Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Award booking with different airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

I would like expert advice before finalize my award booking:

If I book an award using United mile and fly with partner airline (ANA, Asiana, Singapore ) . My one way booking itinerary (with 3 stops over) as follow:

SFO - NRT ( By ANA ) 3.5 hrs waiting for connection flight
NRT - ICN ( By Asiana) 1.5 hrs waiting for connection flight
ICN -SIN (By Singapore) ( 3.5 hrs waiting for connection flight
SIN- DPS ( By Singapore)

Here is my question.

a) If one of the segment ( NRT - ICN) get delay and by the time I arrive in Incheon Airport, I can not make it to my connection flight (ICN - SIN) . What will happens to my flight onward .

b) Since my itinerary involves 2 multiple airline, who will responsible to reschedule me to the next flight from ICN- SIN and SIN -DPS. What is the best option for me to do if that happens. Am I on my own or the Asiana will responsible to reschedule me on their next flight to Singapore. Do I get to buy another one way ticket to get to Singapore myself

c) What about Singapore Airline. Will Singapore airline reschedule me to fly to DPS without I have to pay for another one way ticket from SIN- DPS.

d) Will me checked luggage being transferred to final destination ( DPS)

Up until now, I have never gotten an award ticket with multiple airlines. If anyone had flew with multiple airline in 1 single award itinerary, can you please share your inputs

Please advise and Thank you
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Since all the carriers involved are part of the Star Alliance, please follow the redirect to the Star Alliance forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Whichever carrier is responsible for the delay would be responsible for re-booking you
all the way to your final destination. That may involve re-scheduling your original itinerary,
or moving you to more direct flight options. If it is all on one ticket, then I would not
worry about it.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
FYI, your itinerary doesn't have "stopovers"; it has connections.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is nothing to worry about. It is a perfectly normal itinerary (admittedly 4 segments is a bit unusual) and when booked as a single ticket you will be taken care of in the unlikely event that you misconnect. The delayed carrier will rebook you to DPS. If you misconnect at ICN you approach Asiana for assistance.

Bags should get tagged all the way to DPS.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Whichever carrier is responsible for the delay would be responsible for re-booking you
all the way to your final destination. That may involve re-scheduling your original itinerary,
or moving you to more direct flight options. If it is all on one ticket, then I would not
worry about it.
Agree. Any path with 3 connections has a certain risk, but the three airports you are passing thru are pretty efficient. You will have to go thru security, but not thru immigration.
They will put you on different flights, worst case you arrive a day later. But usually they would even pay for your hotel in this situation. You would not have to pay for a new ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.