Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Comparing amenities across star alliance carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards

I wonder if there're any good sources to compare amenities offered on board. There used to be a time when you would know you would get a sandwich on board and a free drink but these days I find it increasingly different to know what to expect.
I probably won't fly with airline X instead of Y because a free can of coke but it's good to know when it would be better to buy a drink in the terminal upfront.

That's why I wonder if there's a website like seatguru that gives you a good idea about things like:
- Food available for purchase or free
- Drinks available for free (alcoholic or only soft drinks)

Thanks for some insight!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When flying any airline that I'm not overly familiar with in economy, I always buy a coke in the terminal and take with me. $1-2 is great insurance for airlines that don't do much in terms of service, or even airlines that only offer water and juice on shorter flights (OZ for example). If it's a flight to the US under current rules from Asia or Latin America, I make sure to well conceal the coke so it isn't found during the pre-boarding bag search.

If I'm flying a mainland Chinese airline then I will either eat in the terminal or buy some fast food to take on the plane with me as their food in economy has so far been universally inedible. Same applies for ET flights catered in China or HK.

Free vs paid alcohol varies a lot even within a single airline depending on the region of the flight. So far though the only *A airline I've seen with paid soft drinks in economy on even long haul routes is SK, but even SK is kind enough to give you a free one during meal times, just not mid-flight service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.