Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Help! United Award on Avianca but can’t checkin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

We booked a biz award on United six months ago. MIA>GUY open UIO>MEX. The first legs were on Copa and all went just fine. We went to check in on Avianca for the UIO>MEX flights (scheduled for 5 am tomorrow) and discoverd that unbeknownst to us, Avianca has rebooked us on other flights of theirs. Not a huge deal though no one can explain why.

Anyway, because our ticket number is for the original flights, After spending literally 6 hours on the phone (first with AV, then UA and finally on a conference call with both) Avianca says we aren’t ticketed on the new ones and United has to do that. United says that there aren’t award seats available. Avianca’s solution was for United to “release” the tickets to them and they promise we will have new ticket numbers in 2-4 hours.

Wondering if any of you more savvy flyers have any suggestions on my next step should the promised reticketing not occur?

TIA
Clay
#StrandedInQuito
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Go early to the airport and let the AV staff deal with it. However, it complicates matter that these are award tickets, and often other carriers will refuse to touch such tickets and refer you to contact the issuing carrier (as I believe you have already found out).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
there was a schedule change which didn't come through. Yes, technically UA needs to re-ticket that. Sound be a no-brainer with AV putting the change into the system and UA ticketing it. Definitely expect issues at the airport
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
We booked a biz award on United six months ago. MIA>GUY open UIO>MEX. The first legs were on Copa and all went just fine.

We went to check in on Avianca for the UIO>MEX flights (scheduled for 5 am tomorrow) and discovered that unbeknownst to us, Avianca has rebooked us on other flights of theirs.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Go early to the airport and let the AV staff deal with it.
Post 1 was 8 days ago for a flight "tomorrow"
So the problem will have been solved.

Would be good if the OP returned to say what happened
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Post 1 was 8 days ago for a flight "tomorrow"
So the problem will have been solved.
Yeah, I only realised that after posting my reply - sorry.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Would be good if the OP returned to say what happened
Indeed, it would be very nice with a follow-up msg from OP about how this turned out. I expect it was solved since we haven't heard anything further.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Sorry. I thought I had subscriptions set to email me with any comments but apparently didn’t so I was unaware anyone had responded.

Around 9 pm before our 1:30 am wakeup call to get to the airport by 2:30 am, we received an auto email that we were ticketed and then were able to check in using the app.

So in the end it all all worked out but it was really stressful and ruined our last day in Ecuador. I’ve requested that 1/4 of the points be returned to us since the whole issue was a lack of communication between United and their partner. Received a rejection email today in which it was quite obvious that they had not read the request and the rationale for it. Going to keep trying.

Thanks dor uour replies and again my apologies for then delayed response!

Clay
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Update: Got an email from United today and they have deposited points equal to 1/4 of the amount of points we used for our award bookings into each of our accounts.

Happy with the outcome but hope no one else has to go through it!
Markie and zeer0 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
Update: Got an email from United today and they have deposited points equal to 1/4 of the amount of points we used for our award bookings into each of our accounts.

Happy with the outcome but hope no one else has to go through it!
Sounds like a fair outcome to me. Watch your award bookings closely next time, especially when booking on partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.