Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Flying on Star Alliance Partners as United Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Gold

We are looking at options for an upcoming trip to London. First option is to book directly with Air Canada. I know that I can put in my United Mileage Plus number and earn United miles by doing this. Second option is booking with United, but flying on Lufthansa there and Air Canada on the way home. This option is slightly more expensive.

Even though I am silver, I have never flown on any of the partners, so a few questions:

Are there advantages/disadvantages with either of these options?
Will I be able to choose seats ahead of time with either of these options? (I am flying with my wife and would like to make sure we sit together)
Will the mileage earned be any different?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:24 pm

As a silver, I'd recommend flying whatever airline/alliance has the best price and schedule. I don't see any reason staying on Star Alliance (if it's a worse schedule or price) to earn a couple miles would in any way be useful.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
(note: I'm assuming you're looking to travel in Economy class)

Originally Posted by mknoebel
Are there advantages/disadvantages with either of these options?
I've generally heard bad things about AC Y. That being said, I'm not sure LH Y is all that much better, although I think they generally have wider equipment (747, 388, other Airbus).

Will I be able to choose seats ahead of time with either of these options? (I am flying with my wife and would like to make sure we sit together)
Generally, not for free. AC charges a seat selection fee on discount Economy fares, as does LH. If ticketed on a UA/LH codeshare, there are further issues as LH has trouble collecting payment on an 016 ticket.

However, because many pax do not select seats in advance due to fees, your chances of getting two seats together on a complimentary basis are very high. They might not be great seats, but you'll probably still be together.

Will the mileage earned be any different?
If you book via United, you will receive PQDs and RDMs which are 7x your fare. If you book via Air Canada, you will receive zero PQDs and RDMs as a percentage of the distance. Your PQM earning (100% of the distance) will the same in both cases.

If possible, I would look for options on United metal, where you Silver status would get you Economy Plus, or consider paying for Premium Economy on AC or LH, both of which are substantially superior products to UA E+.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a Silver, I would probably lean towards UA, where I could reserve seats in advance for free, with the possibility of moving up to economy plus 24 hours prior to departure. For the most comfortable economy seats, look for flights on the 767-300, which have a 2-3-2 configuration.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
As a Silver, I would probably lean towards UA, where I could reserve seats in advance for free, with the possibility of moving up to economy plus 24 hours prior to departure. For the most comfortable economy seats, look for flights on the 767-300, which have a 2-3-2 configuration.
OP is not considering any UA metal options. I fear your post will only confuse him into booking OAL on UA ticket stock.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Star Alliance forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
OP is not considering any UA metal options. I fear your post will only confuse him into booking OAL on UA ticket stock.
That's a fair point. So just to be clear, to OP:

Have you considered flying United instead of Lufthansa or Air Canada? Star Alliance Silver will get you nothing meaningful on those airlines; it will get you free economy plus seating on United.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise all. The main reason I was looking at AC or LH is because the price of their flights was quite a bit less than on United. So I'm weighing the price vs the benefits of silver.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:17 am

Thanks for the advise all. The main reason I was looking at AC or LH is because the price of their flights was quite a bit less than on United. So I'm weighing the price vs the benefits of silver.
If you're looking at a YYZ connection to LHR, be careful, AC flies their 77W HD on that route, with 398 Y seats. It is very much to be avoided.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew on the AC high density 777 on a 14 hour flight from YVR to HKG, and it wasn't too bad, both in an exit row and normal row. It won't be significantly worse than most other Y options on a short hop to Europe.

On the topic of silver benefits, UA is ironically one of the few (only) airlines to recognize partner *S, and gives all the Premier Access benefits to them. I can't think of any other *A carrier that has benefits for partner *S.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
It won't be significantly worse than most other Y options on a short hop to Europe.
You are AC's target market then. Couldn't pay me to fly that aircraft in Y.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

FYI... it is an Airbus A330 from Montreal to London, and a 787-9 from London to Calgary coming back.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You are AC's target market then. Couldn't pay me to fly that aircraft in Y.
I'm actually willing to go out of my way from now on to fly AC Y because they're one of the few to give *G's preferred seating at OLCI. That alone puts them ahead of just about every other *A carrier in Y.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:32 am

FYI... it is an Airbus A330 from Montreal to London, and a 787-9 from London to Calgary coming back.
A330 is usually a comfortable ride if you're in the 2 on the side. 787 and 777 are about equal.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by zeer0
I flew on the AC high density 777 on a 14 hour flight from YVR to HKG, and it wasn't too bad, both in an exit row and normal row. It won't be significantly worse than most other Y options on a short hop to Europe.

On the topic of silver benefits, UA is ironically one of the few (only) airlines to recognize partner *S, and gives all the Premier Access benefits to them. I can't think of any other *A carrier that has benefits for partner *S.
OZ gives some benefit to *S also. I know for certain they get Priority Baggage and I believe priority boarding as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.