Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by onlySIA
Any update on whether any of the lounges have Champagne in J? SQ used to but when I was there in August it was just (admittedly perfectly drinkable) sparkling - I think cava but maybe Prosecco.
UA serves champagne: I was there last Saturday and they had it at the bar (Rodier).

A friend tells me that AC also serves champagne but I haven’t been there recently.

I think UA is my favourite T2 lounge currently. It’s just a drag having to slog back to the A gates for the LH/LO departures.

I still think T3 is better, for the QF and CX lounges, but since BA moved their WAW service to T5 I’ve little reason to go there.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by yurtripper
UA serves champagne: I was there last Saturday and they had it at the bar (Rodier).

A friend tells me that AC also serves champagne but I haven’t been there recently.
Thanks... I flew out of LHR late December but didn't have time to go lounge-hopping, only about 20 minutes. SQ serving cava still (they used to serve Rodier).
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by DavidPF
Yanshuf - you said you planned to go through security in the morning, though your flight was not until the evening and judging by your later post, you were able to do exactly that - though your time in the lounge didn't work out quite to plan :-( May I ask how you were able to check-in and/or drop baggage that long before your flight?

We're usually rushing in at the last minute anyway, but on the couple of occasions when we have arrived at the airport very early, we've been unable to do baggage drop, let alone pass security, until three hours before departure.
They were flying LH which has hourly flights LHR - FRA and every 2 to 2.5 hours LHR - MUC, so check-in would be open from very early in the morning.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond Plus, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very good information in this thread. I visited each of the Star Lounges on Sunday. I found the United Lounge second only to Tokyo as the nicest lounge in the system. The lounge is large, open with nice decor. While the food is very good for United, it is still nothing special. I inquired at the front desk about the new Polaris Lounge and was told that executives from Chicago had recently visited for planning purposes.

The Air Canada Lounge has a nice layout and nice decor. Similar to other Air Canada lounges, the food was fairly basic. The sleeping couches looked very comfortable. The Singapore Lounge was the most disappointing. I've visited SilverKris lounges in San Francisco, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila, Taipei and Singapore. London is definitely below standards. The lounge looked like it needed a major renovation. The food quality was very poor. To make matters worse. The TV next to the bar had a football match on with the volume turned up to the point that one could hear it throughout the main lounge.

The Senator Lounge was definitely the best of the lot. The atmosphere and food were very good. While not Frankfurt or Munich, it was still very good. As others have noted, the walk from the A gates to the B gates is a fairly long distance so if one plans to visit both allow extra time.
unityofsaints likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Offthegrid
Very good information in this thread. I visited each of the Star Lounges on Sunday. I found the United Lounge second only to Tokyo as the nicest lounge in the system. The lounge is large, open with nice decor. While the food is very good for United, it is still nothing special. I inquired at the front desk about the new Polaris Lounge and was told that executives from Chicago had recently visited for planning purposes.
That’s interesting. I’d thought that UA wouldn’t bother with a Polaris lounge at LHR (I know a backtracking) primarily due to space. They’d have to give access to all long haul J pax flying other airlines and that means it'd have to be huge (at least as big as SFO if not bigger). That would mean either new real estate or a massive reduction of the United Club. And the UC is Polaris quality in many respects. I wonder if a hybrid of UC with the additional Polaris features (restaurant, beds) in a side lounge (old GFL/now VIP). It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

My rankings for the LHR Star lounges are -
  1. United Club - clear winner.
  2. Singapore SilverKris - a mixed bag of very good and poor, just slightly better than .....
  3. Air Canada Maple Leaf - very nice, incredibly nice, it’s niceness shines through. If you like nice lounges, this is for you. Just nothing really special.
  4. Lufthansa Business
  5. Lufthansa Senator

When quiet the Senator is very nice, but try it at 4-6pm on a weekday and it’s a zoo and virtually unusable. That’s why I give the Business lounge the edge because at least you can relax and check email.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Recently went through LHR a few times and I have to say the AC lounge has really grown on me. The food there is the best of the bunch, edging out the SEN lounge because there's more variety. UA lounge food was not good when I went through these times, especially hot buffet items. But the bar and showers are still excellent, so my set up now will be to eat at the AC lounge and then head over to the UA one after.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:30 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Does anyone happen to know when SQ lounge switches from breakfast to lunch? I beleive for UA it is 11:00am as last time I was there I had a 12:00pm flight and they had just switched over when I was heading out...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Ted
Does anyone happen to know when SQ lounge switches from breakfast to lunch? I beleive for UA it is 11:00am as last time I was there I had a 12:00pm flight and they had just switched over when I was heading out...
I think it's 10.30 which is while SQ317 is boarding. The offering is nothing special and doesn't get ramped up until mid afternoon when SQ passengers for their next flight start arriving. The others are definitely better for food in the middle of the day.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anybody been through T2 recently? I hear that the LH lounge is open, what is the food selection like?

Are either the AC or UA lounges or the Priority Pass one open?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Had a bunch of time today as I'm taking a late flight back to the US, so decided to do some hopping. Rating on 5 star scale relative to what's available for *G at LHR. For context, of the current clubs, I've only ever visited the United Club and United GFL (or GS/1K lounge after GF went away). I also didn't read any of this thread to see what pre-covid offerings and thoughts were, so I guess this will be some fresh takes.

While I wish I had good news on arrivals lounge, none of the agents at any of the clubs had an update on its reopening. Also for the UC, there's no plans to open the former GFL due to loads, but they said that could change with a weeks notice. Also, the giant hole is now mostly filled in, I can only assume they finally finished the UK version of the lizard people/Illuminati bunker at this point.

LH Senator - Breakfast offerings - 10a - 1045a - 4/5 *
Was welcomed in and given a QR code to scan for the senator lounge. I know I've done this exact thing before, but was dumb and tried to scan my boarding pass at the Senator lounge door for 2 min before I realized the QR code got me in. SMH. Typical LH outstation breakfast offerings, 7 or so hot options, cold cuts, fruit, alcohol was out (except spirits) but I didn't partake. Great tarmac views, clean and not too busy around 10a on a Monday. Wifi was lightning fast, plenty of different seating options (Biz lounge was much more at capacity, maybe 80%). It should come as NO surprise that the only real issue (as with anything LH related)... it was a million degrees in the lounge. Solid offerings, good place to work before flight, and beautiful club.

AC MLL - Lunch offerings - 1045a - 1130a - 3.5/5 *
Not as expansive as previous accounts. 4 hot options - mushroom soup, pasta, beef stew, and rice. Cold cuts, some limited salad items and breads. Laurent-Perrier champagne on offer, of which I gladly took a few refills. Furniture is showing its age, but practically empty, and I like their mood music playing in the lounge, though this was tough to hear over 3 families with kids running amuck and a guy taking web conference without earbuds. I'll say the bar service was fine, though not great (I asked if they could make a Negroni, though they insisted they didn't have the ingredients, they did). Wifi here is terrible, and blocked several different VPN protocols. Vax card was requested here (but not at LH), limited food offerings, but good champagne, wish other guests were more aware of themselves

SQ Busines/*G - Lunch offerings - 1130a - 1215p - 3.5/5 *
As mentioned before, the décor in this club is definitely dated (crazy to think the terminal is 10 years old already!). However, what the décor lacks, the service makes up for. Club was just switching to lunch when I got in, and while it's definitely not what many SQ clubs offered pre-covid, I think it's still reasonable. There's sandwiches, soup, fruit, cheese, and a salad (all prepackaged), and if you like, Nasi Lemak available to order as well. In addition the QR code menu showed the breakfast options available for order which were an English breakfast, bacon roll, and veg breakfast or noodles. I did have a few items from the buffet, but didn't get the Nasi Lemak, though it looked great when it came out for another guest. What stood out here is the polite insistence that I have a cocktail (or two). Because it's SQ, I had a Singapore Sling which was nicely made and tasted delicious. Other than that, wifi worked great, view of the pit is even better than the MLL, and it the lounge was very empty. I also like that they have United Polaris Lounge style private cubbies in which to work. Vax card requested. Great cocktails and wifi, but a lacking on the breadth and creativity of available buffet food.

UA Club - Lunch offerings - 1215p - 1245p - 4/5 *
My last stop before boarding my (equipment swapped 789 to fauxlaris) flight was the United Club. I do know this was always the most highly regarded United Club in the entire system, and I think it definitely still keeps that title. The breadth of the bar offerings is fantastic, with a proper bar tender who can make any cocktail. There's also a full cocktail list available that has some very creative items on it. This club was DECKED OUT for valentine's day! There were pink and red balloons and balls everywhere, they had a special dessert table featuring V Day cakes and cookies, the hot food was quite varied and delicious. It actually reminded me of a Polaris Lounge "lite". The agents were amazing and gracious in welcoming me, and everything was pretty clean and upkept. I do like the individual bathrooms here, and it's interesting to see that many of the elements of this lounge made their way into PL's. Wifi (as usual in UC's) was super fast, many different seating options, and great view of the former pit. I'm gonna give the edge to this club (which some may say is crazy) because of the bar selection, food offerings on par with the others, and probably the most gorgeous design of the 4 clubs. Though I will say it was the most crowded (as expected).
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I read somewhere that the SQ lounge requires a negative PCR test to get in - is this no longer the case? Passing through T2 on Friday and would love a Singapore Sling!
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
I read somewhere that the SQ lounge requires a negative PCR test to get in - is this no longer the case? Passing through T2 on Friday and would love a Singapore Sling!

They accepted either a vax cert or PCR result, I had both.
unityofsaints and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL

They accepted either a vax cert or PCR result, I had both.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:29 am

I used SQ SilverKris in December. Didn't need PCR. Yes, I had a Singapore Sling, some gin, and also the Nasi Lemak. Ordering is done via QR code and it may take a while. So quickly order once you get in.

EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I did a little tour on Friday and wanted to add my experiences, some of it might be helpful to others perhaps.

Air Canada Maple Leaf
My 1st stop at around 13:30 which was just before their current closing time (14:15). Covid vaccination certificates were carefully checked upon entrance.
No food was available anymore, due to my timing, but some nice Laurent-Perrier (La Cuvée Brut) was served at the bar in cute AC branded glasses. Said bar also had Carling on tap, which reminded me a little bit of my youth... Very spacious and airy feel, with modern furniture.

SQ SilverKris
Next up (and next door to AC MLL) for some lunch. I was not asked for my vax certificate or evidence of a negative test at the door (which surprised me a little). The food selection (to order through a QR code link) was good if you like Asian food, and I had a substantial, restaurant quality, lunch (Nasi Lemak with Chicken Sambal - delicious and delivered promptly). No champagne on offer, but a Singapore Sling from the manned bar did the trick.

United
This lounge was slightly busier, probably owing to various delays and cancellations on the day, but not overcrowded. Nice design which makes (most areas of the lounge) it feel more like a downtown bar. The bar was the best of all 5 lounges, with plenty of wines and cocktails on offer, and the champagne served was Rodier. Food looked good too, but more like the usual lounge fare. Downside were the bathrooms, which use a similar concept to the BA lounges which resulted in ridiculous queues. Did not even get to use them.

Lufthansa
Upon entry, a QR code for the Senator lounge was provided by a very friendly attendant. I was a bit surprised, as I had read somewhere that this was no longer done for (non-Lufthansa) Star-Gold card holders. Straight through to the Senator section to escape the crowds in the Business lounge...... or so I thought . The small Senator room was completely packed with people standing literally everywhere and sitting on top of each other. Pubs in Cologne during Carnival are quieter than that Senator lounge was at 4pm on a Friday.
To make matters worse, I spotted literally no difference between the food/drinks offering between Business/Senator (I thought to remember that in the past, the Senator bit used to at least serve a nicer Cremant whereas it was Prosecco in Business, but now it was (cheap) Prosecco in both). Interestingly though, they had BrewDog Punk IPA bottles (warm unfortunately) and BrewDog Lost Lager on tap to help yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.