Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United or EVA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

United or EVA?

I am planning a trip to Japan Spring 2018 and would like some advice on selecting an airline. My return flight will be an award flight (United), but I am having a hard time selecting the departing airline. I narrowed it down to 2 choices:

1. United Airlines SFO to KIX 11:05AM – 3:00PM +1: 11h 55 min nonstop, economy $1350, United 35 Boeing 787-8

2. EVA Air SFO-TPE-KIX 1:00AM – 10:05AM+2: 17 hr 10 min (1 hr overlay), premium economy $1272 (economy is $654), Eva Air 27 Boeing 777-300ER

My friend suggested the nonstop flight and emphasized that it’s only worth pay extra for business/first class (which is totally out of my budget), but I am having some serious doubts on flying United since I read so many bad reviews on their Asia flights. I wouldn’t mind domestic flights, but 12 hrs on a United plane….yeah.

I’m leaning towards EVA since it means more space, better food, priority check-in, and complimentary alcohol and flight kit, but is it really worth it if I’m adding 5 more hours to my travel time? I tried justifying that I’ll likely sleep throughout most of the flight since it’s red eye, but I also don’t know if $600 is worth upgrading to PE.

What do you guys think? Is United really that bad? I keep reading international airlines> US airlines, but is a longer flight worth it?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
EVA looks like about 6 hours longer. Even if you have a bit more leg room, that's still an extra six hours of being cramped up and an extra airport to get through. Also, I'd rather arrive at 3pm and check into my hotel, spend a few hours looking around and get an early night than arrive exhausted at 10, wait for my room to be available, and struggle to stay awake until a sensible bedtime. For me, UA economy would be preferable. YMMV.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why not Shinkansen from Tokyo instead?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:18 am

Interesting choices. Boy, I'd hate to spend $1350 for one-way economy. I would most definitely choose EVA's $654 over UA's $1350. EVA's elite class from America to HKG is usually 2x economy fare, so that seems about right. Elite class on EVA is quite roomy actually, but personally I hesitate to pay several hundred $ more just cuz I'm cheap. Even then I would probably choose EVA's Elite via TPE over UA's nonstop esp if EVA still comes out cheaper as in this case.

Contrary to what jib says, I love the timing of EVA's Asia-bound flights. You put in a full day of work, go home and pack, and then you get to Asia early by sleeping on the plane instead of sleeping at home and then wasting a day on the plane. I usually fly cramped in the back of the plane on EVA or Cathay going to HKG, but I almost always arrive in TPE/HKG feeling fairly well-rested cuz of the timing of the flights being conducive to sleep. But again, this is all matter of personal preference. What works for me may not work for you.

UA is not too bad. Rather, I'd say Asian carriers (esp NH, OZ and probably BR soon as they go to 10-abreast on 777's) are sinking down to UA/AC's standard, at least in terms of food and hard product.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by evergrn
UA is not too bad. Rather, I'd say Asian carriers (esp NH, OZ and probably BR soon as they go to 10-abreast on 777's) are sinking down to UA/AC's standard, at least in terms of food and hard product.
Does EVA fly the 77B to Taipei from San Francisco? Otherwise it's 9 across.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Does EVA fly the 77B to Taipei from San Francisco? Otherwise it's 9 across.
EVA flies both 77B and 77M to San Francisco (currently) so the seating could be 9 or 10 in economy.

Personally, I'd fly EVA over United. It is true: International carriers > US carriers. That's just a fact. In addition, EVA has a 5 Star Skytrax rating! I would fly EVA's regular economy and spend half the price. Plus as mentioned before the timing is perfect: you can sleep on the plane and by the time you get to KIX you should be rested for the day.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: FT
If you get a free stop over with BR why not add the awsome city of Taipei to the trip.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:28 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this is more a question of which airline to use and less about traveling in Japan, I'm going to move this to the Information Desk forum for further discussion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
At those prices you can probably buy miles from one of the various promos going on across different airlines and fly over on a J award ticket too...

Wait for the next AS bonus miles sale and you can easily snag what's needed for JL J one way at that price point
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Pbnjenn27.

As this is about two carriers involving the Star Alliance, we'll move your post to that forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would make an Avianca Lifemiles account and wait for a 100%+ bonus promo for buying miles. They happen regularly every few months, and you'll be able to snag a o/w J seat for just under $1500. If you're willing to pay so much for UA Y, you should do this instead.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Pbnjenn27
..What do you guys think? Is United really that bad? I keep reading international airlines> US airlines, but is a longer flight worth it?
Yes they are that bad.

I myself made nothing but great experiences with EVA Air - good seat, service, food, and IFE plus reasonable and accommodating staff.

UA crippled the seat on the Dreamliner, the seats are very narrow and thin. I hate the "chicken or chicken" food non-choice and the mediocre IFE. The plane itself however, is very neat and the air quality on the 787 is superb. You'll be fresher than after a 777 flight.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Pbnjenn27
What do you guys think? Is United really that bad? I keep reading international airlines> US airlines, but is a longer flight worth it?
Hating United is in vogue, and no it's not really "that bad". But you're essentially asking "should I spend ($80) to travel in a higher cabin?", and the answer to that is a million times yes. If you're even considering a $1,350 one-way Y flight then I think it's pretty clear you have the budget to afford PE. It's not just "some legroom" like Economy Plus on United: it's a higher class of service on par with U.S. domestic First Class.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by weero
Yes they are that bad.

I myself made nothing but great experiences with EVA Air - good seat, service, food, and IFE plus reasonable and accommodating staff.

UA crippled the seat on the Dreamliner, the seats are very narrow and thin. I hate the "chicken or chicken" food non-choice and the mediocre IFE. The plane itself however, is very neat and the air quality on the 787 is superb. You'll be fresher than after a 777 flight.
10-across on EVA SFO-TPE is quite tight. It's news to me that some of their 777's on that route are still 9 across (maybe I should have checked harder before I flew). Otherwise EVA is very nice. But go EVA Elite (Premium economy) if you can. But I would actually suggest that it's mainly just a bit of extra space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.