Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Points based on ticket issuing airline or operating airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, TK Classic+

I would appreciate any help with the following question.

I wish to earn points to my Turkish Miles & Smiles account when flying with Star Alliance. Are the points earned based on the issuing ticket airline / ticket number (e.g. Air China) or the operating airline (e.g Lufthansa). A ticket issued from Air China e.g. PEK ->MUC (flying with Air China in Business -R) followed by MUC->FCO (flying with Lufthansa in Business -P).

If the MUC->FCO is considered a Lufthansa flight for earning points I earn zero points. If it is considered an Air China flight (LH code shared) I would get double (which seems unrealistic).

Many thanks in advance for any information.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Miles are determined by the operating carrier. I think TK earns 125% on Air China class R but nothing with Lufthansa P.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, TK Classic+
Many thanks for your answer, very much appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Star Alliance is always based on the operating carrier and their underlying fare class. On a codeshare flight these may or may not be mapped to the same fare class as the marketing carrier. In the case of the big JV partners, they are usually the same (UA, AC, LH, LX, OS, NH) but many of the other *A airlines have quite different fare class structures and therefore may not map to the code on the operating carrier you might expect. Fortunately in your case, the flight in question is fairly short and you don't lose out on much.

The reason you are seeing CA P as 200% on TK Miles and Smiles is that it used to be the code for Deluxe First Class, however it's been changed and is now a code for Deep Discount Economy. TK updated their earning chart for flights as of June 1st, so CA P is no longer 200% to M&S.

Worth note, this is specific to Star Alliance, not all alliances work the same in terms of code share flights, OneWorld for example credits based on the marketing carrier code.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Star Alliance is always based on the operating carrier and their underlying fare class.
Yes.... but that's not the whole story. On United, RDM earning is based both on operating carrier and ticket stock. Each carrier has two earning tables - one for 016 tickets, and one for non-016.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Star Alliance = Operating Carrier.

The only exception is if you use United MileagePlus as your FFP, if you book on a 016 stock ticket you will earn based on ticket price not fare code.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:10 am

Mapping Marketing Carrier to Operating Carrier booking class

Hey, hope no one minds me hopping on this thread. But is there any reliable way to check the operating carrier’s fare class during booking ?

I’ve come across an LH marketed, SQ operated flight, which price and timing wise suits me. However my only problem is that the fare class shown on the LH booking page doesn’t seem to register as a recognised fare class amongst SQ’s fare classes. Worried that it earns 0 points as a result.

my FFP is OZ if that helps. Thanks in advance
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:08 pm

This has come up several times in many A*-related threads, and the answer is a simple "NO"!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by MingFlyerTalk2019
Hey, hope no one minds me hopping on this thread. But is there any reliable way to check the operating carrier’s fare class during booking ?

I’ve come across an LH marketed, SQ operated flight, which price and timing wise suits me. However my only problem is that the fare class shown on the LH booking page doesn’t seem to register as a recognised fare class amongst SQ’s fare classes. Worried that it earns 0 points as a result.

my FFP is OZ if that helps. Thanks in advance

Some hints are here: MM Codeshare accrual class table (very incomplete)
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If you are looking at a cheap Economy fare it is very likely that it will be a non-earning SQ booking class, i.e. no miles/points
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You should book *A codeshares with the expectation of receiving 0 miles, with anything else being a pleasant surprise. Especially when the codeshare is pricing well below the operating carrier's fare.
Offthegrid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.