Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa/Star RTW fares back again from OZ - $A1599 ($US1040) + tax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa/Star RTW fares back again from OZ - $A1599 ($US1040) + tax

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:16 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
And have you seen the SFO-MUC schedule vs the UA SYD-SFO schedule? yuck!

Also note the "NO CLASS UPGRADES ALLOWED" - I haven't decided if it is worth calling UA to ask if that means one can or can not use sweet spot certs on this fare...

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMEL:

Also note the "NO CLASS UPGRADES ALLOWED" - I haven't decided if it is worth calling UA to ask if that means one can or can not use sweet spot certs on this fare...

</font>
Please post if you hear something - I asked the same question here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/021707.html

Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Re the SFO-MUC schedule.
Being based here in SFO I find this flight to be quite handy for fitting an entire day in here and still making it to Europe the next day (albeit late in the evening).

The charming 12 hours layover on SYD-SFO-MUC is plenty of time to get into SF and stroll a few hills, which is great for avoiding DVT!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 5:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The charming 12 hours layover on SYD-SFO-MUC is plenty of time to get into SF and stroll a few hills, which is great for avoiding DVT![/B]</font>
The BART also now goes to SFO airport and takes you right into the heart of town - ie Powell, so you don't need to waste good bucks on a cab or a supershuttle which takes you to 3 other destinations all over town before getting you to where you awnt to go. It's US$4.70 each way.

Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF Platinum/Lifetime Gold, LH Senator, AF Platinum
Probably a silly question from a Newbie, but does anyone know if the Lufthansa/Star Alliance mini RTW can be ticketed for any other airline, or can ONLY be issued as a Lufthansa ticket?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by traveller1971
Probably a silly question from a Newbie, but does anyone know if the Lufthansa/Star Alliance mini RTW can be ticketed for any other airline, or can ONLY be issued as a Lufthansa ticket?
It's a LH fare so only LH paper AFAIK. Used to be the case last year at any rate.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:35 am

220 (LH) ticket stock for sure.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:36 pm

I've also got a question on this fare. Bestflights says you can fly via USA both ways, instead of actually going around the world. WouldI also be able to if I booked direct with LH?

thanks
goodo
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends on the fare rules. There's an LH fare ex NZ that allows both ways via asia, both ways via US, or one way asia and one way US.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:11 am

via US both ways

Did the LH RTW ex SYD about 6 months ago, via US both ways. No problems, it's actually written into the Fare Rules.

Also, they allowed me to open jaw twice (SYD-SFO-MUC-FRA-TXL (open jaw - TXL-STN on RyanAir), LHR-MUC-FRA-YYZ (open jaw YYZ-LAX on AC - Tango fare), LAX-SYD) Charged an extra $100-200 for the extra 2 sectors interally in Germany (wanted to get some extra status min 500 miles to requal on UA for last yr).

Didn't have much trouble getting the flights I actually wanted too on very short notice (2-3 wks b4 flights), was waitlisted on a few, but they all came through b4 ticketing.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:27 am

Thats great! I plan on doing this via US both ways at the end of the year, which will be low season, plus I've got a $800 US LH voucher to use up, so it's the perfect time to do it. I'll be short around 3K for 1P.

goodo
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by goodo
Thats great! I plan on doing this via US both ways at the end of the year, which will be low season, plus I've got a $800 US LH voucher to use up, so it's the perfect time to do it. I'll be short around 3K for 1P.

goodo
I'd check that out - I've only ever seen this fare offered by BestFlights and I'm sure it's some sort of special netted down component deals they have combined to create the fare offered. It's certainly not a RTW fare and given the routing restrictions on it, I'd say it's possibly 2 one way netted fares combined, or in the case of the relatively new return fares a netted down Euro return.

I'd doubt LH would sell the same fare direct (they well may do, just not normal to see a carrier selling the nett fares with overrides deducted like agents do) so I'm not all that sure that best flights would accept a LH coupon for payment as they miss out totally.
Let us know how it goes anyway.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:24 am

LH *do* sell the same fare direct, but they sell it for a little more than the bucket shops (eg: bestflights). If you look on their website it's there with the same rules. The $600 would more than cover the difference i'd imagine.

And yes via USA both ways is possible. I had to EDUCATE a clueless travel agent who couldn't READ THE *)@*@E) FARE RULES IN FRONT OF HIM on it just a few months ago (SIGH!)
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:00 am

fares

RichardMel - sounds familiar re travel agents who can't read the fare rules!!

As Richard said - LH do ticket this fare - and you can even collect the tickets from the LH office or have them post them to you. They are a little pricier than bestflights (by about $100). There is a 1% surcharge or so for credit card payments when booking through LH.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:02 am

Great that I can buy direct from LH! I think the $800 USD LH voucher more than makes up for the extra I'd have to spend buying from LH.

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.