Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Interlining baggage across airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:28 pm
yrs
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP

I a sincerely apologize if this has been answered before, but I could not find the answer to my specific circumstance, I request your patience and indulgence in helping me find the answer to my problem.

1) My wife and I are traveling on an award ticket on DL from DCA to JFK in Y. We are connecting to another award on *A from JFK to SIN in J class. Is there anyway for us:
a) to interline the baggage to the destination (SIN) at DCA?
b) Get the international baggage allowance for the domestic segment, DCA-JFK, that would be allowed for JFK-SIN on BR?

2) My adult children will be travelling from IAH-TPE-SIN-BKK-HYD on J award tickets on BR. One of my children has to travel from DCA-IAH, alsoi on a Y award ticket, to begin the journey. Would this traveler be able to attach the domestic travel to the international travel to take advantage of baggage allowance (50 lbs domestic vs 70 lbs intl)? If so, how?

Please advise.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
DL might check your bags all the way through from DCA for you, but they are under no obligation to do so. But if they do, it'll be based on their baggage allowance, not BR business class. Even if you had a single ticket all the way to SIN, still from the US, the marketing carrier of the first segment determines your baggage allowance, so you still would be on the much lower DL one, but you'd at least have a free one as opposed to paying for it on a domestic itinerary.

I think your only real hope at getting C allowance bags for the whole trip is to keep checking if UA has DCA/IAD-NYC available (but of course they don't fly to JFK anymore), or look for NH/UA IAD-NRT instead of JFK-TPE.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
or just pay for the excess luggage on the initial domestic legs.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by yrs
I a sincerely apologize if this has been answered before, but I could not find the answer to my specific circumstance, I request your patience and indulgence in helping me find the answer to my problem.

1) My wife and I are traveling on an award ticket on DL from DCA to JFK in Y. We are connecting to another award on *A from JFK to SIN in J class. Is there anyway for us:
a) to interline the baggage to the destination (SIN) at DCA?
b) Get the international baggage allowance for the domestic segment, DCA-JFK, that would be allowed for JFK-SIN on BR?

2) My adult children will be travelling from IAH-TPE-SIN-BKK-HYD on J award tickets on BR. One of my children has to travel from DCA-IAH, alsoi on a Y award ticket, to begin the journey. Would this traveler be able to attach the domestic travel to the international travel to take advantage of baggage allowance (50 lbs domestic vs 70 lbs intl)? If so, how?

Please advise.
I have done this in reverse; I have Interlined UA Domestic to a DL International with no issues. Provided you are checked in for the connecting *A ticket when you present your bags at the DL Ticket Counter, DL will likely interline your bags to the connecting *A flight. However, your DL Domestic Baggage Allowance will NOT be increased based on your connecting *A Flight Allowance. If you are Medallion Gold, you may get an increased baggage allowance. If you Medallion Butkis, then you likely will pay for bags AND even more if they are over 50Lbs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.