Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Who Pays for Lounge Access in Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat

There are frequently disputes in different threads about who pays for lounge access in Star Alliance. Does anyone have real evidence as to whether it is the operating airline or the airline issuing the *G card? My view is that it is the former.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by johnirvine
There are frequently disputes in different threads about who pays for lounge access in Star Alliance. Does anyone have real evidence as to whether it is the operating airline or the airline issuing the *G card? My view is that it is the former.
Flying Y: The airlines issuing the SAG card will 'pay'
Flying premium cabins: The operating carrier pays
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no "real evidence" beyond the *A operating agreement which is a simple contract. It's largely as noted by cfisher above.

If you are entitled to lounge access as a benefit of the ticket, it is the operating carrier of the flight. Otherwise, the carrier which provides the benefit to you.

Because not all premium cabin tickets include lounge access, e.g. domestic F in the US, if you are *G via AC status and flying domestic F, it would be AC which pays (because the domestic F does not include lounge access with limited exceptions).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
Because not all premium cabin tickets include lounge access, e.g. domestic F in the US
Maybe there's just admitting that domestic F isn't premium...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The entity who's credentials you are using to access the club gets charged for your visit. For example:

United Airlines MP *G member
Departing BKK on Thai Airlines J ticket
Accessing the BR or SQ Club

If they swipe your *G card United is charged
If they scan your boarding pass Thai is charged

In the situation above I usually present both and let them choose.

SL
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:42 am

Sometimes an airline has a preferred lounge (like the one you go to). Do they get a discount? Say SQ tells you to use lounge A. But you use lounge B, which is Star Alliance. Is it just because lounge A is better suited for SQ customers or is there an actual agreement?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Keep in mind that there is a significant swap between lounges. As in, a UA member using an ANA lounge in Japan, and an ANA member using a United Club in the US. I doubt if much money really flows between airlines for club access.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Charges for lounge access are tallied along with other incurred costs in the clearing house used by *A members.

At some airports airlines designate certain lounges to manage pax flows better and avoid crowding. DEL is a prime example: LX sends their pax to a contract lounge, SQ lounge agents pretend to be not aware of *A access rights and LH sends their F pax to the premium plaza lounge upstairs.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SunLover
The entity who's credentials you are using to access the club gets charged for your visit. For example:

United Airlines MP *G member
Departing BKK on Thai Airlines J ticket
Accessing the BR or SQ Club

If they swipe your *G card United is charged
If they scan your boarding pass Thai is charged

In the situation above I usually present both and let them choose.
Surely the party that picks up the bill, is not determined whether the agent scans a BP or swipes a FFP card. If the pax is in premium cabin and would have access regardless of elite FFP status, the operating carrier will pay. If the pax has access due to FFP status, the FFP will pay.

The interesting question is how a pax visiting several lounges on the same flight, e.g. the SQ, BR and TG lounges at BKK, is billed to the operating carrier or the FFP. I doubt any airlines will accept to pay 3x lounge access if the pax decides to visit the SQ, BR and TG lounges.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Surely the party that picks up the bill, is not determined whether the agent scans a BP or swipes a FFP card. If the pax is in premium cabin and would have access regardless of elite FFP status, the operating carrier will pay. If the pax has access due to FFP status, the FFP will pay.
Surely?? In my example they swipe my *G card for entry. How will some 'system' cross reference back to the airline I am departing on?

SL
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The boarding pass is the key, the *A clearing system needs the details of the ticket to determine who has to pay. *G card details need to be captured if the ticket is not sufficient alone.

For example last November I wanted to go to the LH SEN lounge in MUC with a SAS business ticket which had my SAS EB number for FFP accrual in it. The system initially denied access to the SEN lounge so the agent had to swipe my LH SEN card to account for status and I could enter. In this case LH paid for my visit to the SEN lounge. Had I gone to the LH C lounge, SAS would have paid for the visit.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The most important thing is this - I don't know who pays, but I know it's not me.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SunLover
Surely?? In my example they swipe my *G card for entry. How will some 'system' cross reference back to the airline I am departing on?
No lounge will grant you access without information from your BP - you will not be able to enter a lounge with swiping your FFP card only (unless of course that the BP is electronic/stored on your BP).

Most of the times scanning your BP is sufficient (provided that your elite FFP is properly registered) but sometimes agents need to/would like to see/swipe the FFP card as well.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by catocony
The most important thing is this - I don't know who pays, but I know it's not me.
Of course you do. Every time you buy a ticket. @:-)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:57 am

Or maybe the person who pays full fare (because s/he only booked <14d before and stayed two nights at the destination for some meeting) and rushes to the gate without even visiting a lounge or checking a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.