Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LX A330 or AC 787 in J for sleeping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold

Flying NYC-MXP, the cheapest options for me are AC 787 or LX A330. Not really concerned about food since I know both are shortened services. I have to be well rested so I'm primarily interested in the best sleep and privacy. Both flight times are scheduled as the same, otherwise I'd choose the longer one to get more sleep. Flew LX before, and I enjoyed the flight and the throne seat was comfortable, but I know it's hard to get the throne. Meanwhile I've heard good things about the reverse herringbone pod on AC.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Free Agent
AC to ensure all aisle access- I don't want to be disturbed when sleeping.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Definitely AC. Apart from direct aisle access also much more space for the feet. On LX foot space is just about enough for size 39 ...
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'll echo the same. Most definitely AC for this one. Aside from being a superior seat, also the 787 is very quiet. A330's are quite noisy in the air.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Although I love LX ... this one goes to AC. Another vote for flying via YYZ
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Have only connected int'l - int'l at YYZ once - and it was a real pain. This was UA to BR late in the evening BTW.

Had to go through immigration (i.e. enter Canada), landside and again through security. Is this the standard approach in Canada?

I think both options are fine. LX J is perfectly fine if you get one of those individual J seats. Or at least I've picked those seats on the A340-300 in the past.

Of course AC J is ok too.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by nanyang
Have only connected int'l - int'l at YYZ once - and it was a real pain. This was UA to BR late in the evening BTW.

Had to go through immigration (i.e. enter Canada), landside and again through security. Is this the standard approach in Canada?

I think both options are fine. LX J is perfectly fine if you get one of those individual J seats. Or at least I've picked those seats on the A340-300 in the past.

Of course AC J is ok too.
Canada has INT-INT transfer, how long ago was that when you were there?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Canada has INT-INT transfer, how long ago was that when you were there?
2-3 years ago. EWR-YYZ-TPE.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've flown four times now on AC 788 or 789 in J and have never managed to get any sleep. I found the seats uncomfortable and very constricting, both for the shoulders and the feet. Also, it seemed rather hard. So my vote would go for LX.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nanyang
2-3 years ago. EWR-YYZ-TPE.
This was probably when BR was in T3. They are now in TI, making
UA/AC transfers to BR much easier.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Both flight times are scheduled as the same, otherwise I'd choose the longer one to get more sleep.
I was surprised to read this, but indeed YYZ-MXP and JFK-ZRH are both blocked at 7:50.

That said, I'd generally rather do my connection at the front end (i.e., YYZ, rather than ZRH), particularly with that last segment being in "Euro-Business."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.