Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A Bucket List: SAA Fifth Freedom Routes?

*A Bucket List: SAA Fifth Freedom Routes?

Old Jun 11, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Question *A Bucket List: SAA Fifth Freedom Routes?

South African Airlines is the only & last of the *A carriers that I haven't yet flown, but I can't find the time (or money) to travel to JNB/CPT anytime soon, preventing me from checking it off my bucket-list. Therefore, I'm considering a run from IAD-DSS over a weekend (depart IAD on Friday, land on Saturday, and return on Sunday), however, I'm not seeing a lot of award availability and prices for 3Q19 are running >$1500 USD for the round-trip.

Are there any other SAA routes that I might consider instead of IAD-DSS? Any other suggestions? I guess I can always just wait for them to go bankrupt and shut down, but that feels a little too Machiavellian.

I'm based in California, but travel to Asia and Europe quite frequently, and would love to be made aware of a SAA flight from HKG-TYO or ZRH-MAD.
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
The might have some intra-Africa but as far as farther afield international routes, I think you're onto the nearly the last remaining one and I wouldn't be too surprised if that one also went away in coming years after they upgrade the fleet to longer range planes. There is also the IAD-ACC route, but I doubt it's significantly different price wise or award availability-wise then the DSS route. SA is known to be a bit stingy on award space.
In Asia, HKG is their only remaining destination and I haven't heard of any immediate plans to push into other cities again. They codeshare onto NH and OZ for Japan and Korea.
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Visiting South Africa, particularly Cape Town, is one of life's greatest pleasures. Flying SA is decidedly not. So I think the OP has this completely the wrong way around.