Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A RTW - No J fares SYD -> FRA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

I might have to do two back-to-back conferences in June and a RTW ticket would be the best way to book my flights.

I've been exploring my options using the *A RTW site and have no issues with the first two legs.

However for the third leg, SYD -> FRA, it never offers any J fares. It doesn't even offer PE. Instead all you get is a dozen different ways to fly SQ Y, either one stop or two.

Surely there should be some J availability across SQ / TG / OZ / NH ?!?

Any tricks to surface good results? Or is there another site that handles *A RTW bookings that I could explore with?

Last edited by supine; Dec 18, 2019 at 5:15 am Reason: I wrote TK when I meant TG
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by supine
I might have to do two back-to-back conferences in June and a RTW ticket would be the best way to book my flights.

I've been exploring my options using the *A RTW site and have no issues with the first two legs.

However for the third leg, SYD -> FRA, it never offers any J fares. It doesn't even offer PE. Instead all you get is a dozen different ways to fly SQ Y, either one stop or two.

Surely there should be some J availability across SQ / TK / OZ / NH ?!?

Any tricks to surface good results? Or is there another site that handles *A RTW bookings that I could explore with?
Which type of ticket are you looking at? The regular Star RTW - see here: https://www.staralliance.com/en/tnc-rtw

You just need to find space in the booking class for the RTW. You could use any combination of Star airlines for this and connect almost anywhere in Asia.
Let me suggest to tell us which kind of fare you are trying to use and the travel date I am sure somebody here will help finding a flight.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Which type of ticket are you looking at? The regular Star RTW - see here: https://www.staralliance.com/en/tnc-rtw
Yes, I mentioned that I was using the *A RTW site I.E. https://roundtheworld.staralliance.com

Put in the stops and dates and the search results for "business" show only Y fares between SYD and FRA.

This is 19th June but I've been checked a day earlier and iterating through later dates and not seeing anything different.

You just need to find space in the booking class for the RTW. You could use any combination of Star airlines for this and connect almost anywhere in Asia.
Let me suggest to tell us which kind of fare you are trying to use and the travel date I am sure somebody here will help finding a flight.
What do you mean "just need to find space"?

I'm not getting good results from their booking engine, hence my question about any tricks or alternative sites to book through.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:42 am

Surely there should be some J availability across SQ / TK / OZ / NH ?!?

I found a workaround for you. I found flights from SYD-FRA on 6/19 but you have to input flight segments. Instead of SYD-FRA, you input SYD- SIN on 6/19 and SIN-FRA on 6/19. Or you can go SYD-BKK, then BKK-FRA on 6-19. Did not find any flights to FRA from HKG, PEK, PVG, ICN or TYO on 6/19.

Hope this helps! Safe Travels!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northsideguy
I found a workaround for you. I found flights from SYD-FRA on 6/19 but you have to input flight segments. Instead of SYD-FRA, you input SYD- SIN on 6/19 and SIN-FRA on 6/19. Or you can go SYD-BKK, then BKK-FRA on 6-19. Did not find any flights to FRA from HKG, PEK, PVG, ICN or TYO on 6/19.
Ooooooh, nice hack. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:28 am

[QUOTE=supine;31852105]Ooooooh, nice hack. Thanks for pointing that out.[/QUOTE

I would choose the SIN connection as the BKK connection is on the old Thai 747 J class.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

I would choose the SIN connection as the BKK connection is on the old Thai 747 J class.
True, but it seems SQ applies surcharges that TG doesn't 🤔
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I would say SQ is not worth the surcharges they levy, they are still living in the past and trading on glory. They are no better than anyone else these days.

FWIW I've also had a problem trying to do SYD-YVR with the same result both on AC and NZ and I can't find another work around because I've already been to Asia.

I gave up and booked oneworld and got SYD-HKG-YVR on CX.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:24 am

You could also try NRT and HND for flights with ANA and then on with ANA,or LH
Try ICN for Asiana
You could also try PEK for Air China (but PEK is not really an ideal airport for connecting unless you want to do some sightseeing there, no visa for up to 144 hours for many nationalities).
You should avoid the TG747 (777 and 380 is ok, but TG is known for aircraft swaps). I also assume you are not adventurous enough to try Air India,
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I mentioned that I was using the *A RTW site I.E. https://roundtheworld.staralliance.com
This is a task for a real living breathing walking travel agent.
Not an online travel agent (OTA=computer program)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I also assume you are not adventurous masochistic enough to try Air India,
There, I fixed it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.