Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

E+ at check-in benefit on TAP for Silver status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E+ at check-in benefit on TAP for Silver status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up E+ at check-in benefit on TAP for Silver status

I flew a couple of segments on TAP, The Air Portugal, for the first time, as United Airlines Premier Silver, which gives Star Alliance Silver status.

I was surprised to learn that TAP gives the Economy Plus benefit at check-in for free for Silvers. Got it on both of my flights: first time through the gate agent and the second time through airport kiosk.

The only benefits I was expecting were Priority reservations waitlisting and Priority airport standby. I guess, there are more.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't be 100% certain of this being due to status. Could have just been at random (like E+ on UA given out for free if no other seats remain). Did they tell you it was because of your status? Star Alliance doesn't actually require any seating benefits for *S/*G members on partner airlines, although a few (SAS for example) go above and beyond for *G members. I've never heard such benefits for *S though.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

All I know is that prior to check-in I was offered those seats for money, and post check-in I got them for free.

I went to the GA, and said that I am flying TAP for the first time, and was not sure if I was eligible, for E+. The GA checked the computer said that an E+ seat was available, and asked if I wanted it. I said, sure, and got it.

On another flight at the kiosk in Lisbon, I just clicked the 'change seats' button, and was able to select an E+ seat, and was not asked to pay anything extra for it.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
UA many years ago used to do the same for *G members on check in, so did US when they were still part of *A. AA still does it for OW Sapphire (actually Ruby as well on check in, though Sapphire is in advance), so it's not unheard of.

I wasn't even award that TP had a Premium Economy section since they don't fly any routes I'd typically use, but good info to know.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TP E+ fares only allow you to select a seat in the preferred zone in regular Y. TAP doesn't have a separate E+ cabin/seating.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
TP opens up all seats to everyone at T-3, so status doesn't matter. *S is generally a pretty useless benefit.

P.S. TAP does not stand for "The Air Portugal". Rather it's Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.