Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

how much $ is a visit to a nice Star Alliance Gold lounge worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Access at SFO is worthless. The UC is so crowded you often have to wait for a seat and the food and drinks offering is lamentable. The restaurants in the G concourse aren't great but are a whole lot better and the gate areas are perfectly pleasant.
Yeah, most of the time the SFO UC is packed. Even if I manage to find a place to sit, there always seem to be two women near me who talk nonstop.(as if they are Joan Rivers and Goldie Hawn)

What other lounge options do UA Gold members have when flying UA int'l flight out of SFO?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght=SFO+lounge
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
What other lounge options do UA Gold members have when flying UA int'l flight out of SFO?
EVA ? Small lounge with minimal amenities, but decent Asian food. Haven't tried UA lounge so don't know which is better.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Access at SFO is worthless. The UC is so crowded you often have to wait for a seat and the food and drinks offering is lamentable. The restaurants in the G concourse aren't great but are a whole lot better and the gate areas are perfectly pleasant.
I don't know what's worse, the UA club in G or the eateries there. The SFO G terminal is in my humble opinion the worst international terminal of major US airports in terms of amenities. I cannot stand the design or the shops or the eateries or the lounges there.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Kacee
Some airlines still do this, especially if you're flying F (hello, TG and LH).

Most recent experience was at USM flying J on MI (SilkAir).
The experience I was referring to was more like 37 years ago.
Still happens flying LX J ex-DEL
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
How much is a gallon of water worth to you if you're in Death Valley and your AC just broke down?

How much is a gallon of water worth to you which you would use to water the plants in your office? How much is that gallon worth to your co-worker who doesn't like plants (and isn't short on drinking water, either)?

Value is highly subjective. The value depends on your individual tastes. It also depends on how much you have of the good (many frequent travellers will tell you that the food at your usual *G lounges gets old really quick).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fppmongo
How much is a gallon of water worth to you if you're in Death Valley and your AC just broke down?

How much is a gallon of water worth to you which you would use to water the plants in your office? How much is that gallon worth to your co-worker who doesn't like plants (and isn't short on drinking water, either)?

Value is highly subjective. The value depends on your individual tastes. It also depends on how much you have of the good (many frequent travellers will tell you that the food at your usual *G lounges gets old really quick).
True... My ex-mother-in-law's sister has a 11-bedroom house that she had built from scratch. It cost her about $150,000. She basically had the architect and contractor copy the design of a house in the Hamptons that cost over $8 million.(which was featured in some architecture magazine) She had everything copied, inside and out, down to the furniture, lights, bathroom fixtures, carpets, kitchen appliance, and even a half-Olympic-sized lagoon pool, after it was all done, it cost her less than $220k total. So the guy who had the house in the Hamptons paid an extra $7 million because of the location.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd pay $25 for a shower after a long-haul.
I paid about $30 for a shower and lunch at the Plaza Premium LHR arrivals lounge last year and considered that money well spent.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
I don't know what's worse, the UA club in G or the eateries there. The SFO G terminal is in my humble opinion the worst international terminal of major US airports in terms of amenities. I cannot stand the design or the shops or the eateries or the lounges there.
Seeing as how most US airports don't have "international terminals" that's a hard statement to back up. The food at SFO terminal G is very good when compared to certain terminals at airports like EWR, DFW and JFK. I think SFO is one of the best airports in the USA although that is not really saying much and up until TBIT re-opened at LAX I'd say SFO had the best "international" terminal in the USA. Try spending some time at JFK terminal 1 and let me know what you think about SFO :-)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Try spending some time at JFK terminal 1 and let me know what you think about SFO :-)
flying/driving to/from JFK and/or having to spend any amount time inside/near the airport or vicinity is cruel and unusual punishment.

then again... flying into out of EWR is no picnic, either.... and don't get me started about LGA.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Seeing as how most US airports don't have "international terminals" that's a hard statement to back up. The food at SFO terminal G is very good when compared to certain terminals at airports like EWR, DFW and JFK. I think SFO is one of the best airports in the USA although that is not really saying much and up until TBIT re-opened at LAX I'd say SFO had the best "international" terminal in the USA. Try spending some time at JFK terminal 1 and let me know what you think about SFO :-)
I prefer JFK to SFO in terms of amenities. LAX, ATL, and ORD are also preferable to me in terms of amenities. The only good thing about SFO's international terminal is that security lines are usually a lot shorter than at most other comparably sized terminals in the US. But that's about it.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
how much $ is a visit to a nice Star Alliance Gold lounge worth? (nice as in the good ones operated by SQ, NH, LX, etc... not the crappy UA ones)
The longer the visit the greater the value.
A drinker will get additional value compared to a tea totaler.
Some *A lounges have slumber rooms which can be very useful.

If you did not have *G how much money would you spend on a lounge visit? And how far would that same amount of money go if spent in the terminal venues?

SL
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:04 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
OS cancelled our VIE-MXP, so a 6 hr delay on the rebooking. The first agent said to go to the OS lounge, but we weren't given a lounge invitation. So, they wanted 35 euros. Doubt it was worth that. Second agent provided us the required 12 euros, each, F+B voucher.

Too bad they don't just hand you the EU compensation (250 euro each in this case.) Applied on the website.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It also depends on where in the world you are. For example, I don't mind paying 24 euros to enter SAS lounges (which are mediocre at best) simply because glass of wine would cost me 12 euros in some ARN bar. So it pays back after two drinks and I'll get fairly calm place to crash while waiting for the flight. Now, if I were in Bangkok for example, maths would be very different.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
To me it depends on how much you'd be willing to spend, which you've dismissed, but also how much you'd "save" by going in there.

When I hustle myself into a lounge for 15 minutes just to have a drink. It's $0 both ways. Because I probably wouldn't have bought that drink if I had just gone to the gate. Plus knowing it's short I would've spent $0 on an entry fee.

However, I've spent extended amounts of time in some lounges, I've booked certain itineraries partly because I knew "ok at least I can just sit in the lounge". I hate US airports for the most part, I refuse to pay for that scam BOINGO wifi. So at least going to a lounge usually gets me out of that.

This past week I knew I had a 12 hour connection at MEX, basically because AM has one flight a day to both where I was and where I was going, so spending $30 CAD on a lounge pass with unlimited booze and decent snacks, plus good wifi and the ability to not sit in the MEX terminal which is a disaster...this was a no brainer for me.

So it depends on if you're making lots of connections, if you NEED wifi, if you like to drink, if you wanna have some snacks...whatever right? It's gonna be different for each person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.