tap Air Portugal with 1 hour stop in Frankfurt International and the connecting flight is operated by Austrian Airlines, is the time enough to switch planes?
For both flights I will have checked baggage. If I buy both flights from swiss.com, will they pass the checked baggage between them without my need to pick it and re-check again?
Anyone who can clarify how this work for me? Is it too much for a first time? 😅
Thanks a lot 🙏
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:31 am

A few basics which hopefully will help with some of your questions:
- If the airplane type is the same it does not mean that it will be the same plane. More likely you will get different planes to/from GVA (Geneva).
- If you buy such a connection in one transaction (one ticket) then your luggage will be checked thru, so no need to pick the luggage up in GVA. Just check the tag on your bag: It should show LIS.
- 1 hour in FRA(nkfurt) is doable, but a bit short for my taste. If you miss your connecting flight they will rebook you to a later flight (with open seats). Your luggage will also make it to VIE(nna), but not necessarily on the same flight as you.
Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.