Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Tips for booking London to Phuket Dec. 2022 including use of Amex Rewards points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for booking London to Phuket Dec. 2022 including use of Amex Rewards points.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on FT but hoping you can help - I've searched through the forum and this thread in particular and couldn't find an answer. My wife and I are looking to travel from London to HKT in December for a wedding. I haven't got status or miles with any SA airline, but I do have ~180k Amex MR points - is there a particular airline, reward scheme or route we should be looking at to make best use of these miles for either a reward flight or upgrade and hopefully avoid having to make the trip there and back in economy?

(I'm aware of the current COVID restrictions within Thailand and even though optimistically I think the situation will be different in 11 months' time, sticking to no domestic Thai transfers makes sense!)

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
*A probably isn't the correct forum.

UK Amex MR points only convert to SAS, which isn't going to be a very good way of booking award flights to HKT on *A airlines.

You probably want Oneworld - Finnair, Qatar (probably booked via AsiaMiles) - Emirates or Etihad...

Also keep an eye on fare deals. It would be a waste of miles, if somebody offers a £1k Business Class fare (or a 2-4-1) between now and then...
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Agree with what Craig says. You could also add SIN for the LH sector as an alternative to going directly into HKT.

Keep monitoring the link here to see what pops up. I've added the usual lowest departure points in EU to cover the options

Amsterdam and 4 more to Phuket and 1 more | Google Flights
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. Originally posted this directly in the Thai Airways forum and it got moved here! Before posting I had looked with Finnair (no business availability more than 60 days out) and Qatar (given departure date is 1 day before the WC final, not much luck!) but will keep an eye on other ex-EU departures and any particular cash deals. I have seen some great ones pop up when I've been browsing in the past!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
TG are currently operating LHR-HKT several times a week, I don't know how long it will continue but the fares seem reasonable.

On the basis that unless you use that flight, you will have to transfer somewhere, my sister has just transited BKK on route to CNX and she said it was extremely well organised and stress free. Equally she said it was way better than her experience of a transfer at HEL which seems to be delivering daily delays at the moment of significant lengths.

The other *A option that hasn't been mentioned thus far is TK who are operating IST-HKT directly next winter. Fares are usually pretty good and service above average and IST is now a good transfer point.

Of course, it could be all way different in eleven months.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
TG are currently operating LHR-HKT several times a week, I don't know how long it will continue but the fares seem reasonable.

On the basis that unless you use that flight, you will have to transfer somewhere, my sister has just transited BKK on route to CNX and she said it was extremely well organised and stress free. Equally she said it was way better than her experience of a transfer at HEL which seems to be delivering daily delays at the moment of significant lengths.

The other *A option that hasn't been mentioned thus far is TK who are operating IST-HKT directly next winter. Fares are usually pretty good and service above average and IST is now a good transfer point.

Of course, it could be all way different in eleven months.

Good luck.
Interesting insight on the transfer - I understood internal transfers in Thailand weren't allowed, apparently I need to do better research!

It's looking like the direct TG LHR-HKT route will be the likely option - have you heard anything to indicate that route might not be around in 11 months?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by wadewadewade
Interesting insight on the transfer - I understood internal transfers in Thailand weren't allowed, apparently I need to do better research!

It's looking like the direct TG LHR-HKT route will be the likely option - have you heard anything to indicate that route might not be around in 11 months?
I think there are specific closed routes (flights) for transfer but best to double check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.